Which caliber do you prefer in an automatic rifle ??

Which caliber do you prefer in an automatic rifle ?

• Total voters

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
1: you mean heavy ? yes its is all it has is a heavy barrel due to old technology in metallurgy ,we have one of some tusker brand , if you hold it for the first time its fees little heavy but once you get use to it you don't feel the weight .

3:Insas was awesome experience i fired around some 9 rounds on single shot mode & 6 rounds on burst mode. The jerk while firing was not not that much as i was expecting . the 3 rounds per burst was good one then only i felt the back word jerk . Civilians are allowed in few occasions to fire the guns at army ranges when they organize demonstrations sort of things but i got to fire the INSAS & Carbine because of my Father's unit

5: i don't know if its was Beretta or not as i was told its an Italian made & my interest was on checking INSAS so i never bothered to check the markings on the hand gun.
If you fired with an army pistol, it would be Pistol AUTO 9 mm 1A.

hitesh

If you fired with an army pistol, it would be Pistol AUTO 9 mm 1A.

. Pistol AUTO 9mm is an OFB made copy of Browning Hi-power (Inglis) i guess & the the demonstrator specifically told me its made in Italy so i guess not every army pistol will be OFB made copy even if we exclude side arm for SF

Last edited:

ashdoc

Country flag
Which caliber do you prefer in an automatic rifle ??
[/]

Wrong question !
which rifle do you mean?
Assault Rifle ?
CQB rifle?
Sqaud Rifle?
Snipper Rifle?
Or any other rifle?

OK , lets put the question in another way .

Of which caliber should be the standard rifle issued to the common indian soldier ??

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Of which caliber should be the standard rifle issued to the common indian soldier ??

Test should carried out in Indian terrain ( Desert, high alt, Tropical Jungles )..

6.8mm or 6.5mm which ever preform better..

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
I would happily take an AR with m43 round in any circumstance.

Iamanidiot

Silly sausage have you applied for your gun licence yet?(the person knows whom I am saying to)

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
I first qualified with the M14 in 7.62mm and got the Sharpshooter medal (never could qualify as Expert).

On the firing range I could hit the man-sized target at 600 yards every time with iron sights.

Normally the M14 was in semi-automatic mode. An adjustment by the armorer could allow full auto mode.

I also later qualified with the M16 (5.56mm), but always preferred the M14. The M16 could be switched from semi- to full automatic.

(As a military policeman, I also had to qualify with the M1911 pistol in .45 ACP.)

Last edited:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Good poem, but the emboldened portion is wrong.

A rifle is a gun but a gun may or may not be a rifle.

A gun with a barrel that has spiralling grooves inside to cause the bullet to spin is a rifle. Look at the 'screw' part, but not sure in what sense it was meant. Both are for shooting and both can be fun! :)
I appreciate that ! *** of a ***

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
A Rifle is so called for its rifling and a gun is a barrel which fires a projectile including a rifle or smooth bore. The basic is "Gun" which fires. Heavier the calibre it would be called a Gun in both forms. For a shorter range up to,may be 1000 m, accuracy having the prime concern, most of the guns are rifled to impart spin to the projectile in order to make it more accurate, sharp and penetrating. Spin imparts physical dimensions to kinetic energy. Kill by kinetic energy would be achieved through rifling. And hence rifles will invariably fir shots. On the contrary a shell as against a shot is delivered through direct delivery chemical energy through Guns.

Rifled guns like that of 106mm RCL or tank guns can shoot spineless shots or shells by technological innovations like rotating bands. HEAT is a shell and not a shot but fired by a barrelled guns ?

So the concept of rifle and smooth bore gun are interwoven. Only that a rifle has to rifled and not smooth bored. But a Gun can be both !!

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Before jumping to the preference business, how many of you own an automatic gun?

This is OFB made Pistol AUTO 9mm
Please don't call OFB pistols Automatic. They are "semi-automatic".
By the way, I've heard that OFB quality is very poor (by international standards) and that there's a months long waiting period in all of the factories.

Edit: duhh :facepalm: sorry guys the "prefer" word in the title made me misunderstand the context. Later found people are merely talking about servicemen and some defense guys pouring in.

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Before jumping to the preference business, how many of you own an automatic gun?

Please don't call OFB pistols Automatic. They are "semi-automatic".
By the way, I've heard that OFB quality is very poor (by international standards) and that there's a months long waiting period in all of the factories.

Edit: duhh :facepalm: sorry guys the "prefer" word in the title made me misunderstand the context. Later found people are merely talking about servicemen and some defense guys pouring in.
OFB pistol looks like Browning Hi-Power. Is it produced under license in India then?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles