What would you do if you were elected PM of India?

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Known_Unknown, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Known_Unknown

Known_Unknown Devil's Advocate Stars and Ambassadors

Consider this hypothetical scenario: You are elected PM of India with a solid majority. You have your own party, which is neither Congress nor BJP. Your party consists of millions of grass roots workers as well as kar-sevaks, some of them armed with pistols, swords and other easily available weapons. The nation now looks to you as their leader and treats you as a demi-god (a la Nehru or Gandhi). You have all the opportunity in the world to fix everything that's wrong with the country. What would your plan be?

Here's what I would do:

Ban all other political parties. Amend the Constitution to declare myself PM and President for an indefinite term. Concentrate all national resources for building up the national economy as well as the strength and capacity of the armed forces. Plan to increase the strength of the army from 1.2m to 12m, with a 60,000 tank mechanized force and 30,000 pcs of artillery within a decade. Increase AF strength to 100 squadrons. Replace most of the Navy's surface fleet with indigenous SSN's and SSBN's. Privatise the DRDO and all other arms research bodies, and force them to come up with indigenous artillery, guns, howitzers, RPG's, and other basic weapons as fast as they can. Secretly accelerate the production of the Agni V and commence design and manufacture of the Surya series of ICBM's to deter potential superpowers from interference. Also massively increase the amount of nukes. :shoot:

At the same time, shed the pacifist pussy image and break all ties with Pakistan. Deny all overflights, ban all types of trade, deny visas to any and all Pakistanis except a minimal amount of diplomatic staff. Start harassing Pakis by playing with the water levels in the dams in Kashmir. Re-instate RAW's covert ops division, and conduct targeted assassinations of Paki armed forces personnel and politicians suspected of having links to terrorist attacks inside India. :spy:

Invade, occupy and annex Nepal, Bhutan and Sri Lanka. These don't have large populations and can be easily controlled. Annexation of Nepal and Bhutan will solve India's "chicken neck" problem, and makes Bangladesh irrelevant for the purposes of connecting the NE. :arjun:

Since a sustained and long-term war effort will depend on having continued access to oil, securing this will be the most important task. Coupled with an increased focus on exploration and exploitation of India's own oil reserves (Rajasthan could contribute up to 40% of India's total oil production by 2014 - Money - DNA), pacts will have to be signed with Iran and Russia to ensure sufficiency. :india::russia::iran:

Once these steps have been taken, a gradual build-up of tension on the border with Pakistan will be started. Ratchet up the rhetoric about recovering PoK, and convince the Pakis with action. If terrorists engage in gun battles with armymen across the LoC, crossborder raids will be carried out to eliminate them. In case Paki armed forces open fire, pummel them with thousands of arty pcs and MBRL's. The Pakis must be convinced that India is on the verge of launching an all-out invasion to destroy them completely. When this happens, convene a secret meeting with Pakis where an ultimatum will be served to hand over PoK or face extinction. :agni:

The Paki Army, seeing the huge difference in relative military strengths will choose survival over extinction. If they do refuse, start preparing for all-out war. Launch a pre-emptive missile strike with 200 nukes targeting the Paki capital, all their major nuke research facilities, storage sites, military cantonments, storage sites and weapons manufacturing facilities. At the same time, mount a massive air raid to destroy all their main air bases and aircraft hangars, while simultaneously blockading Karachi and Gwadar ports. Prepare a three-pronged ground invasion: one towards Karachi, one towards Lahore and one towards Islamabad. The Paki Army will have no time to react. Within a week, Pakiland will be under Indian control. Sindh, PoK, and Balochistan will be annexed. NWFP will be merged with Afghanistan. As for Pakjabiland, it will deserve special treatment. It will be surrounded on 3 sides by India, so Pakjabiland will be made an Indian protectorate (a la West/East Germany), a buffer state between the mad tribes of the Pakhtuns and India. :rip:

Once this is accomplished, part 2: Mission China (for next time). :panda::namaste:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
    pmaitra likes this.
  3. civfanatic

civfanatic Retired Moderator

1. Ban RSS
    2. ????
    3. Profit

4. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

One would prefer to be a President.

Keeping to the laid back traits that signatures everything in India.

It is a cushy job.

Great foreign trips of no consequences. Nice banquets. Inane speeches that mean nothing.

Sign some official documents of which one has no say since the Govt of India tells one where to sign.

Let all mercy petition pend for ever.

And ask for another terms for having a ball!

What could be better?

A great way to be the best and important rubber stamp of the country!

Known_Unknown likes this.
  5. Illusive

Illusive Senior Member Senior Member

Regain POK through joint IndoUS operations - we get a transit to AF and middile east, cut of PAK China border link.

Reforms in the judiciary system - Take actions against all corrupt politians, track their money and use it for educational programme and reasoning.

Reforms in quota system, Promote development of nano tech and research quantum physics, deep space explorations.

Increase Exports and decrease imports.

6. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Why annex nice, friendly and innocent nations like Bhutan? You want to make us more enemies?

Land route for transit around the chicken's neck can be negotiated with Bhutan without annexation!!!!

Better pay money and transit fees to Bhutan instead of the cracked up Bangladeshis.

Agnostic_Indian likes this.
  7. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

If I were the PM, this is what I would do:
    • I will make a gulag in one of the islands of the Andaman-Nicobar Archipelago and deport Jamiat, SIMI, RSS knuckleheads, as well as kidnappers, brothel owners, pimps, drug peddlers there. They can create their own paradise there.
    • I will introduce efficient people into the ministerial lineup, especially Elattuvalapil Sreedharan as Railways Minister, Kanwar Pal Singh Gill as Home Minister.
    • I will build high-speed railways connecting all major cities in broad gauge, be there mountain or glacier. One should be able to travel on broad gauge train from Tawang to Kargil.
    • I will build an interstate like system all across India.
    • I will setup different agencies for research and development. E.g., we should have two or more aviation companies, instead of only one (HAL). NAL does not count because they closely collaborate with HAL.
    • I will stop all exports of ferrite ores and pellets. Only high end products will be allowed to be exported.
    • If I see malefic trade practices happening anywhere in the world, as in the Basmati/Texmati case, we should legalise counterfeiting, patent and copyright violation for those owned by people of those countries, till they shape up.
    • I will classify Police, Military, Fire Brigade, Flood and Earthquake Relief, under a broad umbrella of Emergency Affairs Ministry and make minimum 6 months service in any one of these fields as mandatory for every citizen of India to be eligible to vote with exceptions for the disabled.
    • I will introduce a flat tax rate. Everyone must pay tax.
    • I will introduce weighted elections, where different citizens will have different weights to their votes. Therefore, if a person is illegally occupying the footpath and has setup a shop there, his vote will have less impact on electing politicians who have ancouraged such trespassing. Similarly, if there is any government funded company that is not performing well, the votes for those employees shall have less weight so that their votes do not affect elections just to satisfy their own selfish ends.
    • I will severely hike the tax rates for luxury goods.
    • I will remove all subsidies on petrol, diesel and kerosene. No more spoonfeeding. Let water find its own level. Yes, it will be done slowly.
    • Train ticket prices shall be on zero-profit-zero-loss for the sleeper class and on small-profit for the classes above. There shall be no more subsidising.
    • I will connect as many of the major rivers as possible using pipelines, so that, if there is flood in one area and drought in another, we can pump water to help both the regions.
    • Anyone who comes in the way of development will be (see first point) sent to the gulag for some time.

SADAKHUSH and Known_Unknown like this.
  8. agentperry

agentperry Senior Member Senior Member

1. boost village economy. neither world nor India can handle 1.25 billion urban population. village ethics of recycling should be encouraged while removing poverty and bringing in education and health facilities. IMPROVE HDI.
    2. boost "made in India" and "made for India" consumer industry.
    3. boost good quality education along with relevant education. ( no need to graduate a million engineer/ doctor every year).
    4. settlement of internal rebel movement through justified deals and agreements.
    5. boost agro output. india has 51% of land under cultivation and either we completely deforest our nation or increase our land fertility. i chose later option.
    6. only trade with pakistan.
    7. hike in military research. upper hand for researchers to do independent researches and not only those which are demanded out of them by forces.
    8. bringing in efficiency in govt offices. making much of thing online so that grass root corruption can be vanquished.
    9. trade diplomacy with LatAm and Africa.
    10. strategic interest cell in CAR and ASEAN.
    11. rapid modernization of state production facility incl that of DPSU.
    12. steady implementation of pending bills.
    13. economic benefits and social resettlement and rehabilitation for backward and outclass population so that very need of quota can be met without quota.

9. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

You cant do jack if you are a coalition PM and your "allies" are pain in the butt.

10. Yusuf

Actually being the PM is not the only thing. The ruling party or coalition has to draft a goal for development. They usually have been, calling it a Common Minimum Program but it has been at the barest minimum. nothing comprehensive with all the allies pulling in different directions.

As they say in Cricket, a captain is only as good as his team. Same applies to the government with the PM being the captain. He alone cant do anything though he can have a say in all matters. We may write all kinds of things considering what we think are in our national interests, if we were to be the PM. But the truth of the matter is, once in the chair, you are limited by a lot of factors. Ask MMS.

11. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

There are lots of general well meaning and good suggestions here.

Speaking in concrete terms however, I would do just one thing for the first three years of my term. I would acquire land. Barren land, land which does not yield good crops, empty land, no-man's land, etc. etc. I would establish a huge huge land bank in the first three years of my PMship.

The final two years, I would invite investment into those lands. Factories, smart cities, highways, rail tracks, etc. etc. With no land acquisition issues.

12. amitkriit

amitkriit Senior Member Senior Member

I will Concentrate on Infrastructure projects, they are the life line of Indian economy. I wonder why are National Highways going towards East ill-maintained compared to those running in North-West or South, when all national highways are under the control of the central government.

I will also focus on rural development, to stop migration towards cities. I will also help poorly fairing states of India, sustainable and balanced development is extremely necessary. I don't want to see people from one part of the country being treated like "Mexicans in USA" in the developed regions of India.

I will ensure better accountability of government servants towards the people of India, who are more focused on filling their own bank balances than on the development of the country. I will bring in police reforms to instill confidence in our law-enforcement agencies, who act more like the "law above the law" than real policemen who are ready to serve people in need.

I will bring in anti-monopoly laws like in West, which will encourage competition and innovation, SMEs are not getting enough space to grow due to money hungry enterprises who indulge into several malpractices, misuse their financial status and contacts to keep themselves on top of the pyramid.

I will concentrate on improving vital public services like healthcare and education inside backward districts of India.

SADAKHUSH likes this.
  13. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

arye yaar make me the PM for a day and i will make sure i make enough to afford me an ultra luxurious life across the globe, and something that can buy me influence across the globe.

i promise i will do fast and furious deals in a day, spend a big chunk of the 280b usd of the budgeted amount that no one has ever done in the past, but please please do make me one for a day!

14. maomao

maomao Veteran Hunter of Maleecha Senior Member

1) Get all the black money back.....
    2) Jail Nehru-Gandhi-Italians and their coterie, if they run away with our money hunt them down, strong anti-corruption law (could be Lokpal)......
    3) Eliminate Leftist/Communists/Maoists completely, their dumba## ideology will be thing of the past.....
    4) Poverty elimination
    5) Stronger Defense
    6) Better infrastructure, Education and Free Health facilities to all..........
    7) Strong Anti-Terror law and internal security
    8) Ban on all Madrasas which propagate hatred or Ban them completely.....
    9) Work towards further disintegration of terror & failed states such as pakistan so that World could live in peace.....
    10) Ban conversions and punish anyone who propagates religion through subterfuge......
    11) Objectivity in Media and cancellation of license of corrupt media houses with vested interests such as NDTV, IBN......
    12) Additional Tax on PAT and people who earn salaries above 12 Lakhs (net)........
    etc etc...........

parijataka, SADAKHUSH, KS and 3 others like this.
  15. Galaxy

Galaxy Elite Member Elite Member

Most important, I will be honest and not corrupt. :thumb:

Infrastructure development, Special attention on Agriculture and Rural development.

To move Literacy rate above 90% and below poverty line figure in single digit

Improving defence capability in all segment on fast track.

Regain Giligit-Balistan/P.O.K.

Make good relation with US, Russia, Japan, Vietnam, Iran, Europe, South Korea, Israel.

SADAKHUSH likes this.
  16. Naren1987

Naren1987 Regular Member

1.Reform the police, judiciary, bureaucracy, just get the basics right.
    2.Pump more muscle into infra-construction
    3.Get a food-stamp system in place and get rid of FCI, it's become a part of the problem.
    4.Separate church and state
    5.Last but certainly not the least, establish a proper education system, OECD countries spend 8% of their GDP on education, these countries have low fertility rates with a smaller percentage of their population under 21.
    We have a large portion in the under 18 age group, it has to be a lot more than 12%

17. captonjohn

captonjohn Regular Member

World would respect India more if I will be PM

World would respect India more if I will be PM because I'll do this;

Political & Administrative Reforms

1. First I will modify the constitution to give president enough power like US president so that he can interfere if government does such a shameless acts against baba Ramdev, try to kill Anna's movement etc.
    2. Would reduce the member of Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha and would make both of them equally powerful and important. That is each law must be passed in both sadan otherwise it won't get finalized.
    3. Make parliament equally important as at present.
    4. Create new organizations and laws to reduce corruption along with adopting Jan Lokpal Bill as it is.
    5. Create a new intelligence agency more powerful with similar doctrine adopted by CIA and MOSAD.
    6. Power up NIA to make them efficient.
    7. Make whole police system free from political interfere and transfer, suspension etc. would be granted by authorized person instead some political leader to make police more powerful and honest.
    8. Would launch a number of public centers where people can call and complain against any officer to take action against corrupted person.
    9. An internal intelligence agency would be generated which would keep an eye on police and other important employees to make sure they are working properly and honestly.
    10. An employee code would be established in which each government employee's work will be analyzed on yearly and based on that promotions, demotions, suspensions would be decided. All factors like number of works completed, average time taken to complete work, behavior with peoples will be noticed and would make a performance report.
    11. A Parliament code will be established in which each member of parliament must have to specify his actual income and source of income along with a "Sapath Patra" that if his income is found illegal or more than he specified in his document then that income would be arrested by president.

Military & Strategical Reforms

1. Would speed up the forces modernization process and focus on indigenous developments. Allow more funds for indigenous programs for good future of Indian military.
    2. Would increase carrier battle group from one to five till 2022 along with a strong submarine arm to counter enemy around the globe as a blue water navy.
    3. Allow more PAKFA, MKIs, MMRCA along with LCA to strengthen Indian air arm.
    4. Would buy Israel's Iron Fist to protect Indian Tanks from RPGs, Tank rounds and anti tank missiles fired from attack choppers.
    5. Would provide more funds for military modernization and training to make Indian armed forces as world's finest forces.
    6. Start various military robotic projects to counter terrorists and enemies in crowded place to reduce causalities of local people.
    7. Fund more to develop indigenous drone to be prepared as future warfare.
    8. Would deploy Akash, SPYDER and other SAMs to protect northern sector.
    9. Start a option military training plan for everyone who want it to create a huge number of youth ready for military services as needed.
    10. Would launch a mountain strike corp to deal with China.
    11. China has good airlift capabilities hence would deploy air superiority fighters along northern bases to counter such action.
    12. Speed up the development of anti satellite weapons to kill any chinese satellite to avoid anyone spying our sky.

When all this would done then this is my master plan.

1. Would deny the existence of POK and warn China to stay away from it along with PAK to leave it.
    2. Will wait for another terrorist attack and would ask military be prepared for war and when we got chance we'll crush PAK.
    3. Will launch special forces black operations to capture & kill Ajhar Masood, Kuraishi, Hamid Gul like MOSAD does and deny later.
    4. Will start drone attack on terrorists in POK to down the confidence also launch black operations to teach them their real AUKAAT.
    5. India will be too much powerful hence Chinese and Pak aggression would give them bloody face and a lesson then India is not a peaceful pigeon that can be cooked by anyone but India is a lion who can take a dragon along with PAK.

And most important I'll reduce the tax on petrol and diesel so that inflation can go down and people can buy stuff a little cheaper. :)

Scientific Reforms (Personal Dreams)

1. Will send a manned mission to moon to explore moon and give India a solid reason to proud after USA.
    2. Will participate actively in International space station and missions to go to Mars.
    3. Will organize a team of scientist to investigate and explore the secrets of earth's poles to get the clue that whether there are any evidence exists for hollow earth theory or not.
    4. Will personally organize a team to research and explore the secrets of Dragaon's Triangle located somewhere in Chinese sea.

SADAKHUSH, Tomcat, pmaitra and 2 others like this.
  18. trackwhack

trackwhack Tihar Jail Banned

1) Explode a megaton Thermonuke. Undermine NSG, show them the finger and say with or without you we are marching ahead.
    2) Quadruple Funding for DAE, obtain tighter timelines for full scale thorium/fast reactor based power targeting 20% and 50% of overall power generation capacity by 2025 and 2035 respectively
    3) Remove all petroleum subsidies by 2020. Announce the decision immediately to remove sibsidies by 2020
    4) Introduce large scale subsidies for industries and research that show demonstrated will of moving away from an oil based economy
    5) Heavily subsidize green farming : No subsidies for petroleum based fertilizer and herbiciodes. Massive subsidies for organic fertilizers and farming.

How would I pay for all this?
    1) Privatize the railways with the government retaining a 30% stake
    2) Sell Coal India with goverment holding a 10% stake
    3) Sell ONGC, OIL and all hydrocarbon resources.
    4) Dilute stake in BSNL, get private corporations in.

And Yes, Abolish all taxation including income and corporate tax and replace with a consumption based tax.

So many more things to do. No one's gonna wanna read it.

Dovah, LurkerBaba and pmaitra like this.
  19. pmaitra

There is a magic wand solution to that - gulag! :D

Known_Unknown likes this.
  20. Yusuf

trackwhack, I have told you before, there is no need for a megaton nuke.

21. pmaitra

In addition to what I have stated before, I just want to state my motivation.

I do not intend to seek re-election. I will not shy away from taking unpopular decisions. If dams have to be built, factories setup, land acquired or villages relocated, that will be done. I would not hesitate to pack off people like Arundhati Roy, Mamata Banerjee, Medha Patkar, Kabir Suman, Swami Agnivesh to the gulags. Sometimes, development has to happen under an iron fist. Sure, I might earn a bad name, however, at least, if I can turn India into an industrial and military superpower, just like Stalin transformed the USSR, I will do it. I shall never lose sight of my goals.

SADAKHUSH likes this.