What do you like about Western culture?

Discussion in 'Members Corner' started by PredictablyMalicious, Feb 22, 2015.

1. PredictablyMalicious

PredictablyMalicious Punjabi Senior Member

I know that most members here probably live in India. I could ask what do you like about Indian culture but I think I already have a good idea of what kind of responses I would get. So I think a more interesting question is, what do you Indians like about western culture the most? By western culture, let's say we're talking about the culture in places like Western Europe and the English speaking countries of the New World.

3. SREEKAR

SREEKAR Senior Member Senior Member

Way they keep their country clean,they are not self centric.Thats it.If every indian follows these ,sure we can develop our country.

Kay likes this.
  4. Ashok mourya

Ashok mourya Regular Member

What can we adopt from western culture?
    Society and community value system-
    Deep-rooted family values are part of the Indian culture. Parents perform their duties to raise their kids, kids once grown up take care of the elders in the family and marriage is the most sacred union in Indian culture, and so on. But when it comes to society or community, we show an altogether different attitude. For any terrible situation, we think it is not our responsibility but that of someone else. However, the same responsibility towards community is well understood in the West. Western people show their concern for society and make sacrifices, if required.
    Habit of Cleanliness
    Most of us have the habit of throwing garbage here and there instead of putting it in its proper place. But, if you have been to any western country, then you might have observed a big difference in cleanliness. They keep their surroundings absolutely clean and do not throw even a single bit of paper on the road, in parks or at public places. Everything is well maintained.
    In some western countries, different types of garbage like plastic, kitchen waste, etc are required to be put in separate garbage bags. These are then kept outside the home to be collected by respective garbage collectors. But in India, throwing garbage in empty plots is a common scene. So, we must learn a sense of cleanliness from them.
    Traffic Rules
    How many of you have seen someone or the other breaking traffic rules in India? I have seen this many a times. But westerners follow all the traffic rules very strictly, even if there is no traffic policeman around.
    Transportation
    Transportation system in western countries is much better than in India. A friend of mine once went to England. She was travelling by bus. The bus stopped at its scheduled stop and there was a handicapped person waiting for the bus. This bus had that space occupied, so the driver of the bus deboarded. He contacted another bus driver driving the bus on the same route and confirmed the space for handicapped person and his wheelchair. The driver then waited for that bus. He left the place only after boarding the handicapped passenger in the right bus. Bus drivers can communicate with passengers whenever required and they speak very politely. Such types of incidents are absolutely hard to find in India.
    Accountability
    Sense of accountability is great in western culture and we must learn this attribute from them. We must be answerable to what we do. However, in India, generally important people are less answerable than commoners.
    Professionalism
    Be professional like people in the West who do not allow their personal feelings, problems and dealings to interfere in their professional lives. Along with this we must be punctual and respect the other person’s time.
    Therefore, going ahead by preserving our values and culture is not wrong. Also, we should change with time for good as everything in this world is changing. We must adopt good values of western culture to our value system for betterment, growth and development.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
    Illusive, Blu and jouni like this.
  5. bhoopendra.singh090

bhoopendra.singh090 New Member

Yaa...its true..

6. Dovah

Dovah Untermensch Senior Member

OP, are you talking about the contemporary western culture or the one 100-300 years (the colonial one)?

7. Srinivas_K

Srinivas_K Senior Member Senior Member

Western Corporate ethics !

8. ezsasa

ezsasa Senior Member Senior Member

i like their willingness to change and adapt to the realities that keep changing.

9. Scorpio69

Scorpio69 Regular Member

I like how they bring 'democracy' and control the media.:hail::usa:

10. prohumanity

prohumanity Regular Member

I like many things about Western culture...(1) people do not poke their nose in other peoples business (2) open minded and tolerant society (3) mostly law abiding common people (except some corporate crooks and criminals) (4) People do not get jealous about others' success.
    (5) Women have equal rights and freedom (6) knowledge is valued and respected. (7) cleanliness ,of course.

Kay likes this.
  11. Khagesh

Khagesh Regular Member

Like the way their system makes one believe in the goodness of everything even when they themselves are the ones who will go around ruining everything good. Unlimited capacity to create Jhunjhunas.

12. Ankit Purohit

Ankit Purohit Senior Member Senior Member

Only one thing ,they respect work not designation.

Kay likes this.
  13. salute

salute Senior Member Senior Member

wow thats nice,

btw,got that on video @jouni neighborhood
    http://youtu.be/zmrLvS3kwcg

rich ba***ds rides in cars,
    thats why oh wait...
    Bad Driving UK Compilation #67
    http://youtu.be/heJxdW9GQKc
    compilation - 67 nice,
    wonder how many more of these are their???

Car Crash Compilation Bad Driving 1
    http://youtu.be/jDdPJY1jDiY

Car Crashes, Some Extremely Bad Driving and Road Rage
    http://youtu.be/07WYGb-cBLI

garbage guy comes to your house every day???:thumb:

do you even know what they say about their presidents or prime minister and their other politicians???

so no westerners have ever heard of ptsd or anxiety or other mental issues???

do you know what BS you talking about???

'Ashok mourya' ?????????? how about ' paki in disguise ',

was someone missing @atheisthindu stupid posts.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  14. jouni

jouni Senior Member Senior Member

I like how in Western culture people have cool stetsons and gunbelts with two Colts, winchester hanging in the sadel. Sheriff keeps the law and order, women are beautiful with corsets and petticoats. I do not like how they portrait Indians as bad guys, they had a rich culture in harmony with the nature.

Srinivas_K likes this.
  15. Kay

Kay Regular Member

I think they are very independent minded.
    Other than that, they are not very different.

16. Illusive

Illusive Senior Member Senior Member

How they approach their work is commendable. Like someone said respect work not designation. Also civic sense that many Indians lack. The sheer number of inventions from west although it will change in the future to east.

17. salute

salute Senior Member Senior Member

it will change.