• Russian Federation

Votes: 43 72.9%
  • United States of America

Votes: 16 27.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Samar Rathi

Country flag
Can someone analyze the poll results? Does the sample size give it any validity? Shouldn't the question have been "Who do Indians on DFI like...?"

I believe that DFI members would be statistical outliers in a political sense compared to entire population of India. That is I don't imagine a high percentage on Indians going about saying "US is Great Satan."
Nobody in India sees USA as great satan but a great fellow country and oldest democracy. The people in politics have their own discomfort regarding USA and military like Russia for obvious reason.

sgarg

Can someone analyze the poll results? Does the sample size give it any validity? Shouldn't the question have been "Who do Indians on DFI like...?"

I believe that DFI members would be statistical outliers in a political sense compared to entire population of India. That is I don't imagine a high percentage on Indians going about saying "US is Great Satan."
Agreed. DFI posters cannot be representative of India. However if a nationwide poll is held today, USA is unlikely to be favored as the person on the street only remembers that USA always favored Pakistan.
DFI posters are far more balanced and far more informed compared to an average Indian.
It is only software export industry where exposure to USA is greatest. The rest of the public knows little about either USA or Russia.

sgarg

Nobody in India sees USA as great satan but a great fellow country and oldest democracy. The people in politics have their own discomfort regarding USA and military like Russia for obvious reason.
"military likes Russa" - no! maybe some. It is the political group that is wary of USA. Professionals are typically pro-west.

However USA's continuing military aid to Pakistan (long after Pakistan became overt nuclear weapons state) is very worrisome for Indians.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
I doubt a wider public poll would ever make sense on it; for two reasons.
One has been covered by @Khagesh and second is that Indo-Russia relationship has been transactional in nature and State-to-State only.
So people making an informed judgement then would be too much of an ask.

Last edited by a moderator:

Prometheus

We prefer Russia obviously! ..... even if the choice was between Pakistan and the US or China and the US, the answer will always be the other country!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Did you not understand Stalin took Spain's treasury for "safekeeping"? Does not equate with Fox story on China.
There are many other sources that indicate what Fox states.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Yes, it is very pertinent question, and I will tell you that in general common people do have more liking for USA than Russia. heck, most people hardly knows about the affairs of Russia thanx to lack of coverage on Russian events by the local media, and more than adequate coverage of USA events, particularly due to a the huge Indian diaspora in USA.

However, you actually cannot count the Indians of DFI in the 'common Indian' category for this instance as most here are more aware of international events and are exposed to more than two sides of the stories in most cases, just being a active member in the fora. Our news media is unevenly biased towards West, but the internet is not. Therefore, we get to learn and speculate and a good no., I hope, can analyse the sludge from the pure news.

Frankly, US are not viewed favourably by most DFIan Indians, since its hypocrisy and megalomania is more and more evident to us, and that is trickling down to the common people too. The USA also have generated a huge amount of dislike during Devyani Khobragade case which could have been abated by Obama but for his faux pas about religious tolerance.

Nobody in DFI either says that USA is the great Satan, the concept of Satan is alien to Indians. Anyway, USA is not great Satan since it really does some good, but it is no goody-two-shoes either. It projects itself as the protector of humanity and democracy and what not, when in practice it has been failing in all those fronts miserably since last few decades. Its warmongering ways are not liked by most, and its holier-than-thou attitude craws at who knows it to be otherwise.

Ukraine is one of the examples of USA's unnecessary meddling.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles