What the Nobel Committee did is Wrong Here's Why

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by tarunraju, Dec 10, 2014.

1. tarunraju

tarunraju Moderator Moderator

To begin with, India has not done enough for its children. Kailash Satyarthi did more than what one man is capable of doing, to address the social-evil of child labour, and the need for greater child-rights. Nobody (me included) knew who Kailash Satyarthi was, before his name came up for the Nobel, but that doesn't mean I can't talk about the wrong Nobel Committee has done to him. With these disclaimers out of the way, let the rant begin.

Why the focus on Malala? Malala and Satyarthi won the same prize, and Malala is not greater than Kailash.

Even if you think about it, Satyarthi is the person who was in the frontlines in the battle for child-rights. He was the one on the ground, in near-death scenarios to liberate children.

What has Malala done, other than hopping between one air-conditioned banquet hall and another? Does she have ANY activity on the ground in Pakistan, and do the bipedal dinosaurs of Swat Valley give two shits to what Malala has to say? Are the children of Swat any freer today, because one of their kind went on primetime first-world television? Has the Pakistani government gained any international pressure to do something about Swat children? Has it responded to that pressure? Are there schools for girls in Swat? The number of "free" girls in Swat are zilch, nada, shunya, sunna, kodiguddu.

Not awarding Satyarthi wouldn't have raised eyebrows, as the committee is known to award undeserving drama-queens (eg: Barack Obama), from time to time. Malala is a talker, and a UK heartbleed media creation, while Satyarthi is a doer, who is not so much at making speeches, but the thousands of children's lives he bettered, speak for him. Granted his activities were not as popular as Malala's hollow blabbers, but doers don't talk.

Not giving this award exclusively to Satyarthi, and instead eclipsing him with Malala is an insult to Satyarthi, and his hard work. The Nobel committee washed its credibility (which was irreversibly damaged when they awarded Barack Obama), by awarding a bullshitter (Malala), and covering it up by co-awarding a deserving candidate. This is wrong on so many levels, that the western media is seeing the situation as "Malala's Nobel, which she shared with 'some dude' from India, because there must be parity between Pakistan and India," overlooking the fact that the "some dude" has done more work than Malala is capable of doing in 10 lifetimes.

Oh, and no, this award has ZERO consequences on India-Pakistan relations.

Let this Norway-blessed Indo-Pak suhagraat end already!

/end rant.

[​IMG]

[MOD Edit: Image appended as per request from user.]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
    Vishwarupa, maomao, DingDong and 5 others like this.
  3. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Very well put, couldn't have expressed my thoughts any better.

The worst part is, Malala is actually facing opposition and protest in Pakistan, by masses who are accusing her of "conspiracy against Islam", and she is also a target of the Taliban. Whereas Satyarthi faces no such opposition in India. So, why the bloody equal-equal? It is irritating as hell. Western head-in-ass intellectual farts are up to their usual wolly-headed "India-Pakistan-Hindu-Muslim-equal-equal-slavery-slavery" bullshit.

4. ezsasa

ezsasa Senior Member Senior Member

While I must agree that Malala is a media creation. There was another girl who was first given the opportunity to write that blog by BBC, unfortunately the other girl was too afraid. Malala took it up. And the rest is history.

Given that she is a noble laureate now. We should not jump the gun in insulting her and rather respect her wishes to complete her studies first.

5. Srinivas_K

Srinivas_K Senior Member Senior Member

Comparison of a teen with Satyarthi is not correct, Seems this teen has done enough to convince the jury of Noble prize.

Awards are not only about the work done, some times they are given to give a push or generate a spark in certain areas like women empowerment.

Congrats to both Sathyarthi and Malala !!

6. SafedSagar

SafedSagar Regular Member

This is pretty disrespectful for a man who HAVE ACTUALLY DONE something for his country and humanity. Not to forget Malala is treated as a "yahoodi sazish" in many parts of Pakistan and probably will be shot again. When i say such things i'm "Paki hater". Hell i have been called RSS agent too. :D

7. ladder

ladder Senior Member Senior Member

I will not get into comparison, but the speech by Kailash Sathyarathi was truly powerful. He is a very good orator.

8. Energon

Energon DFI stars Stars and Ambassadors

It is pretty clear that the Nobel Peace Prize is nothing more than a media creation and hence undeserving of much thought. Frankly they need to stop giving these out on a yearly basis and reserve it for someone who is able to put through a successful peace accord of some significance (that does not include a 5 minute rocket cessation program on the Israeli border). It is entirely possible that such an award would be posthumous... and that's totally fine. But handing them out like halloween candy year after year is pointless and actually devalues the Nobel brand.

I'm not sure there are any meaningful comparisons to be made between the teenager Malala and Kailash Satyarthi. Furthermore I don't really know much about the real Malala (I'm not interested in the media conjured apparition of her). I do however find something viscerally irksome about watching her father cash in on her popularity. This is just a gut feeling and it's entirely possible I'm misreading the situation. In all fairness to Malala the Nobel Peace Prize is awarded for symbolism, and so far her greatest achievement is symbolic in nature (unless we take into account her having survived a gunshot to the head). I hope she grows up to do something really meaningful for the women of Pakistan like Mukhtar Mai.

9. tarunraju

Exactly, by awarding a fake person and a real person, they have adulterated the real person's credibility. They've mixed milk with water, and sold what looks like milk.

Then don't award teens. Every teen has an inflated sense of self-worth, and aspires to be the next Einstein or Gandhi, until their SAT score shows them their place in the world.

Oh, the "in the future" argument. By that logic, with enough treknobabble, I should be able to convince the Nobel Committee that I will _in the future_ invent a faster-than-light propulsion technology, and bag the Physics Nobel _in advance_.

Yes, yes, and yes.

I'm all for rewarding people who have become symbols for something good, but I have to make a distinction in Malala's case. People of Swat Valley don't give two shits to what Malala says, the local administration doesn't, the government of Pakistan doesn't, and she's a paraiah to Pakistan for as long as she's into activism. So she will never go to Pakistan, she will never be that change-agent that she's selling us. Pakistan is not responding to international pressure on a whole range of issues. It's not responding to accusations of having orchestrated 26/11. How can you tell such a nation how to treat its girls? They'll just ask you to go F yourself, in diplomatic language.

hit&run and Bangalorean like this.
  10. Coalmine

Coalmine Regular Member

I think masala' s face will become like sharad pawar if she continue to give lectures and do nothing.

11. tarunraju

This is what Norway is trying to do, and failing miserably at:

[​IMG]

12. jus

jus Senior Member Senior Member

Wow,during my teenage days i respect/believe these west'n awards&their media (BBC/CNN) wholeheartedly. But now i'm unable to express my anguish&despair.These are just propaganda tools.Anyway thanks to internet&social media, without these i may still believe these west'n Godliness blindly :sad:

Excellent speech by Kailash.He speaks like a global citizen with Indian heart

and if anyone want to see drama queen.She is typical Pork!,Ind-Pak must work with each other bla bla

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
    hit&run likes this.
  13. Srinivas_K

Srinivas_K Senior Member Senior Member

Thanks for the videos !!

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  14. DingDong

DingDong Senior Member Senior Member

All the News Channels were busy with their mini "Aman ki Asha" campaign. That "Diwar par Nibandh" was already driving me crazy, now this!

hit&run likes this.
  15. tarunraju

Yup, they expect Modi to take foreign policy inputs from someone who fights pedophiles, brilliant logic, that.

16. dastan

dastan Regular Member

Congrats to both. Tbh i haven't heard much about kailashji before him being selected for the prize but after reading about him through various sources i do feel he's a deserving candidate for the actual ground work he's been doing all these years . But what in the world has the little girl (no offense) done to deserve the prize - has she really made any difference? West and their pathetic rhetorics !
    For one thing i do acknowledge malala though - most outsiders who've seen her hyped stories coming in media must've come to the conclusion that school going girls in bakistan are treated with bullets on way

17. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Politics at work is what is being suggested?

Suggestion that the award is on the same rationale as the Oscar for Slumdog Millionaire?

To be fair, all awards to have a political overtone.

Remember Obama and his award?

Or Gorbachev and his award?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  18. Nicky G

Nicky G Senior Member Senior Member

If anyone take this prize seriously after Obama got one just for winning an election, they are beyond help.

Anyway, look up who decides on this "peace" prize, its entirely political.

This was yet another childish attempt at Indo-Pak hyphenation.