Which Graduation helps in Civil Services (UPSC), SSC Exams ?

Discussion in 'Members Corner' started by Lions Of Punjab, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Lions Of Punjab

Lions Of Punjab Regular Member

My sister will clear her 12th this year . She wants to pursue her graduation in course which include History , Geography , Economics , Politics etc. as a subject . Or atleast most of those . I'm from engg. background and do not have much knowledge in this . So can anybody tell me which course would be better for her (Like BA with Political science or BA with Social science) ?

3. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

Nobody has answered this thread.

Ok, so here I will state a few things that must be verified from those that have recently taken Civil Services exams.

There are certain papers, such as Pali and Prakrit, that have few students in the area, and thus fewer competitors, and thus, easy to score marks in.

Other than that, knowledge of a foreign language, especially a language that India's foreign policy favours, would help.

Political science is good. Economics is also good. Social science, I guess is good, but you need to ask around.

Lions Of Punjab likes this.
  4. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Maybe this may help.

Lions Of Punjab and pmaitra like this.
  5. warrior monk

warrior monk Regular Member

Tell your sister graduation subjects don't matter in Civil services I have seen people with BA appearing as well as people with Phd from IITs also appearing only thing is she must be a graduate thats it. Tell her to join www.forumias.com a forum for civil services aspirants just like this forum for Indian defence and post her queries there. I hope that helps

6. warrior monk

warrior monk Regular Member

If you have any more queries about civil services you can ask me....

7. anupamsurey

anupamsurey Regular Member

civil service examinations (CSE) conducted by upsc have two phases- 1. prelim (CSAT 1 and CSAT @)- it tests the aptitude of the candidate. along with the comprehension and general knowledge of the candidate. the basic requirement to clear it is to have understanding and knowledge of class 10 maths, 10+2 science, geography,history, polity, economics and science (usually NCERT approved). along with English comprehension and current affairs. the Mains have subjective type questions with exams labeled as General science (GS)1 to 4. along with an optional subject.

practically anyone from any field can write CSE, as the exams are of general nature and not dwell to much on specialization. but the people doing Arts, commerce and science field have more advantage than say BE or medicos.

8. Shadow

Shadow Regular Member

One of my distant cousin who works in Indian Navy,aged 30 wants to now appear for civil service,but does law allow an armed forces personnel to join the civil service?

9. anoop_mig25

anoop_mig25 Senior Member Senior Member

yes but i think only short service comission are allwoed that to after completing job duration.plz check rules and regulation on upsc website