What is Udai Singh, sergeant

rcscwc

Tihar Jail
Banned
... of US army.

First. Iraq is NOT an Indian war. Period. Inspite of pressures by USA, India refused to be dragged into this war.

More than one view can be held about Iraq war. But none, from Indian POV, remotely accepts it "our" war. It is not.

The sergeant was an Indian citizen. He had enlisted in US army because a three year war duty would entitle him to US citizenship. But before that he died in Iraq.

Me might respect his death, but can we treat him as a martyre? No. Let US treat him like that. But surely did not die for an Indian cause.

Had there been a US India conflict, could he refuse to participate? No. Would he be accused of being a mercenary waging war against India? IMO, yes.

It is known that 2% of armed forces have foreign combatants. Udai Singh cannot be the only one among those thousands.

What is the Indian military view?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
There are Tibetans in Indian Armed forces though not acknowledged. We have a thread on it here. That apart, i think only Indians can be part of the Armed forces.

US is known to outsource everything these days including wars. There are groups of private armies present in Iraq and Astan as well i think. Reward of US citizenship is good enough for many to fight a war for it and that is a private issue. Udai Singh is certainly not a martyr for India, he may well be for the US and as a result his family might get accommodated in the US which probably was what Udai Singh wanted after all.

rcscwc

Tihar Jail
Banned
You cannot rule out Tibetans in Indian Army. They can easily be campuflaged as Ladakhis, who are acknowledged. Others might be in Naga Regiment.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
There are lots of Nepalese in the Indian Army too.
Udai Singh was fighting for America so that he could get an American citizenship. I don't think this case is similar to the Tibetan - Nepalese in the Indian Army.

Many immigrants perceive joining the war effort as a ticket to citizenship. I, frankly, condone this and applaud their bravery irrespective.
RIP Shaheed Udai Singh.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles