What motivates Indian Bureacrats to provide substandard service?

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by SADAKHUSH, Nov 17, 2012.

1. SADAKHUSH

SADAKHUSH Senior Member Senior Member

Just as, I have experienced substandard service at the hands of Government employees there would be millions of my country men and women who must have had the same experience. The very recent one is about my son's call to Visa office in New Delhi. The officials in office asked where he is calling from and hung up the phone twice on him. Don't they get paid enough to deliver fair share of the service to the public instead of giving them run around. How can any one visualize or dream of India being a superpower when the foundation itself so weak.

3. blank_quest

blank_quest Senior Member Senior Member

give them "speed money".it will do charms to them :)

4. SADAKHUSH

The fact is I am not in your super power wannabe country otherwise they will get taste of my treatment reserved for such characters. I have had two dealings with them directly and their refusal to deliver the service as per the regulations of Government brought them lots of pain with out getting a single paisa. I am under lifelong oath to protect the fairness in Government departments and make sure that nobody gets paid by me for any duty they perform for me.

5. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

No other country or Super computer can compare to this Speed Money. Your work will be done within the time you blink your eye. :lol:

6. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

Would going through India Consular & Visa Services in Canada be an option for you?

Oh, dear. I found an answer to my own question. :-(

Consulate General Of India
    Suite 201-325 Howe St Vancouver, BC V6C 1Z7 Canada‎

https://plus.google.com/109241185762191585308/about?hl=en

7 Reviews from everyone and 2 scores without reviews
    A Google User reviewed 7 months ago
    Overall Poor to fair

These reviews tell me more about India than I would want to know.

Worse than the DMV in the States!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  7. drkrn

drkrn Senior Member Senior Member

won't work here. they are too lazy

8. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

Check the successful `Sakaala` (meaning `in time`) Service introduced in April 2012 by BJP govt in Karnataka that guarantees service to the citizen within a stipulated time. Central govt as well as states such as Bihar and Orissa and even Bangladesh have sent teams to study the scheme that has 265 services under it and starting March 2013 will go online.

I am hoping BJP will be given a mandate in 2014 to rule at Delhi for the sake of better governance - even in a relatively less dynamic state like Kar compared to BJP ruled states like Guj, Goa, MP, etc the state govt has done a reasonably good job. Of course with deeply corrupt parties such as SP, BSP and DMK holding up Congress and the likelihood of a `secular` Third Front ganging up with Congress(I) support I am not very hopeful.

114 new services under Sakala

9. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Complacency and routine promotion as per years of service does make Jack a dull boy.

It is better to play safe than be sorry, riddled with worry.

IAS = I Am Sorry.

Note how the CAG became active and developed a spine, only after he was rid of the shackles of govt bureaucracy.

10. SADAKHUSH

When we have people like you in India who through their several posts dream of getting rid of corruption than come here with a different hat to advise me to give so called "Dirty speed money." I have other plans on my mind as to how to give the speed money to get the work done and it is not allowed under the rules of my other side of personality.

If you allow me than my advise to you is either you stand for a corrupt system or against it and hope you take the right stand all the time by putting your nation first than the self interest.

I don't think you did read my post in which it is clearly mentioned twice incidents occurred where officials demanded money to sign some documents and both the times I turned the table on them and they ended up apologizing for their misconduct. This time around I will get the visa for my son without giving speed money. the only extra cost to me is my extra time being spent on something which should not happen only if our public servants start coducting their business as the counterparts in the developed parts of the world do.

11. SADAKHUSH

Actually Toronto is closer to my city but he is in India at the present time and will have to be obtained from there officially. Thanks for your concerns and guidance.

12. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

Motivations:

Political-bureaucratic nexus.
    Unlimited power. If a bureaucrat decides to sit on your file, it becomes a near impossible to get the file moving.
    By and large no accountability.
    A very corrupt system.
    A justice system which is nearly in as bad a shape.
    No real work culture.
    Very strong employees' unions.

parijataka likes this.
  13. VIP

I'm not supporting this system. I was telling the hard,bitter and sad truth of this country. I'm taking no pride for such practice but I'm also not shy to expose it to whole world. And my post wasn't for you, I quoted another user's post.It was for him and his post was above your clarification, I admit I didn't see your post after his.

14. SADAKHUSH

I am a straight shooter and do not believe too much in the term called "Politically correct" while replying to the comments by fellow forum members. It is not to be taken personally but through the eyes of truth seekers. Don't you think by supporting the suggestion of blank_quest you are supporting the system? Why not accept the fact that your choice was wrong and make a pledge to yourself that in future you will take the right stand on the issues affecting the future of the nation and generation those will come after we are gone.

My friend, I have been aware of all kinds of corruption that has been part of culture in our motherland and whole world knows about it so I do not know what have you exposed as you have claimed. The right honorable thing would have been to accept the mistake made and than we can move on the right path.

By reading the response of my fellow members and yours as well, I have a question to ask all of you which is as follows:

What one to ten steps would you take to bring an end to this social problem which breeds other problems in our country?

I have couple of suggestions the first step will be to equip my self with hidden camera to record the demands of bureaucrats and than expose them in the media and to authorities.

15. SADAKHUSH

What steps do you suggest should be taken to end the this culture of corruption in our nation once for all?

16. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

I quite like the IAC and team Anna's take on corruption, and the over all administrative reforms they talk about, which is reformation across the board, top down, at every level. I would imagine if that can be implemented, corruption, non-seriousness towards work, no-commitment, no regulation, lethargic attitude should be checked but those proposals do need to be implemented to the fullest and in all honesty.

Can we do it? Looking at the Indian private sector, I feel encouraged. It is absolutely the same set of people but whose minds have been trained differently, and so both have delivered absolutely different set of results. But can that success be replicated in a government set up, I have my doubts. There is one success I want to underscore here. The Indian public sector banks were in as pathetic a shape with absolutely same attitude towards work and customers, but with competition and private players eating up into their market share, even these people have smartened up, the very same people who didn't want to work can today go out of their way to get the work done, so not all hope is lost either, but then change happens here at a snail pace.

Important thing is, do people want to change for the better? This is what happened in Himachal. The then CM, Shanta Kumar, made "no work, no pay" mandatory because a big number of government employees would go on leave for various reasons and the government work would get hindered and people of the state at large would suffer. It was obvious the employees would be up in arms, which they were but did the people of the state at large support the chap? No, nor did his party.

On this very forum a good number of our members have taken a stand against the IAC, team Anna on their stand on corruption, inefficiency, which I think is their only strong point, now if such well educated people don't want the said change and are fine with bribing their way, and using their contacts where ever possible, do you think the Indian, not so well educated, would even be thinking about any such change?

I don't think we really visualize of being any such super power, a dream, remote possibility, but we as a country are far from working towards making India one. China visualizes, China is working for it, and China becoming one is a very real possibility.

17. blank_quest

First step should be to change the structure in which bureaucrats are sustaining. They must get through Regular Assessment Program where they should be audited for their qualitative and quantitative "Outcome" and an "Annual Outcome Survey" for all bureaucrats. That itself should be posted online and people must be allowed to give the preference for whom they would like to come into their "constituency" being numbered from the already made-up list from something like no. 1 to 10.That would itself weed away the nexus of transfers and posting/deputation and bring about the freedom of being harassed by politicians. It will alter the whole ladder from upside down..

18. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Sakal Gharelu Ustad Detests Jholawalas Moderator

Lets reduce the number of bureaucrats..and bring in private competing firms wherever possible.

Need another revolution like the one in mobile networks.

19. blank_quest

do you know India had 600 bureaucrats as IFS where as China has something in thousands and by the time when China will have its Share of Diplomats somewhere in 2020's of about 10000, India will have just 1200 at current pace. India needs to increase more bureaucrats but ya privatization can help a lot. Recruitment trend should also be changed.

20. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Sakal Gharelu Ustad Detests Jholawalas Moderator

Interesting info.

Yes. There should be more hire and fire..Create some incentives for people working in the foreign office to deliver better results.

21. VIP

I was not at all supporting what he said. I was adding more essence in the statement that how this system works and I don't even think blank was also SERIOUSLY suggesting you to bribe those [email protected] If you don't get MY sarcasm, it's not my problem.I might be wrong about blank's statement that he wasn't serious but I was definitely joking and that's true.