What military equipment would YOU like to see in the Indian Armed Forces

jackhammer2

Country flag
Peace or war your rifle stays the same, Three round burst saves ammo, the only reason IA use AKM is for M43 bullets..
Thanx for the reply however I would like to add something rifle remains same but its purpose changes our soldier gets ambushed in forest for daily basis in naxal affected areas and J/K and for these situations one needs to fire as many rounds he can in every possible direction and they also gets outnumbered (same is the case with urban combats) in these situations you can only suppress your enemy with fire only if you have an auto mode in your rifle (single MG in these situations don't do much good)...

The best way is to have a LMG which accepts both Mag and Drum, Otherwise there are LMG and GPMG in a squad..
Did you mean mag and belt fed cause I thought drum is just a diff kind of mag only.:shocked:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Thanx for the reply however I would like to add something rifle remains same but its purpose changes our soldier gets ambushed in forest for daily basis in naxal affected areas and J/K and for these situations one needs to fire as many rounds he can in every possible direction and they also gets outnumbered (same is the case with urban combats) in these situations you can only suppress your enemy with fire only if you have an auto mode in your rifle (single MG in these situations don't do much good)...
Burst mode do the same, In full auto one cannot keep its trigger pressed as the barrel tend to go upwards, Even in auto men do burst ..

Did you mean mag and belt fed cause I thought drum is just a diff kind of mag only.:shocked:
Drum is another kind of Mag, I mixed it with Belt, My bad..

Drum is a good but reloading it is very complex compare to belt feed once..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
PT A-Alpha Matte

Looks Ok without Air vent holes, This is not a space tech, Just a new deign..

SPIEZ

Country flag
Well, I already get my wish for Rafale. I would also like to see MMRT, Fennec LUH, Mistral LPD, Marlin AIP, Snecma cored Kaveri, AASM, Scalp EG, Miatri VL.. maybe A400M.

What is an MMRT ? We have the Dhruv instead of the Fennec.
I double all the others though.

SPIEZ

Country flag
Wikipedia claims that India ordered the Javelin. Javelin is good, but it is not excellent, and Discovery channel probably tells only half of the truth. Javelin has a top attack mode and therefore it is capable of penetrating most likely all tanks. The warheads per se are not very strong. It is also a very expensive system.
Contrary to US tests done by the manufacturer, where it achieved a hit probability of 94%, it does achieve just ~50% in field. The main sight (TI) is not pre-cooled, which means that the launch unit will need 2 to 4 minutes until it is ready for firing - not ideal when you are ambushed.
OTOH Javelin is one of the very few systems of it's generation, with SPIKE-LR being it's greatest concurrent (SPIKE has better penetration and a slightly longer range, while also being a top-attack fire&forget ATGM). Possibly Tigrat-MR would have been the best choice, but it was canceled. IMO older SACLOS systems like Kornet or MILAN ADT-ER should be prefered ATM, as they offer similar (or even better) hit probability and greater range and penetration for a fraction of costs. They won't kill a tank frontally, but from the sides they can take out any existing MBT.

I think you forgot energy shields and phasers...

I suppose you chose the HOT image because it illustrates the idea of a tube-launched missile good? HOT does have a rather low penetration (80 cm), no tandem warhead and is quite heavy. India has NAG, which should offer superior performance to the early HOTs at least.
The RPG-29 has become a "mythical" weapon because it was able to penetrate the armour of the Challenger 2, M1A1/2 and Merkava III/IV, but just in some regions. IMO the RPG-29 has a significant drawback: the projectile is housed inside the barrel. This limits the warhead caliber to just 105 mm. This design has only a very limited possibility to increase performance (by using new explosives and other liner materials), so I would prefer a RPG allowing different sizes of warheads, like the German PzF-3.

VAB can achieve STANAG 4569 Level 4 when fitted with German MEXAS armour (also used on Fuchs, Stryker, LAVs etc.) and additional mine protection. Without it it can be penetrated by anything larger than a 7.62 mm ball round.

Actually many of the later APCs are designed to survive HMG fire. Older ones (VAB, Fuchs, LAVs and the Stryker) can be fitted with different types of applique armour, most commonly MEXAS and AMAP from the German company IBD Deisenroth Engineering. With this they can survive HMG rounds (12.7 mm and 14.5 mm). MEXAS used on them consists of an outer steel layer, ballistic cover, Aluminium oxide ceramics, a backing and the steel hull. This forms the "thin boxes". RPGs will not knock them off (thats not the way HEAT projectiles work), but easily punch through them. Some of the latest APCs like the Boxer and the Patria AMV are protected against 30 mm APDS (frontally at least).

The Stryker and the Bradley are not really good vehicles. The M113 is outdated and is being replaced in most armies or upgraded. Having 3 types of heavy attack helicopters is also rather funny... why three types?
The DURO III has been criticized in German forums and media. It is not very good as ambulance, at least not in Afghanistan - they proved to be to vulnerable to Taliban weaponary and not mobile enough.
You just talk the talk, where's the link for all that you have mentioned ?

____
IMO India should get a good IFV first.
I totally agree with you on this one. There's a thread on a similar light mech.
http://defenceforumindia.com/indian...y-adopt-light-mech-concept-read-1st-post.html

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
What is an MMRT ? We have the Dhruv instead of the Fennec.
I double all the others though.
I meant MRTT...

The Dhruv is a 1000shp+ dual engine helicopter. The LUH is single engine 1000shp - so two different classes.

Last edited by a moderator:

SPIEZ

Country flag
For which statement do you want a source?
About the German PzF 3 being better than the RPG 29. The RPG 29 has done exactly what it is supposed to do, still criticism comes along with the Russian equipment.

Also I chose the HOT because it was both tube launched and because of it's performance in Libya.

methos

Country flag
About the German PzF 3 being better than the RPG 29. The RPG 29 has done exactly what it is supposed to do, still criticism comes along with the Russian equipment.
It is a very simple thing. The performance of HEAT warheads depends on the caliber of the shaped charge, the explosive filler and the liner material. If we assume that both Russia and Germany use a similar level of technology, then the PzF 3 will end being better, because it can (and does) use larger warheads.
By this PoV the RPG-7 is even "better" than the RPG-29 - not because it offers superior performance at the moment, but because it was capable of staying a potent threat even nowadays. The warhead of the RPG-7 ammunition is not inside of the launching tube, so performance could be increased; the diameterof the warhead increased from 73 mm in the 60s to a 105 mm tandem warhead in the PG-7VR projectile, which offers penetration performance similar to the RPG-29. The main problem with the RPG-7 (except it's old age and outdated materials) is that the launching tube is limited diameter, which means that larger warheads will be slower and therefore have low velocity and range. The RPG-29 has twice the velocity and range than the PG-7VR projectile.
The PzF 3 is designed in such a way, that the launching tube is part of the ammunition. So both launching tube diameter and projectile diameter can be changed, while the original launcher can be retained. The manufacturer has developed several versions ranging from 60 mm and 90 mm (e.g. used by Switzerland) to the basic German version with a 110 mm warhead, if required an even larger version could be designed in the future, using the same launch unit - not possible with the RPG-29. The claimed penetration for the latest version (PzF 3-IT-600) is about 1,000 mm RHA (which is still too less to beat a PT-91 with ERAWA-2 ERA). Another significant advantage of the PzF 3 is that its launcher is incorporating a laser rangefinder and a ballistic computer. The main drawback is pretty clearly that less ammo can be carried by a single soldier.
Here are two packed PzF 3 launch unit:

And here is a loaded launcher and ammo:

Also I chose the HOT because it was both tube launched and because of it's performance in Libya.
Yes, it is a good missile, but you presented the basic version with 800 mm RHA penetration and no tandem warhead. Even though, India has NAG for the NAMICA ATGM carrier.
HOT is being replaced in most countries. Germany uses PARS-3, French wants to have the Hellfire-2, Spain went with Spike.

SPIEZ

Country flag
It is a very simple thing. The performance of HEAT warheads depends on the caliber of the shaped charge, the explosive filler and the liner material. If we assume that both Russia and Germany use a similar level of technology, then the PzF 3 will end being better, because it can (and does) use larger warheads.
By this PoV the RPG-7 is even "better" than the RPG-29 - not because it offers superior performance at the moment, but because it was capable of staying a potent threat even nowadays. The warhead of the RPG-7 ammunition is not inside of the launching tube, so performance could be increased; the diameterof the warhead increased from 73 mm in the 60s to a 105 mm tandem warhead in the PG-7VR projectile, which offers penetration performance similar to the RPG-29. The main problem with the RPG-7 (except it's old age and outdated materials) is that the launching tube is limited diameter, which means that larger warheads will be slower and therefore have low velocity and range. The RPG-29 has twice the velocity and range than the PG-7VR projectile.
The PzF 3 is designed in such a way, that the launching tube is part of the ammunition. So both launching tube diameter and projectile diameter can be changed, while the original launcher can be retained. The manufacturer has developed several versions ranging from 60 mm and 90 mm (e.g. used by Switzerland) to the basic German version with a 110 mm warhead, if required an even larger version could be designed in the future, using the same launch unit - not possible with the RPG-29. The claimed penetration for the latest version (PzF 3-IT-600) is about 1,000 mm RHA (which is still too less to beat a PT-91 with ERAWA-2 ERA). Another significant advantage of the PzF 3 is that its launcher is incorporating a laser rangefinder and a ballistic computer. The main drawback is pretty clearly that less ammo can be carried by a single soldier.
Here are two packed PzF 3 launch unit:

And here is a loaded launcher and ammo:
I m guessing the price would be out of range. To be honest I like the RPG range of vintage weapons as it still proves it's mettle today. I m guessing the PzF3 is going to be very expensive.

Yes, it is a good missile, but you presented the basic version with 800 mm RHA penetration and no tandem warhead. Even though, India has NAG for the NAMICA ATGM carrier.
HOT is being replaced in most countries. Germany uses PARS-3, French wants to have the Hellfire-2, Spain went with Spike.

Why is the HOT missile being replaced though it has a good track, any ideas ?
Would love if the Nag would come ASAP.

SPIEZ

Country flag
7 QUICK REACTION UNITS( A Replacement for the earlier 7)

TATRAPAN or AVGP(with modifications) as a replacement for all the outdated wheeled vehicles like BRDM 2, OT 64 SKOT!

TATRAPAN

AVGP

Note: AVGP has dimensions similar to that of Casspir/ Mine Protected Vehicle (OFB)! Plus 6X6 brings the advantage of equal weight distribution and more tyres.

Last edited:

SPIEZ

Country flag
8 PTS tracked Transporter

Why is this missing in India :confused2:

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles