What should the medium of education in India be?

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Waffen SS, Dec 21, 2013.

?

What should be the medium of education in India?

1. English through out entire India

61.3%
  2. Hindi through out entire India

16.1%
  3. Mother tongue through out India depending on different state, such as in Tamilnadu Tamil,

22.6%
  1. Waffen SS

Waffen SS New Member

What should be medium of Education in India?

Options are

1) English through out entire India

2) Hindi through out entire India

3) Mother tongue through out India depending on different state, such as in Tamilnadu Tamil

My vote goes for option 3, mother tongue medium education is best and suitable for Children. Germans and Russian are developed very much in science because, they use mother tongue in education. I tdoes not mean English teaching is bad completely, but English will be taught as a 2nd language but other subjects such as Science, math, History, Geography will be taught in mother tongue.

Whom we are trying to copy now even English people got success in Education only after they began to use their mother tongue instead of Latin.
    @Ray

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
    Free Karma and nirranj like this.
  3. anoop_mig25

anoop_mig25 Senior Member Senior Member

Bilungal as with CBSE.

led to overall development.

kseeker and arnabmit like this.
  4. arnabmit

arnabmit Homo Communis Indus Senior Member

English and vernacular throughout India. Add this to the poll.

Eg: Tamil Nadu = English + Tamil; Bengal = English + Bengali, Maharashtra = English + Marathi; so on and so forth.

5. jackprince

jackprince Turning into a frog Senior Member

English + Vernacular is best.

nirranj likes this.
  6. Deccani

Deccani Tihar Jail Banned

There is really no need for any changes as the Medium of instruction can be choose which automatically gives again option to choose first language, second language and third language . be it schools run by central government or State government or Private schools all are having this 3 language system .

7. nirranj

nirranj Regular Member

Everything in mother tongue and a second language for national communication is the best way forward. A child can understand and think better in its mother tongue. Also education in mother tongue will help in reviving, fine tuning and developing the traditional knnowledge.

We have lost much of our traditional knowledge to this english medium and victoria era based educational system.

VIP, Waffen SS and jackprince like this.
  8. Waffen SS

Waffen SS New Member

I am against Hindi medium education, it make non-Hindi speaking children more North Indian, and they began to ignore their mother tongue. In West Bengal I see it very much.

jackprince and nirranj like this.
  9. nirranj

nirranj Regular Member

Education in Mother tongue is the best way forward. I share your thoughts.

Every language of India are rich in traditional Science, Engineering and technology. Just imagine the potential when the children learn and practice in their language and have a lingua franca to communicate with the rest of the nation. If we integrate all these potential for the benefit of India, It will be great.

10. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

I have a slightly different view.

Technical education such as mathematics, science, etc. needs to be in English. There is no alternative.

Subjects like social studies, civics, literature, etc. need to be in the local language. Kannada or Bengali or Hindi or whatever.

11. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

medium has to be English, becoz its the only language which bond all states and culture together in India.

+ magaz -kapai abroad

12. Waffen SS

Waffen SS New Member

I am talking about High School and primary school education, not higher education.:cool2::cool2:
    @Ray:namaste::namaste:

13. Blackwater

If u learn angrazi from childhood then only u can successfull in higher education otherwise u will be struggling and end up giving IELTS and TOEFL

ramakrishna and pmaitra like this.
  14. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

In our famous north-south fights, Bengal is considered North India.

15. hit&run

hit&run Elite Member Elite Member

I have said it before. To save Hindi or any regional language we must learn English or any other foreign langue which is/may dominate the world. I hope you guys will think about it before asking me why.

The hint is prosperity. Without prosperity we can not even defend our borders; langue will perish with doom of its speakers.

Those who are over concerned about regional language have failed to see that today our languages are more protected than vulnerable like they were during British Raj and before.

roma and TrueSpirit1 like this.
  16. Free Karma

Free Karma Senior Member Senior Member

Thats actually not true, I've seen a number of students who pick up english later and do okay in these tests. Especially chinese. Besides most people go there for technical studies., and the most important criteria for that is a perfect score in maths. For english a basic passing score will do, and that is not very hard to get.

As for the hindi on a national level thing. I'd prefer sanskrit to hindi, cause it's actually a lot more similar to tamil, and a lot easier to understand...plus it's going be the common root for most Indian languages. I was genuinely surprised by the number of tamil sounding words in sanskrit, it seems there might be a link somewhere...but that is OT.

I wonder if regional languages wouldve survived if a national language thing was imposed.

nirranj likes this.
  17. Blackwater

I had both Sanskrit and Hindi In my school, nothing has helped me either in my personnel life and professional life

roma, TrueSpirit1 and nirranj like this.
  18. Waffen SS

Waffen SS New Member

Angrazi as a 2nd language, it was my 2nd language in school, I feel no problem now.

Besides as we see Germans, French, Russians study in their mother tongue.

CBSE board is a tool to convert non-Hindi speaking children to Hindi speaking Children, here in West Bengal I know many such who ignore Bengali and speak only in English, Hindi and in Banglish(English+Bengali).

Hindi speakers settle every where in india, and dont want to learn regional languages, CBSE board helps them. And ICSE board is to make Indians Christians, as most ICSE schools are owned by Missionaries and have names like St. Paul etc.:facepalm::facepalm:

So only state education boards are acceptable, as they teach Hindi in Bihar, Bengali in West Bengal, Tamil in Tamilnadu with English 2nd language.

nirranj likes this.
  19. civfanatic

civfanatic Retired Moderator

As a general rule, South Indian languages are closer to Sanskrit than North Indian languages. Languages like Hindi have a heavy Persian influence due to centuries of political and cultural domination of North India by foreigners.

20. Blackwater

even i also dont feel problem speaking angrezi after 3 pegs of daru.:pound::pound:

my concern is why should we pay 10,000 rupees to goras for IELTS and TOEFL

21. Deccani

Deccani Tihar Jail Banned

Persian use to be the court language but the masses use to speak in Kari Boli, It was only after the invasion of Delhi by Nadir Shah in 1739 AD that Urdu started to gain ground in North India but it was Sultans of BIjapur who made Marathi as language for trade around 1470 AD which resulted in a mix language which was mixture of Persian and local languages (Karli boli,Marathi,Telugu,Kannada) and this language later termed as Hindustani and with time Urdu/Hindi.