What is Purchasing Power Parity?

trackwhack

All these overheads are just exaggerated excuses these bloody firms give to fool the worker after they entice him with attractive salary package in his offer letter.

What matters is the take home package which is in the range I mentioned.

And I repeat, the take home salary of a Comm graduate is no where near the 3K figure you mentioned.

Ground reality ? I am on the ground (in NY) fella and I know what I'm talking about.
Refer post number 816. I said 3K per month. I was spot on. Forget benefits, forget overheads forget everything.

Now for the more important part. I am in NY too. Lets catch up. Or are you too shy?

KS

Bye bye DFI
I checked and I was spot on. Salary - 35K + 5K bonus + Benefits. This is for a high school diploma guy. Even if you take only base salary of 35K, it is 3K per month.
The advertised package is in no way reflective of the take home pay.

In all probability his take home pay would be 20K a year with the ridiculously high federal,state and city IT rates.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Refer post number 816. I said 3K per month. I was spot on. Forget benefits, forget overheads forget everything.
LOL..how can you forget when what you get really in hand is no way near the "advertised" pay ?

I am in NY too. Lets catch up. Or are you too shy?
Unless you are gay, I have no problems.

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
I made a point, respond to it, else TOTAL FAIL. Dont be like Mr Mallu Chettan Jay, and troll/call names.
The median salary for a data entry operator in the USA is $27,000 (plus bonus and benefits -but that is not part of take home per se). After taxes (~20%) a data entry operator will take home $1800 a month. So, most of your previous posts are BS anyway ...

Now as for a data entry operator in India getting paid Rs 200 a month - if you are looking at comparable firms (which is not that easy to do, granted), then again it's not true. A data entry operator in India gets paid about Rs 5000 - 6000 a month, which will be added to the nominal GDP in both cases. That's not how PPP is calculated - read up before you shoot your mouth.

You have this tendency of overinflating one side of the story and underreporting another part to make strange claims - which others can easily figure out to be untrue - just goes to show your lack of ethics and general lack of intellect.

Anyway - I meant that you SHOULD retire from DFI too - it was a sarcasm - guess you are too thick to get it whacky!

Salary.com Salary Wizard- Do you know what you're worth?

Reactions: KS

trackwhack

The advertised package is in no way reflective of the take home pay.

In all probability his take home pay would be 20K a year with the ridiculously high federal,state and city IT rates.
Its not an advertisement. Those are industry statistics.

You think we dont pay taxes in India? So if someone earns 35K, he pays 15K as taxes here in the US? 43% taxes?? Trolling much?

And once again I am in NY too. Would you like to meet up or are you one the those Keyboard warriors?

Ace Please Check Level 2, 3, etc. Also we were speaking of Bachelors degree, not high school diploma. My initial estimate is spot on and you know it. Stop bluffing though your arse man.

Anyway there is no point in debating with you about PPPb because you are the great one who made the statement that PPP is an imaginary number made up to keep third world countries happy. How can I debate with a troll like you? Adios.

Last edited:

trackwhack

LOL..how can you forget when what you get really in hand is no way near the "advertised" pay ?

Unless you are gay, I have no problems.
Stop your non-sense man, you accused me of plucking numbers out of thin air, I showed you sources to back up what I said, now your running for cover and trolling.

PM me your number you homophobic and I will call you. Hopefully, you are more pleasant in real life.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Stop your non-sense man, you accused me of plucking numbers out of thin air, I showed you sources to back up what I said, now your running for cover and trolling.

PM me your number and I will call you. Hopefully, you are more pleasant in real life.
Are you for real ?

I have plenty of friends in reputed wall st firms and I know what I am talking about. Again the advertises pay is not the take home pay.

The advertised pay you showed was just a mirage, it only at the end of first month that reality strikes you with all the assorted deductions.

I was offered 4 lakh starting package in India's largest software firm right out of college, but what I got in hand was 3 lakh PA...

So decide for yourself if my PPP is to be calculated based on the 4 lakh in the offer letter or the 3 lakh in my account.

There is no harm/ego loss in losing an argument when you are faced with facts.And here are your facts.

Salary.com Salary Wizard- Do you know what you're worth?

Last edited:

trackwhack

Are you for real ?

I have plenty of friends in reputed wall st firms and I know what I am talking about. Again the advertises pay is not the take home pay.

The advertised pay you showed was just a mirage, it only at the end of first month that reality strikes you with all the assorted deductions.

I was offered 4 lakh starting package in India's largest software firm right out of college, but what I got in hand was 3 lakh PA...

So decide for yourself if my PPP is to be calculated based on the 4 lakh in the offer letter or the 4 lakh in my account.

There is no harm/ego loss in losing an argument when you are faced with facts.
I am not talking offer table account all that crap. I am telling you what a bachelors grad pulls home every month in the US. Stop being in denial. I used the source quoted by Ace. Its supposed to be based on Industry stats. Someone earning 35K per anum will pay 15% tax in this country including state federal medicare, SS and all that.

3K for a Bachelors holder is piss easy in this country. Stop talking nonsense.

I visited the link. Look at the profile. Its for a high school diploma guy. My initial post was for a Bachelors degree holder. Go figure.

Now PM me your number you homophobic and lets meet.

Last edited:

KS

Bye bye DFI
I am not talking offer table account all that crap. I am telling you what a bachelors grad pulls home every month in the US. Stop being in denial. I used the source quoted by Ace. Its supposed to be based on Industry stats. Someone earning 35K per anum will pay 15% tax in this country including state federal medicare, SS and all that.
Is it a bachelor or a high school grad..or if a bachelor in commerce or engineering..?

You seem to vacillate between all these two..?

Old age taking its toll unkil ?

Dont worry my gramps too often used to forget where she kept her spectacles...:D

3K for a Bachelors holder is piss easy in this country. Stop talking nonsense.
No its not.

For a Bachelor in commerce it is not.

I visited the link. Look at the profile. Its for a high school diploma guy. My initial post was for a Bachelors degree holder. Go figure.
LOL you really dont know what you are arguing..Do you..? This is from your post # 816 :

I checked and I was spot on. Salary - 35K + 5K bonus + Benefits. This is for a high school diploma guy. Even if you take only base salary of 35K, it is 3K per month.
:wave:

trackwhack

READ my INITIAL POST - BACHELORS IN COMMERCE is WHAT I MENTIONED.

Now stop trolling and send me your number you homophobic, lets meet.

mylegend

I personally believe PPP is not as important as nominal GDP, a barrel of oil cost the price of a barrel of oil regardless of your PPP. However, it is still a important figure,

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
Its not an advertisement. Those are industry statistics.

You think we dont pay taxes in India? So if someone earns 35K, he pays 15K as taxes here in the US? 43% taxes?? Trolling much?

And once again I am in NY too. Would you like to meet up or are you one the those Keyboard warriors?

Ace Please Check Level 2, 3, etc. Also we were speaking of Bachelors degree, not high school diploma. My initial estimate is spot on and you know it. Stop bluffing though your arse man.

Anyway there is no point in debating with you about PPPb because you are the great one who made the statement that PPP is an imaginary number made up to keep third world countries happy. How can I debate with a troll like you? Adios.
Dude - I have hired people, I have been hired and I have dealt with high school graduates, bachelors etc.
The median salary + benefits for college graduates in the USA is $50,000 - after taxes (~30%) and other deductions insurance etc - you take home $30000 - which means $2500 per month. A college graduate however will not work as a data entry operator in the USA - not after completing college. So, check your story - data entry operator or college graduate?

As for PPP - check the wikipedia article I mentioned or check this link ...

http://people.stern.nyu.edu/jsimonof/classes/2301/pdf/ppp.pdf

check out the analysis from page 12-15. Also check out the definition of PPP - and the conclusion - you will realize that PPP is pretty meaningless for the following reasons -

1. When you are dealing with international markets (as is India's case in the defense industry)
2. When inflation rates are higher than changes in exchange rates
3. When the economic growth is lower or even comparable to the inflation rate
4. When the economy is undergoing major problems
5. Political upheavals
6. Lack of industrialization

Given all these caveats - can you tell me WHY we Indians should be counting on the PPP values, especially with regards to Technology acquisition OR standard of living increase?
As I mentioned before - PPP is a made up number that works for industrialized countries with inflation rate and exchange rate comparable to the dominant currency (US dollar) in the world, the rest is just BS.

Here is some more of the same ...

http://helotry.org/node/28

Last edited:

trackwhack

Let me make it real simple for you Troll boy,

A non-tech college grad here will make an out of college package of 3K as opposed to 200 maybe 300 bucks back home. I mean lets stretch it and make it 500 a month against 2500 a month. This is why the Primary sector contribution are weighed higher in PPP calculations as commodity prices and thereby manufactured goods are more evenly priced across the globe.

But believe what you want Professor.

p.s. Why do you always assume that you onto some role that others cant comprehend dude? You're just another fish in the water. Half the guys here have hired, fired and done all the crap you mentioned. Stop with you professional elitism. You are just a spoke in the wheel like everyone else. Easily replaced and as common as the local whore.

I remember you, "I've traveled the world, I'm in New England, what the hell do you know' jibe when we first started this discussion a few months back. You shot yourself in the foot pretty much. Did you not learn yet?

Now regarding the PPP part. GDP is a measure of cumulative productivity. The reason PPP is significant is because different nations have dirrefent measures of rewarding the same task done or product made. However the task accomplished or the product created is identical and there is no difference in the intrinsic value of the task or product. I mean you know this, but you want to twist in some vague way. You can beleive what you want.

I will quote the example I gave last time once again.

In India, an iPill costs $2. Here a Plan B pill costs $40. Both accomplish the same task. Go figure.

Last edited:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
I am not sure you understand the concepts of PPP and purchasing power - do you? read up ...

Purchasing power parity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

especially this part ...

Range and quality of goods
The goods that the currency has the "power" to purchase are a basket of goods of different types:
Local, non-tradable goods and services (like electric power) that are produced and sold domestically.
Tradable goods such as non-perishable commodities that can be sold on the international market (like diamonds).
The more that a product falls into category 1, the more that its price will be from the currency exchange rate, moving towards the PPP exchange rate. Conversely, category 2 products tend to trade close to the currency exchange rate. (See also Penn effect).
More processed and expensive products are likely to be tradable, falling into the second category, and drifting from the PPP exchange rate to the currency exchange rate. Even if the PPP "value" of the Ethiopian currency is three times stronger than the currency exchange rate, it won't buy three times as much of internationally traded goods like steel, cars and microchips, but non-traded goods like housing, services ("haircuts"), and domestically produced crops. The relative price differential between tradables and non-tradables from high-income to low-income countries is a consequence of the Balassa-Samuelson effect and gives a big cost advantage to labour intensive production of tradable goods in low income countries (like Ethiopia), as against high income countries (like Switzerland).
The corporate cost advantage is nothing more sophisticated than access to cheaper workers, but because the pay of those workers goes farther in low-income countries than high, the relative pay differentials (inter-country) can be sustained for longer than would be the case otherwise. (This is another way of saying that the wage rate is based on average local productivity and that this is below the per capita productivity that factories selling tradable goods to international markets can achieve.) An equivalent cost benefit comes from non-traded goods that can be sourced locally (nearer the PPP-exchange rate than the nominal exchange rate in which receipts are paid). These act as a cheaper factor of production than is available to factories in richer countries.
The Bhagwati-Kravis-Lipsey view provides a somewhat different explanation from the Balassa-Samuelson theory. This view states that price levels for nontradables are lower in poorer countries because of differences in endowment of labor and capital, not because of lower levels of productivity. Poor countries have more labor relative to capital, so marginal productivity of labor is greater in rich countries than in poor countries. Nontradables tend to be labor-intensive; therefore, because labor is less expensive in poor countries and is used mostly for nontradables, nontradables are cheaper in poor countries. Wages are high in rich countries, so nontradables are relatively more expensive.[3]
PPP calculations tend to overemphasise the primary sectoral contribution, and underemphasise the industrial and service sectoral contributions to the economy of a nation.

What exactly are you trying to get, my point is that $3500 PPP percapita growing at 8-9% will be close to $20000 by 2020, or Nominal gdp percapita $1450 growing at 13-15% is also likely to be close to $20000 by 2020.... Its pure maths..... What do you have against these figure... post with relevant facts and not economics class.....

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
I personally believe PPP is not as important as nominal GDP, a barrel of oil cost the price of a barrel of oil regardless of your PPP. However, it is still a important figure,

No dude PPP is more relevant in economics... because If by pure nominal means, Pakistan is doing one hell of a job in growth which is 18% per annum:sad::sad:(of course its nominal) but in reality they are facing a big pain in the butt dont they...???:thumb::thumb:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
And please dudes stick to the topic.... Ok people one question , in US you get $6K(3L rupees) per month and here you get rupees 2L per month, or $4K.... So who is going to save more and who is richer... i want an answer with reason..... I personally believe earning 1L rupees or more is more or less equal to earning 6K$ in US...... so please answer....

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
Let me make it real simple for you Troll boy,

A non-tech college grad here will make an out of college package of 3K as opposed to 200 maybe 300 bucks back home. I mean lets stretch it and make it 500 a month against 2500 a month. This is why the Primary sector contribution are weighed higher in PPP calculations as commodity prices and thereby manufactured goods are more evenly priced across the globe.

But believe what you want Professor.

p.s. Why do you always assume that you onto some role that others cant comprehend dude? You're just another fish in the water. Half the guys here have hired, fired and done all the crap you mentioned. Stop with you professional elitism. You are just a spoke in the wheel like everyone else. Easily replaced and as common as the local whore.

I remember you, "I've traveled the world, I'm in New England, what the hell do you know' jibe when we first started this discussion a few months back. You shot yourself in the foot pretty much. Did you not learn yet?

Now regarding the PPP part. GDP is a measure of cumulative productivity. The reason PPP is significant is because different nations have dirrefent measures of rewarding the same task done or product made. However the task accomplished or the product created is identical and there is no difference in the intrinsic value of the task or product. I mean you know this, but you want to twist in some vague way. You can beleive what you want.

I will quote the example I gave last time once again.

In India, an iPill costs $2. Here a Plan B pill costs $40. Both accomplish the same task. Go figure.
Your a$$holicity notwithstanding, you are an idiot and you have proved it more often than not. I doubt you have done ANY of the things I have mentioned - as for being easily replaced and as common as the local whore - is that how you think of YOURSELF? I don't, because I am not - I know my value and it is better than the local whores - even in New England - your selfworth is definitely worse than the local whores - I can see that. Go bare your ass to your paymasters in wall street and they will give you a tiny share of their wisdom after they are done -----ing you like every other month ....

Your iPill vs Plan B pill pricing example shows that you understand NOTHING about the business world, far less economics. Most items are generally market priced. Understand what that is - what the "market" (consumers) are WILLING to pay and able to pay. It has nothing to do with costing - again you don't need a business degree to understand that, but having one helps - since you don't have one, you can suck on it.

as far as your statement "The reason PPP is significant is because different nations have dirrefent measures of rewarding the same task done or product made." is concerned - that is exactly correct, because that is the textbook definition of PPP. However, what I have showed you in that article (if you had the intellect to read it and understand it) is that PPP is meaningless for most developing countries because critical parts of their economy is dependent upon foreign imports, especially in terms of technology. Also, high inflation and lower compensation may keep the "price" of a good down, but that does not increase the buying power of a person or a nation "internationally".
So, everytime I hear people in India crowing about how PPP is so important in defense terms, when India still imports MOST of it's defense items I wonder WTF is wrong.
The "intrinsic value" of a product is a small part of it's "perceived" value. Do you know that? So, the "perceived" value of a teacher in India can be 1 Lakh a year while that of an Engineer is 3 lakhs a year. That's a 3 times difference. In the USA the "perceived" values are $50K a year and $80K a year. That's slightly above 1.5 times difference. Can you tell me what the "intrinsic value" is for either? How would you measure THAT? How would you determine what the PPP is vis a vis the salary differences?

Again as I said before - Indians crow a lot about how the economy is booming and the per capita income is rising - and how that makes India's defense procurement such a easy game - and then quote PPP values. Where defense deals (or any international deals) are concerned, PPP is meaningless. If you cannot contain inflation then again PPP values are useless. at 7-9% inflation - what the ----- do you care how fast the economy grows?

trackwhack

^^ Defence deals are not a measure of economic parity genius. Stay blissfully ignorant. :cool: O great Economics guru.

And I did not call you a local whore, only said you're just as common as one pretending to be an 5 star call girl.

Last edited:

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
And please dudes stick to the topic.... Ok people one question , in US you get $6K(3L rupees) per month and here you get rupees 2L per month, or $4K.... So who is going to save more and who is richer... i want an answer with reason..... I personally believe earning 1L rupees or more is more or less equal to earning 6K$ in US...... so please answer....
To answer your question we have to look further than just who is "richer" - define "richer".
In the USA, people save very little outside their retirement savings. The culture is different - here consumerism is rampant and spending your excess money is the norm. In India saving is more common.
But back on topic, the better term is "disposable income". After paying for the expenses for the necessities who will have more "disposable income".
Also you have to look at which city you are living in - let's compare Bangalore and Boston resident. also, I guess your numbers are not for "take home salary" but you have to pay taxes - right?
If you work in Bangalore and get paid 2L a month, then 25% goes in taxes (50K gone). Then say ~50K goes in rent (correct me if I am wrong in my assessments - I have not lived in Bangalore in 15 years)? If you own a car, then maintenance, insurance and gas will be ~25K a month? Food (home and eating out) will be 10K a month? Utilities - Entertainment (cable TV), electricity, internet, telephone, cellphone etc put together is another 10K a month? You will keep a maid, a driver maybe? Together another 15K a month? Clothes, shopping miscellaneous expenses etc 10K a month? So, all put together you are looking at 1.2L a month - so a net "disposable income" of 30K a month - equivalent to $600.
Now look at a Boston resident with $6K as salary.
28% goes in taxes - leaving $4320 net salary. Add Health insurance at $220 a month. Rent is say $1400 a month. Own a car - $500 a month. with gas and insurance etc. Food and eating out is $500 a month. Utilities would be $300 a month. Miscellaneous is say another $500 a month. Total of $3420 - leaving $900 as disposable income.

Did that answer your question?

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
^^ Defence deals are not a measure of economic parity genius. Stay blissfully ignorant. :cool: O great Economics guru.

And I did not call you a local whore, only said you're just as common as one pretending to be an 5 star call girl.
A troll? me?

that's like a pot calling a Kettle black.

Most of my rants have been against PPP being used for defense deals - read up and you will know. So STFU and go jerk off elsewhere.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles