What kind of sourcery is this?

pmaitra

The jar has some flammable vapour, probably some kind of ethane, methane, propane, (with about or less than 10 Carbon atoms per molecule). This makes it light.

At any point, some vapour is escaping or diffusing with the atmosphere, being lighter than air, and some air is going in the jar to replace the vacuum left behind. On ignition, the escaping vapour burns. Now, as it burns, it tranfers a lot of heat in the immediate neighbourhood, both above and below the flame, and it travels downward, thus consuming oxygen. The burnt gases are released, along with some unburnt gas, because there is some scarcity of oxygen, being inside the jar. That escaping unburnt fuels burn on exit from the jar.

Now, the escaping gases keep creating a vacuum, that is replaced by the cooler air rushing in, thus pushing the plasma layer inside the jar down.

This continues till all the flammable gas is burnt.

[please correct me if I said something wrong]

P.S.: Does it have anything to do with Humphrey Davy Lamp principle?

Cliff@sea

C'est la vie
Country flag
I dedicate this thread to phenomenon which baffle the ignorant minds.

Now crack this simple puzzle:

I'll Say IsoPropanol or Diethyl Ether or some similar oraganic

Though My best bet is IsoPropanol ....

Small Quantity in Bottle ....Shaked enough to Change into vapor .... and thus the whole bottle is filled
with Mixture of IsoPropanol and air

When ignited ....the combustion reaction Produces ......
CO2 and Water Vapor both colourless ... (2 C3H7OH+9 O2----> 6 CO2+ 8 H20)
and larger in Volume as compared to Reactants.....(11:14)

Thus the expanding Gas ...
pushes the rest of IsoPropyl Alcohol Vapour Down , which is still Ignited
which makes it look like the Flame is descending down..
....till all of it exhausted ...

Can as well be Ether ...

Last edited:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Could be oxygen because OL group like Alcohol need oxygen for combustion so once the air runs out they wont burn all the way to the bottom.

So this could be simple oxygen.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Could be oxygen because OL group like Alcohol need oxygen for combustion so once the air runs out they wont burn all the way to the bottom.

Simple pure oxygen would explode when in contact combustible materials. Besides note the colour of the flame;)

Cliff@sea

C'est la vie
Country flag

Last i heard Oxygen ...never burnt itself without a fuel

p2prada

I think it is a bottle filled with booze like ethanol(maybe vodka).

amitkriit

What I think is that it is some kind of volatile liquid/gas heavier that air, may be cooking gas, so it settles down at the botton of the jar. As the liquid/gas burns on surface new layers are exposed and the new layers immedietely burn after coming into contact with the hot gases on top, hot enough to sustain the combustion, so we see flame going down to the bottom of the Jar. But it requires continuous supply of Oxygen to keep the flame, I wonder how the Oxygen supply is ensured. So now we can assume that the gas is mixed with Air which ensures the supply, or there is a small hole at the bottom of the jar tosuch fresh air into it as the hot gases try to get out creating low pressure inside the jar.

Cliff@sea

C'est la vie
Country flag
Here's to end the wild goose chase

Last edited by a moderator:

Sabir

DFI TEAM
I have done it several times after finishing a Vodka bottle.....(When I used to drink)

amitkriit

Atmospheric Pressure

Last edited by a moderator:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles