What If Multi-cal Rifle Tender Fails?

What If Multi-Cal Rifle Tender Fails ?

• Total voters

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
If indeed what you say is true, that army dropped the requirement itself and there by not supporting the development itself. Then there is serious need for rethinking on how future "operational requirements" are issued and handled by IA.

I would rather hope, DRDO won't stop the R&D on multi barrel, even if they are delivering only single barrel for operational purposes. Who knows IA would ask for multi barrel again couple of years down the line.
It's rather sad really, ARDE-DRDO chased a requirement to only have it dropped. IA have done this to several programs.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
Might not be a coincidence that DRDO renamed, "MCIWS", to just AAR. We'll see what ARDE will do. Whatever the case, AAR 5.56 will be entering trials, I am guessing user trials.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
It's rather sad really, ARDE-DRDO chased a requirement to only have it dropped. IA have done this to several programs.
If I may...

At least IA and DRDO have common redressal mechanism I.e Raksha mantri.

I now feel sorry for private players, they must be having hell managing these changes in IA requirements. Those stories will not even come out, to keep the customer happy.

Pvt. players will also take their sweet revenge when ever they can, they'll just say "good idea sir, these changes will just cost you a little extra". I know this because I do this everyday(not defence sector of-course).

Frankly after our conversation, the news defence procurement rules 2016 makes more sense now. Thanks ...

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
If I may...

At least IA and DRDO have common redressal mechanism I.e Raksha mantri.

I now feel sorry for private players, they must be having hell managing these changes in IA requirements. Those stories will not even come out, to keep the customer happy.

Pvt. players will also take their sweet revenge when ever they can, they'll just say "good idea sir, these changes will just cost you a little extra". I know this because I do this everyday(not defence sector of-course).

Frankly after our conversation, the news defence procurement rules 2016 makes more sense now. Thanks ...

Yeah, especially for MSMEs who may have good concepts. Thankfully, gov is now willing to fund up to 80% of the costs of new programs.

aditya g

Country flag
Hi,

Why cannot IMI Tavor be the standard AR for the Indian Army?

kr9

Country flag
Hi,

Because it costs 2000$ and we cannot equip our soldiers with 1.38 lakh Rupee rifles.
But it has performance to match, that is agreed.

One low cost option would be to manufacture it in India; but the quality standards may vary. Besides, I think the IWI is raking in quite a revenue because of the Tavor and is not likely to let its production go to any other country soon.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Indian Army requirement restrict bullpup designs for many factors, One is that bullpup design are not efficient during snap shooting that follows is about shooting quickly after you have positively identified your target compare to traditional design, The reason one do not see any bullpup in trails held for foreign rifles ..

TAR-21 is a bullpup design, It was chosen for paratroopers as it is short and easier to carry along with other essentials, Regulars do not have such limitations ..

Hi,
Because it costs 2000$ and we cannot equip our soldiers with 1.38 lakh Rupee rifles..

kr9

Country flag
Indian Army requirement restrict bullpup designs for many factors, One is that bullpup design are not efficient during snap shooting that follows is about shooting quickly after you have positively identified your target compare to traditional design, The reason one do not see any bullpup in trails held for foreign rifles ..

TAR-21 is a bullpup design, It was chosen for paratroopers as it is short and easier to carry along with other essentials, Regulars do not have such limitations ..
@Kunal Biswas , @Shaitan , @sayareakd

Sir, if the IA is indeed looking for a foreign MCWS:--

There were reports that the AK-12 would be a modular rifle with calibre interchangeability (including 6.8mm, an LMG configuration and in the 7.62x51mm NATO with longer barrels for marksmen).

If Russia agrees to let us make it and supply it to our troops, (it is a big 'IF'), in your opinion, would you consider the AK-12 as being viable for the Indian Army. Or more importantly, shouldn't the army have considered it along with the other rifles in the original tender (being an AK, it would have passed the tests that the other rifles failed)??

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
In the context of 'IF', Army brass loves Israeli Galil which failed, Galil is much better than anything Russian have to put before, Interestingly its much like our 1B1 and both are inspired by AK ..

AK12 faced lots of criticism within Russian media and Army, Its not ready back in 2011 nor today and still not yet inducted to replace Russian AK74 in mass, The reason it did not took part in trails ..

@Kunal Biswas , @Shaitan , @sayareakd

Sir, if the IA is indeed looking for a foreign MCWS:--

There were reports that the AK-12 would be a modular rifle with calibre interchangeability (including 6.8mm, an LMG configuration and in the 7.62x51mm NATO with longer barrels for marksmen).

If Russia agrees to let us make it and supply it to our troops, (it is a big 'IF'), in your opinion, would you consider the AK-12 as being viable for the Indian Army. Or more importantly, shouldn't the army have considered it along with the other rifles in the original tender (being an AK, it would have passed the tests that the other rifles failed)??

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles