Which is the dirtiest state in India?

Which is/are the dirtiest states in India?

• Jammu and Kashmir

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Punjab

• HImachal Pradesh

• Uttarakhand

• Chattisgarh

• Orissa

• Andhra Pradesh

• Tamil Nadu

• Kerala

• Rajasthan

• Haryana

• Sikkim

• Mizoram

• Meghalya

• Karnataka

• Nagaland

• Tripura

• Goa

• Arunachal Pradesh

• Gujarat

• Manipur

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
I went to Uttarakhand recently, more specifically to Hardwar and Rishikesh and could not believe how dirty this state is. Compared to Uttarakhand, even UP seemed more developed. SO which state in India is the dirtiest? Lots of people on this forum have travelled more than me, so you know better than me.

The poll is multiple choice btw.

Last edited:

pmaitra

Re: Which is the dirtiest state in

I went to Uttarakhand recently, more specifically to Hardwar and Rishikesh and could not believe how dirty this state is. Compared to Uttarakhand, even UP seemed more developed. SO which state in India is the dirtiest? Lots of people on this forum have travelled more than me, so you know better than me.
First of all, "dirty" is not the antonym of "developed," so I have no idea what you mean by your post.

Uttarkhand is by far much cleaner than UP.

The cleanest state that I have seen are Kerala, Meghalaya, Himachal, and Uttarkhand, in that order.

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned

First of all, "dirty" is not the antonym of "developed," so I have no idea what you mean by your post.

Uttarkhand is by far much cleaner than UP.

The cleanest state that I have seen are Kerala, Meghalaya, Himachal, and Uttarkhand, in that order.
Correct. Dirty does not necessarily imply backward. IN this case, however, Uttarakhand is both incredibly dirty and backward. UP has far better roads than Uttarakhand. If you found Uttarakhand to be clean, I cannot even imagine how much of a sh!thole your home state West Bengal must be! Pardon my language.

pmaitra

Correct. Dirty does not necessarily imply backward. IN this case, however, Uttarakhand is both incredibly dirty and backward. UP has far better roads than Uttarakhand. If you found Uttarakhand to be clean, I cannot even imagine how much of a sh!thole your home state West Bengal must be! Pardon my language.
Again, "dirty" and "far better roads" do not compare.

Don't try to imagine, just see with your own eyes: http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...ty-not-any-more-says-survey-2.html#post716498

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag

Can't say but I have heard that Odissa and West Bengal as the dirtiest states, I have heard stories about Ganga Sagar pilgrim in WB by my Mom, however it's still a hearsay.

pmaitra

Can't say but I have heard that Odissa and West Bengal as the dirtiest states, I have heard stories about Ganga Sagar pilgrim in WB by my Mom, however it's still a hearsay.
All pilgrimage sites are dirty, and that is because of the pilgrims.

I have lived in Bhubaneswar. One of the cleanest cities in India.

pmaitra

I am going by hearsay here - one niece and one nephew travelled to WB recently and found it very dirty.
North Kolkata or Park Circus is indeed very dirty, especially for me, it was a shock when I landed there from US. :lol:

I don't know which places your nephew visited, but there are nice areas as well. I would recommend staying in South Kolkata or New Alipore area or Salt Lake. Clean environment, but then the hotels there are expensive.

Coming back to the OP, I visited Lucknow, then went to Lalkuan, and then went to Nainital, and then visited lots of places in Uttarkhand. I have to say, Uttarkhand is by far one of the most cleanest states I have seen.

Sukerchakia

I dont think this thread is in good taste. The country needs to put more emphasis on cleanliness as a whole. Arguing about whose state is more dirty isnt going to help and will only create unnecessary arguments.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador

I am not sure on what bases would one judge because by far we Indians lack the concept of cleanliness per se and we keep our cities, towns, and villages very dirty irrespective, so to rank a state on how clean or dirty it is doesnt sound too convincing. Are we looking for, "among the blind, the squinter rules" (andho mein kana raja)?!

One thing is for sure, India as a country would rank very lowly internationally in terms of cleanliness.

parijataka

Country flag

North Kolkata or Park Circus is indeed very dirty, especially for me, it was a shock when I landed there from US. :lol:

I don't know which places your nephew visited, but there are nice areas as well. I would recommend staying in South Kolkata or New Alipore area or Salt Lake. Clean environment, but then the hotels there are expensive.

Coming back to the OP, I visited Lucknow, then went to Lalkuan, and then went to Nainital, and then visited lots of places in Uttarkhand. I have to say, Uttarkhand is by far one of the most cleanest states I have seen.
@pmaitra - Indians as a nation lack civic, so really everything is relative, like `andhon main kana raja`.

Last edited by a moderator:

pmaitra

@pmaitra - Indians as a nation lack civic, so really everything is relative, like `andhon main kana raja`.
Actually, the way I see it, there are few states that are really very clean.

Most of North India is usually dirty, but Himachal and Uttaranchal are very clean. Among the cities, I'd say Mumbai, Lucknow, Kolkata, Old Delhi, are extremely dirty. Southern cities are relatively cleaner. Slums, yes, slums, in Kerala are exceptionally clean.

All over India, some of the best cities to live - Pune, Bangalore, Chandigarh, Trivandrum, Bhubaneswar, and perhaps I am missing some more, and not in any particular order.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag

I dont think this thread is in good taste. The country needs to put more emphasis on cleanliness as a whole. Arguing about whose state is more dirty isnt going to help and will only create unnecessary arguments.
Yah, put some more money into peoples pockets and they will start remaining cleaner

pmaitra

Yah, put some more money into peoples pockets and they will start remaining cleaner
I heard DRDO was working on a project to build toilets for Indian trains?

:troll:

However, that won't stop people from pooping on the tracks, would it?

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag

Uttarkahand is the most sparsely populated and widely spread hardly having any cities.

Now all the villages have water toilets and electricity. Village life by far is cleaner than streets of Varanasi.

Where the hell did you find Uttarakhand dirty when Bhayans like you do not inhibit that place.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag

I heard DRDO was working on a project to build toilets for Indian trains?

:troll:

However, that won't stop people from pooping on the tracks, would it?
A well fed and well dressed girl would not poop on a track... she might go a little far..

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag

Uttarakhand is usually very clean in the hilly regions. Haridwar and Rishikesh are as dirty as any other pilgrimage spots in the plains of India. As pmaitra said, pilgrimage spots are always dirty, and this is a matter of great shame. Whether Varanasi or Haridwar or any other pilgrimage spot - any place with a great congregation of pilgrims is usually terribly dirty.

In Uttarakhand, if you move on further to Guptakashi, Joshimath, Ukimath, Kedarnath, Badrinath, Gaurikund etc. etc. you will find things much cleaner. Basically we have much more cleanliness in the actual hill regions as compared to the plains.

In general, hill regions and hill states are much cleaner than the plains anywhere in India, and among the states, Kerala, Himachal, and even Uttarakhand are very clean. South and West Indian cities, even the tier-2 ones, are usually much cleaner than the ones in the plains in UP/Bihar and rest of North India.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Don't imagine.

Come and visit.

Kolkata Municipal Corporation's target: A vat-free city

KOLKATA: Residents of several areas across south Kolkata were in for a surprise on Wednesday. Instead of the regular whistles they are used to hearing every morning, which is a signal that it's time to deposit garbage in the rickety vans, a swank battery-driven vehicle was standing at their doorstep to collect the household waste. And there were civic workers in uniforms requesting them on the public address system to dump their garbage.

Prodded by the chief minister Mamata Banerjee, the Kolkata Municipal Corporation (KMC) solid waste management department has undertaken an ambitious project to make Kolkata a vat-free city. The CM has given the Trinamool Congress-run civic board two years to complete the task. As part of it, the department first set up four 'garbage compactor stations' at Tallah Park, Kalighat Park, Southern Avenue and Ballygunge Circular Road.

Now, these battery-operated vans, once filled up with garbage, will go to the 'garbage compactor station' and release the load there. It started with the Southern Avenue station on Wednesday for which garbage was collected from Sarat Bose Road, Rashbehari Avenue and Lake View Road. The compactor will squeeze the garbage and the vehicles will then be driven to the Dhapa dumping ground for disposal of waste. These localities under KMC's ward 85 will be the first ones to become a 'vat-free zone' in Kolkata. ....

A KMC official said the civic body has bought more than 20 such compactor vehicles under the Kolkata Environment Improvement Project (KEIP). "We are trying to arrange funds for buying more such vehicles so that the entire city may be made vat-free," said a KMC official.

Kolkata Municipal Corporation's target: A vat-free city - The Times of India

Last edited:

Sabir

DFI TEAM

It is difficult to identify a state as the dirtiest as it varies place to place within the same state.

@pmitra I lived for couple of months in BRITS colony in Bhubaneswar...I have never seen any place dirtier than this....full of lawarish cows and cow dungs and dogs...

I have never been to Bihar but places in Kolkata with Bihari Muslim population are generally very dirty. Park Circus is not dirty (but one of the cleanest part of the city).... You have confused it with sorrunding areas like Tiljala ( slums full of Bihari Muslims)..

The cleanest State in India is Sikkim in my opinion; the guys there have good civic sense...

At last a funny thing......There is a canal just in front of my apartment (I live in Baguiati near airport).....The opposite side of it is under Dumdum Municipalty while our side is under Rajarhat-Gopalpur municipalty. When I crossed the canal over any culvert I feel it is totally a different place. The streets are neat and clean, Dustbins are provided in regular intervals..trees are planted, raillings are painted, direction boards are provided in every junctions....but in our side it is total opposite......So it is also depends a lot on the efficiency of the local bodies....if they give the lead ,,,citizens can follow....

Reactions: Ray
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles