What is MJ Akbar talking about in Arab newspaper ?

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by satyam, Jun 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. satyam

satyam New Member

http://arabnews.com/opinion/columns/article62028.ece

Any map of the results will show that the core reason for Mamata Banerjee’s success lies in the shift of the Muslim vote from the left toward her persona.

It is interesting that Muslim enthusiasm for Mamata has not transferred to the Congress. The left has made gains where it contested the Congress, and its overall vote has increased by four percent compared to last year’s general elections. The Congress was routed in Pranab Mukherjee’s constituency, which has a Muslim majority.

The red of Bengal has already been diluted by time. The tint of the future will be determined in 2011, and the easel is with the Muslim voter. Both sides know that.

We are used to dividing Bengal along Hindu-majority West and a Muslim-majority East, with the border as the only definition. But there is a new West and East in our Bengal. Official statistics say that the Muslim population of West Bengal is 28 percent; it might rise to 30 percent after the current census. But this demographic is not evenly distributed. Muslims are concentrated in the eastern districts of West Bengal, parallel to Bangladesh, forming about 40 percent of the voting population in the thickly populated regions south, east and north of Calcutta.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    And these guys need reservation ?

3. ahmedsid

ahmedsid Top Gun Senior Member

He is just explaining the Muslim Voter shift in Bengal, though its a bit confusing at first if you dont read in.

And what does Reservation need to do with what he is saying? Reservations are based on the fact that Muslim community along with others are less developed than other communities. If Reservation was based on Population, then the Dalits and the SC/STs dont need reservation, because they are in large numbers!!!

I am against Reservations based on Religion. I want Reservation to be based on the Financial Base of a Family/Individual. Its hard to do, but If done properly, its the best form! God Speed

4. satyam

satyam New Member

They are less developed because they are less educated. I don't see people in Bangladesh and Pakistan winning gold medals in different olympiads. The biggest reservation they have got is that they have got 2 country for themselves.

mehwish92 and Oracle like this.
  5. ahmedsid

ahmedsid Top Gun Senior Member

Muslims in INDIA have only Country, that is INDIA. The 2 Countries you mentioned were made for the people and their leaders there, Not for the Muslims In India.

And What does your Article posted have to do with Reservation? We already have enough threads on the topic of reservations and the Bengal Elections, and This one doesnt even touch on the subject matter you are harping about properly. I am Closing this thread as there is no worthwhile link between what you quoted and the reservation matter you brought in. To open this thread, PM me the reason as to why I should do so, and In the Future, dont make up such irrelevant assumptions to engage in baiting other to flame. God Speed

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
    mehwish92 likes this.
  6. Oracle

Oracle New Member

I actually do not understand the point of opening threads with the sole aim of insulting other religions and communities. I wanted to give a bad rating, and by mistake I gave a good rating.

If you want to talk about reservations, open a new thread and let posters air their views. Do not let the religion angle misguide you, or is it your age that you cannot comprehend things?

And what is with that comment 'And these guys need reservation ?'. Tragic! Pathetic! I am not pro reservations, but does that statement deserve any merit? Punchline eh? BS.

Muslims in India are just as patriotic and Indian as are Hindus, Sikhs etc and as you are, if you are. Mate you just contradicted the meaning of the word Satyam, while all you did here was troll and insult. Why the hell do Indian Muslims need to prove all and everytime they are patriotic Indians? Damn.

mehwish92 and ahmedsid like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.