what physical fitness is required to join indian army????

narsimha99

hello and namaste to my all senior brother I am a newbie I didn't got any other place to ask this question so I am asking here.first let me tell you I belongs to a bpl family continuing my study in BA my parents have great expectations from me in tenth exam I got 85% mark after that I started using mobile and got only 42%mark in 12th science after that my parents are quite disappointed with me now I am doing job as a security guard now my aim is to join Indian army two months before I also joined gym to increase my fitness my height is 5"9 and my age is 19 .now what I want is when my BA exam will finish I want to try for Indian army I really need your support regarding this as I belongs to a small village and never faced any interview so I know nothing about this kindly plzz share with my what physical fitness is required I have already joined gym.when my BA will be completed my age will be 23.so should I start taking interview before 23 or at 23?? I really need your support. plzz help me. and my request is don't take me as a spammer for posting in wrong thread just take me as a child who needs help to fulfil his moms wish.

Soul83

that is interesting idea im not physically fit but i could see myself doing other stuff for the indian army like translating german or serbian or like that or other things which dont require physical strength. but im not indian citizen.

apple

The gym is good. Two months is no where near long enough to get fit. But you've got several years till you join, if I understand your post.

Do you understand the difference between aerobic and anaerobic exercise? Not sure what you're doing in the gym. But, if you're just lifting weights i.e. anaerobic exercise, you should try to do some aerobic exercise too i.e. jogging, football/ hockey, etc...

Google up "cross training" that's very popular now-a-days. Do people still use Indian exercise clubs (wiki tells me they are called meels Indian club - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), in India? Using them is a type of cross training.

apple

Cardio is overrated. Weight training can do both - build muscle and burn fat. Diet, however, should be in control.
OK... If you want to be body-builder, or not fat, sure. He's asking about fitness.

Wars aren't won by who can bench press more. Physical fitness, which only comes through cardio, has obvious applications and importance for the military

narsimha99

The gym is good. Two months is no where near long enough to get fit. But you've got several years till you join, if I understand your post.

Do you understand the difference between aerobic and anaerobic exercise? Not sure what you're doing in the gym. But, if you're just lifting weights i.e. anaerobic exercise, you should try to do some aerobic exercise too i.e. jogging, football/ hockey, etc...

Google up "cross training" that's very popular now-a-days. Do people still use Indian exercise clubs in India? Using them is a type of cross training.
obviously two month is nothing in gym I am planning to continue it till one year or more and then I will go for IA interview and
obviously like others I am weight lifting in gym but I am also doing chin up,pushup and running ??? what should I do more??? really thnx for your valuable suggestion.

narsimha99

Try to do parallel bar dips (as opposed to bench dips), and you'll see that it develops the upper body like no other exercise. Dips activate the whole upper body, but especially the arms and chest. For sheer size, dips are the best, better even than bench press.
I am new in gym bro I already tried this its quite tough after two to three week I will do it.anyway thnx

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Weight training is good for building a shaped body and also to improve your weight lifting capacity..But from my personal experience never miss a chance to run even if u are not at all interested in gym..Coz it needs a lot of stamina than other work outs plus it will improve your stamina and endurance level very much..
If missed some gym sessioons do 3 or 4 sets of 15-20 push ups,3 sets of 5 pull ups,3 sets of 25 sit upsas work out after doing necessary warm up and streching exercises.

Sylex21

Physical Conditioning : Prospective candidates are advised to keep themselves in good physical condition by following the under mentioned routine :-

Running : 2 to 4 Km. in 15 minutes
Skipping
Pushups & Sit-ups : Minimum 20 each
Chin ups : Minimum 08
Rope Climbing : 3 to 4 meters.

- See more at: Physical and Medical Standards for Joining Indian Army | SSB Interview Tips & Coaching | SSBCrack

Everything on that but the "chin-ups" and "rope climbing" part is really easy. Chin-ups can be difficult for some body types. I'd probably practice those two things a little bit and would just run do sit ups and pushups without being concerned about performance unless you are very overweight or physically unfit. I was in the American army and found the physical parts really easy for the most part if your only goal is to pass. Much harder than the physical was the mental toll that going into boot camp took. Really it is pretty much all mental, the body will easily adjust to anything and it is not hard to be fit when you are working out 8-16 hours a day in basic training.

As for how to get in shape, it is much better to just run generally for endurance as well as hiking/walking long distances. You will be out in the sun all day everyday marching long distances. Getting use to hot weather helps a lot depending on where you will go to train, but the body adjusts quickly so it is not a big issue after the first week. Just practice exercises the way they test and grade them (watch videos online). For example if they test pushups in 2min, don't just practice pushups, practice how many push ups you can do in 2 minutes and then stop till your muscles recover 30min+ later. Small tip if you want to push your test day results you can take an Ibuprofen (maybe tylenol?) or any similarly mild pain killer allowed in most places and armies for a cold and it will suppress tension in your muscles enough to pump out about another 10 punch ups etc.. on test day. Can give you a little edge if you are nervous about your test results.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles