What equipment will Sri Lanka need to maintain her neutrality in a global conflict?

Galaxy

Country flag
On topic,

How come Chinese Navy or Pak Navy will come for rescue if we attack SL ??

We can block Chinese Navy @ Malacca strait and PN @ Arabian sea (Gujarat). It will only take max. an hour for IAF or/and INAF for surgical attack on SL. SL won't survive for more than an hour in any case.

I failed to understand why SL is taking the path of destruction ?? SL population is mixture of Indian religion and we never taught such things. :rolleyes:

HeinzGud

Country flag
List of current Sri Lanka Navy ships - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
No Frigates, No Destroyers, No Corvettes, No Submarines, No Amphibious ships. Nothing.

But I don't think that is possible also.

SL GDP is around 40 Bn $, Our Defence budget is around 40 Bn $ for a year. 8)
Yeah thats why I said when we can!

What about missile defense?

1 week is too long imo.......your only chance is bringing the international community into the picture(read China) but that would mean rendering the whole concept of "National Integrity" moot. Your best bet is maintaining cordial relations with India.
Yeah strategically your right thats why we need to some form of defense in a global conflict to protect our country from foreign interventions most possibly from India because she's our closest nation with substantial number of armed capacity

Forget about Su30, S-300, Russia won't sell that to you as we already operating and better version since decade.

Russia won't risk business worth 50 bn $ for 1 bn $. They are not fools.

BTW, How you will stop Brahmos, Prahar Missile. Once launched from Tamil nadu, It can destroy whole SL. :rolleyes:

Defence equipment/system are very expensive. I repeat again, Peace with India is best security for you.
The title of the thread and OP dont make sense. How will the weapons listed "buy" neutrality?
It looks more like an India specific threat scenario more than anything else.

The old saying in Hindi which when translated to English is don't mess with crocadiles if you want to live in the water. The only thing that can save Lanka is not play China against India on its soil as it is doing right now. Good ties with India will make sure SL will be safe. By getting China in, SL has made sure it will be hurt if there is any "turf war" between India and china. It's never too late to change policies.
Yeah your right bring in China isthe most stupit thing we can do! Assume that we maintained neautrality and China tries to force us to give them our harbours! We should protect our self from that

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Yeah strategically your right thats why we need to some form of defense in a global conflict to protect our country from foreign interventions most possibly from India because she's our closest nation with substantial number of armed capacity
In a conflict with Pakistan or China, Sri lanka is of no significance to us, our wars would be fought elsewhere.
But to harm India Sri Lanka is of importance to both China and Pakistan, if you can keep Pak-Chin out of your shores, you'll remain neutral.

HeinzGud

Country flag
On topic,

How come Chinese Navy or Pak Navy will come for rescue if we attack SL ??

We can block Chinese Navy @ Malacca strait and PN @ Arabian sea (Gujarat). It will only take max. an hour for IAF or/and INAF for surgical attack on SL. SL won't survive for more than an hour in any case.

I failed to understand why SL is taking the path of destruction ?? SL population is mixture of Indian religion and we never taught such things. :rolleyes:
Problem here is not India itself but China and Pakistan. We have a special bond between them. But in global warfare if we took India's side. China and Pakistan will surely try to establish bases in our country so the threat them come from sea as allways! So we need some kind of a defense system rather than asking help from India.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Yeah your right bring in China isthe most stupit thing we can do! Assume that we maintained neautrality and China tries to force us to give them our harbours! We should protect our self from that
They cannot force you if you don't want to. To tell the truth, China needs SL more than SL needing China. You don't have to give harbors. You don't have to be part of any "pearl in the string". If at all, SL will be protected at all costs by India for its own interest of not having a Chinese outpost in SL.

HeinzGud

Country flag
They cannot force you if you don't want to. To tell the truth, China needs SL more than SL needing China. You don't have to give harbors. You don't have to be part of any "pearl in the string". If at all, SL will be protected at all costs by India for its own interest of not having a Chinese outpost in SL.
What about the Chinese carries operating in the Indian ocean could Indian Navy can deal with them alone with only 2 Nuke powered carries?

Galaxy

Country flag
Problem here is not India itself but China and Pakistan. We have a special bond between them. But in global warfare if we took India's side. China and Pakistan will surely try to establish bases in our country so the threat them come from sea as allways! So we need some kind of a defense system rather than asking help from India.
First of all, I am not saying to take India's side.

Why they will create base if you take India's side ?? How they will take ?? India can always help you in case of conflict. I don't understand your POV, how they establish base forcefully. :rolleyes:

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
What about the Chinese carries operating in the Indian ocean could Indian Navy can deal with them alone with only 2 Nuke powered carries?
In Indian ocean and so close to the Indian shore they would be dead meat.
(Neither India nor China has nuclear carriers)

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Chinese carriers will not reach Indian ocean. They have business to do in the pacific and south china sea in particular.

In this while thing you forget which is the most powerful navy in te Indian ocean, the US!

HeinzGud

Country flag
Well they can ask for it as a friendly request I don't think any government would allow that! But if china uses her carries and marines to occupy as a example Hambanthota Could India deter the Chinese carrier force?

HeinzGud

Country flag
Chinese carriers will not reach Indian ocean. They have business to do in the pacific and south china sea in particular.

In this while thing you forget which is the most powerful navy in te Indian ocean, the US!
No No this is not about now. Assume that this would happen within next 10-15 yrs

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Well they can ask for it as a friendly request I don't think any government would allow that! But if china uses her carries and marines to occupy as a example Hambanthota Could India deter the Chinese carrier force?
Yes. But do you realize the amount of condemnation they'd get for invading a neutral nation!!!. moreover a pretext for the US to intervene to uphold the freedom and democracy in Sri Lanka!!!.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
No No this is not about now. Assume that this would happen within next 10-15 yrs
Same answer. After 15 years USN will be the most powerful navy in IOR followed by India. China cannot do jack. That is why thy need countries like SL.

Param

Whether SL asks for help or not India will have to intervene to protect Indian interests.
Any ship coming within 300km of Indian shores can be sunk by land launched Brahmos. The farthest point in SL is less than 300 Kms from India.

I need not mention what the Airforce and navy can do.

Last edited:

HeinzGud

Country flag
In Indian ocean and so close to the Indian shore they would be dead meat.
(Neither India nor China has nuclear carriers)
If they have carriers and imagine India is confronting both China and Pakistan both possible Russia is siding India! Could Indian navy relocate her carriers to south Indian Ocean?

P.S assume EU and US is no longer a global power

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
You are grossly overestimating the Chinese navy even if you take a 20 year timeline.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
If they have carriers and imagine India is confronting both China and Pakistan both possible Russia is siding India! Could Indian navy relocate her carriers to south Indian Ocean?
Why not. Moreover, why only a Carrier vs Carrier scenario? South SL would be ideal range for our jets and missiles.

plugwater

Who has two nuclear powered carriers ?

If you are talking about future like after 2020 means i would say Chinese can kiss their idea of invading India through sea good bye.

Even now Chinese would be crazy to execute such a suicide plan.

HeinzGud

Country flag
Whether SL asks for help or not India will have to intervene to protect Indian interests.
Any ship coming within 300km of Indian shores can be sunk by land launched Brahmos. The farthest point in SL is less than 300 Kms from India.

I need not mention what the Airforce and navy can do.
What if china fitted S300 SAM system to her AAW ships?? Can Brahmos prevail??

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles