how common is it still in india and what do you think of it

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
No regrets.

Still surviving!

fyodor

Country flag
Arranged marriage is the foundation of feudalism. Long ago when land became valued property(it still is!) the father wanted to preserve his property and transfer to his descendants, in this way his name and property can be carried further. Arranged marriages helped because it was a kind of give and take..........the bride family gave some land(or money) and in return they forged alliance with the groom's family.

Also arranged marriages require the bride and the groom to be considered a property. They are traded for the optimal benefits.

In love marriage opposite is the case. Two people marry on the basis of a transitory feeling. In modern world people can afford to be individualistic, independent of the family protection so love marriages are growing.

But love marriages can be unstable because when the love goes there is nothing to keep the marriage intact. In arranged marriage, there is no love,no affection, its just a business deal so it lasts quite a bit longer at the expense of an affection-less life.

Most of Indians chose affection-less life over feelings or love because we are still mostly economically backward society. We need security more then love.

fyodor

Country flag
As for a cynic like me, i consider both arranged and love marriage to be BS. I don't even believe in marriages. Its a la-la concept created to fool people. Long ago people lived happily without marriages and they still do in many tribal societies.

Love, shove or 'parivaar ka moh' ( the attachment to family life) just completely goes above my head.

Voldemort

Country flag
It is still prevalent but honestly, it sucks. Wonder how can someone marry a stranger...

Voldemort

Country flag
why? What happened? Is it crime to ask a virgin girl?
Just a suggestion- If/when you give an ad in the paper, mention the point that the girl should be virgin. Also, before marrying, get a forensic test done to ascertain whether the girl is really what you want her to be. What if she lies? Good luck. Im not discussing this anymore.

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag
Just a suggestion- If/when you give an ad in the paper, mention the point that the girl should be virgin. Also, before marrying, get a forensic test done to ascertain whether the girl is really what you want her to be. What if she lies? Good luck. Im not discussing this anymore.
I said I just want and not need
well, I will ask her ,then confirm it via her fb and whatsapp friends, though all lied
phir sab bhagwan pe chhoddo
by the way always try for a religious girl, there is max possibility of them being virgin
and don't be afraid , its just a friendly conversation/debate

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Just so we're clear, arranged marriage has no correlation with Hinduism. Hinduism does not prescribe a method of courtship. Those were developed by generations of people, in reaction to their social and economic conditions.

The Hindu mythology doesn't strongly portray arranged marriage system, either. It depicted some of the wealthier sections of society to use the Swayamvara system, where the maiden has the freedom to choose her husband from a set of eligible bachelors. In most depictions of common sections of society, consent courtship ("love marriage") was depicted.

Arranged marriage, among other things like restrictive/regressive clothing/lifestyles for women, crept in as a possible reaction to invasions of foreign dominant societies, to protect native bloodlines, and so on. It stayed on as a dogma, eventually becoming a means for families to keep their children from marrying outside their unit of identity.

Now that after 900-odd years, Hindus are part of a free society, the increase in number of consentual courtship (love marriages) shouldn't be viewed as "westernization" or even libertarian. It's just...normal.

Last edited:

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Now that after 900-odd years, Hindus are part of a free society, the increase in number of consentual courtship (love marriages) shouldn't be viewed as "westernization" or even libertarian. It's just...normal.
Very well said. This should be firmly drummed into the skulls of culture-vultures who claim that "love marriages are against ancient Hindoo culture". It is just ego and allegiance to caste and race which causes heartburn in persons against so-called "love marriages".

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles