Which Laptop to Buy?

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I am in a quandary. I need to buy a new laptop, and don't know which one to buy ?

I currently use my Dell laptop for internet, movies, music, reading, media server and office suite.

I already have a gaming console so does it make sense for me to go in for a gaming console ?

I prefer big screen, should I opt in for a smaller screen size laptop and buy a bigger standalone monitor ?:laugh:

I don't need much battery backup, nor care about the size but it should be durable and tough.

And windows 8 is coming soon. A dos laptop is atleast 5000rs cheaper than a windows 7pc, windows 8 upgrade from windows 7 costs 800rs. Should I wait for windows 8 launch and then decide ?

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
I would like you to try MAC O.S. for a change unless you have to stay with Window based O.S. for professional reasons. My apple powerbook (Laptop) 145B which I bought in 1993 is still running except once in a while screen dims once in a while.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
^^^ did I read write 1993 ? My laptops barely make it past the 2 year mark.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
If you want something portable all times but also big enough to watch movies etc, go for a 14 or 15 inch screen laptop. And I always prefer to go with Dell as they seem to be standard company among others (based on experience). And go for Vostro series models depending on your budget.

Don't wait for windows 8, you never know when will it be released. Go for windows 7 and later upgrade to windows 8 since Windows 7 had no problems so far.

If you want a bigger standalone monitor computer, then go for iMac. Everything is fit into the monitor, no CPU, no hard drive, no disk drive nothing is outside the monitor. You can get it for 65K on ebay.

Apple iMac 21.5 inch, 2.5Ghz i5 Quad Core,500GBStorage,RadeonHD6750M,(MC309HN/A) | eBay

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
Singh get a Microsoft Surface Tablet instead (release date 26 October, iirc) and if you dont want a Tablet buy a Ultrabook instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Singh get a Microsoft Surface Tablet instead (release date 26 October, iirc) and if you dont want a Tablet buy a Ultrabook instead.

Do not want a tablet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
If you want something portable all times but also big enough to watch movies etc, go for a 14 or 15 inch screen laptop.
I have used 15" laptops only. How about 17" ones ?
No need for an expensive gpu for watching HD content ?

And I always prefer to go with Dell as they seem to be standard company among others (based on experience).
My experience with Dell has been fine, their service is expensive though. How are Asus and Lenovo ?

And go for Vostro series models depending on your budget.
not aimed for my style of usage.

Don't wait for windows 8, you never know when will it be released. Go for windows 7 and later upgrade to windows 8 since Windows 7 had no problems so far.
Good point.

If you want a bigger standalone monitor computer, then go for iMac. Everything is fit into the monitor, no CPU, no hard drive, no disk drive nothing is outside the monitor. You can get it for 65K on ebay.

Apple iMac 21.5 inch, 2.5Ghz i5 Quad Core,500GBStorage,RadeonHD6750M,(MC309HN/A) | eBay
Very tempting but its not portable at all. I have to chug this thing from home to office.

Last edited:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
why you want to buy it, if you have gf, take her laptop, or make her gift you. If she does not have one change your gf, taker her friends laptop.

Last edited:

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
^^^ did I read write 1993 ? My laptops barely make it past the 2 year mark.
Yes Singhji. It is the quality of Apple products I am talking about. I also have 2003 Desktop G3 beige and still running in perfect condition. The latest addition to the family is 2011 IMac i5 with a 27inch screen.

Since we are talking about computers here, can some one tell me if Apple has stand alone stores or they sell through dealers only. Any one from Palampur area on this forum who has knowledge of a dealer in the Palampur area.

Last edited:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Please read my post. Don't want an ultrabook, don't want small screen.

Yes Singhji. It is the quality of Apple products I am talking about. I also have 2003 Desktop G3 beige and still running in perfect condition. The latest addition to the family is 2011 IMac i5 with a 27inch screen.

Since we are talking about computers here, can some one tell me if Apple has stand alone stores or they sell through dealers only. Any one from Palampur area on this forum who has knowledge of a dealer in the Palampur area.
There are Apple authorised stores in India. Not sure about Palampur.

Don't buy Dell.

Asus?
Why not Dell ?

Asus, Lenovo or Dell are the three preferences I have in mind.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Please read my post. Don't want an ultrabook, don't want small screen.

There are Apple authorised stores in India. Not sure about Palampur.

Why not Dell ?

Asus, Lenovo or Dell are the three preferences I have in mind.
Heating issues with Dell (personal experience).

ASUS> Lenovo though. (word of mouth :scared2:)

Last edited:

Defcon 1

Country flag
Dude write your minimum and maximum budgets. If budget is unlimited, go for alienware. If your don't want a gaming laptop, I suggest buy a thinkpad, which is as tough as a rock and buy a additional portable hard disk to store your multimedia content.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Heating issues. with Dell (personal experience).

ASUS> Lenovo though. (word of mouth :scared2:)
I didn't have much heating issues with Dell when I used it.
---

However, for my requirements will i3 be an underkill and i7 overkill ?

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Asus and Toshiba are good too. But don't know about the service in India.

Don't buy Lenovo because its Chini :p

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Dude write your minimum and maximum budgets. If budget is unlimited, go for alienware. If your don't want a gaming laptop, I suggest buy a thinkpad, which is as tough as a rock and buy a additional portable hard disk to store your multimedia content.
As much as it takes to get the best laptop for my limited needs that being said anything between 30-60k.

As I said, I already have a gaming console, and I am not a very dedicated gamer.

Will be using it for internet, hd movies, music, reading, office suite, as a media server etc.

Tough as rock but at what cost ? I don't plan to keep my laptop for longer than 3 years.

I have a couple of extra hdds, planning to buy another one. Storage capacity not a deal breaker, it'll fall short anyways.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Asus and Toshiba are good too. But don't know about the service in India.

Don't buy Lenovo because its Chini :p
hindi-chini bhai bhai !

Regarding service, I cracked my laptop screen (don't ask how). Dell quoted 15-20k to replace it, I paid my local repair guy 5k.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I have zeroed in on Lenovo G series. Intel i5 3rd gen, 4gb ram, 15.6" screen and around 35k. Any thoughts on it ?

mki

Go for Mac if you like, It is bit pricey but worth. believe me, you put your hand on mac and get use to it, you dont like any other.

One other problem with mac, you need to buy its license products if you want office suite again pricey.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles