What do Indians think about Indians living abroad?

What do you think about Indians living in abroad?

• Total voters

ghost

Yo Kiddo......what makes you think Indian Culture is so great. There are so many aspects of Indian culture that are just utter garbage....to put it politely.
So before you talk about culture......go travel the world and compare your great Indian culture with others...then talk.

Do you ever wonder why nothing changes in India.....it doesnt matter how many different parties they are, or how many times you change governments, or how many elections you have - the corruption is still the same. That's a function of culture. Corruption is ingrained in Indian culture....another wonderful aspect of Indian culture.

Sir, I would like to highlight one aspect which makes Indian culture "great"

Its not about Indians living in foreign, its about many indians who live here and try to speak English with accent, even with auto drivers!
They are just throwing their culture away because they think speaking English is 'cool'.
I dont understand how they come to such bizarre conclusion.
I have many relatives living abroad too but I think they are more "Indians" than some of the people living here in India .

Always value your culture and others culture too, but dont throw your own culture for the sake of being "cool" .
I rest my case.:wave::namaste::thumb:

Illusive

Country flag
I see them as Indians, some of my relatives have American passports, but they are Indians to the core, they make sure they come to India regularly so the kids know their heritage, from knowing our mother tongue to our National anthem.

Illusive

Country flag
India offers a myriad set of opportunities in every field. Looking down at the history of UK in the 11th century, I found India to be far better than UK. Nation building is a slow process sometime even taking centuries. But fortunately, these times are a bit too much fast as we see rapid technological change everywhere especially in India. Indians staying abroad would realize that it is indeed a good time to return home. The skills they would bring from abroad would act as a catalyst in India's Development. Let's hope for the best.
You are right, building a country needs time, you can't blame those who left the country for better opportunities. Everybody has a role to play in development of its country and the Indians abroad lobby hard for investments in India, sure there are some who don't care about our motherland, but we have many people like that in our country intself. We need to look at people who inspite of getting peanuts, work day and night for the prosperity and security of this country, take inspiration from them and there are plenty of such people instead of seeing the overseas Indians. We have come a long way from what we were then and there is still a lot a long road ahead of us and we are going in the right direction.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Yo Kiddo......what makes you think Indian Culture is so great. There are so many aspects of Indian culture that are just utter garbage....to put it politely.
So is the culture of west. So is every single culture in the world. Human beings are fallible and there is bound be some aspects that does not conform to the standard of one or the other.

So before you talk about culture......go travel the world and compare your great Indian culture with others...then talk.
Frankly, in today's world if someone needs to go globe trotting to have a gross understanding of various civilization and cultures, either he/she is a reseach scholar or a utter moron, given so much data available in mouse click away which give you very in depth understanding of past, present or future of any culture - and both glories and muck of the same culture.

[
]Do you ever wonder why nothing changes in India.....it doesnt matter how many different parties they are, or how many times you change governments, or how many elections you have - the corruption is still the same. That's a function of culture. Corruption is ingrained in Indian culture....another wonderful aspect of Indian culture.
There you go, openly declaring your utter lack of understanding of a nation you deign to give your opinion about. Nothing changed?!!! From which point? If you are talking about yesterday, then I have to concede - if you are talking about any more of time frame I have to digress.

Also, just look at you people too. How many elections been there since Korean war or to get a smaller time frame - since gulf war or even closer - since Afghanistan war? still your nation's Jingoism doesn't change?!!!! Actually, moral corruption is ingrained in your culture. A pitiful nation destroying other smaller nations for profiteering only!

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag

Do you ever wonder why nothing changes in India.....it doesnt matter how many different parties they are, or how many times you change governments, or how many elections you have - the corruption is still the same. That's a function of culture. Corruption is ingrained in Indian culture....another wonderful aspect of Indian culture.
There are many aspects of every culture which are crap. Including Indian, I agree.

But you have proved yourself to be a moron and a retard with your statement that India's lack of development is due to "culture". I hate shitheads who type such crap without understand the real reasons and dynamics.

Why did East and West Germany turn out so differently despite being the same culture? Why did South and North Korea turn out differently despite being the same culture? China was a shithole and a no-hoper till the 1970s. Why did the same Chinese nation turn around and become the world's fastest growing large nation soon? Why so many differences between China and Taiwan in level of development, despite having the same culture?

India was considered a no-hope nation and a cesspool of poverty till the 1980s. The same nation changed drastically in the new millennium and began to be counted as one of the future great powers of this century.

So what changed here? What explains the difference? Economic policy. Period.

North and South Korea followed different economic policies. West and East Germany followed different economic policies. China followed a different economic policy before 1978. India followed a different economic policy before 1991.

People do not matter, culture does not matter. Processes and systems matter. Policies matter.

So, don't show your retardedness by yammering about inferior cultures. Just shows up your pathetic level of knowledge.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
India has not capitalized on the Indian diaspora like china has. Maybe modi will change things?
Remember many people of Indian origin may have left india generations ago like my family
They are not All first generation immigrants. The more time that goes by the less the attachment
Or connection to india.
i agree with you first part - india should make better use of us - and what's the harm, - we are
willing to be an asset to them

as for the matter of being more distanced , the more time passes, that was true of the past
as it was so difficult to connect especialllly in the days before air-travel .

but now with more efficient air travel and especially internet services such as skype-chatting
the whole scenario has totally , and i mean TOTALLY changed.

with marriange agencies on the internet and with cmmunications worldwide indianto nri,
it is very different .

India should view the nri's and pio's as assets to be mutually benefial to one another

indian with foreign blood eg sunita williams who is half and now not married to indian, well
let's be fair and not mean about that - i say in such cases , there's no hard an fast rule
- it would depend on how indian they show themselves to be and accordingly we can treat them in return.
has now been overcome

Dhairya Yadav

This is the kind of thing I hate. Unlike you,I respect every culture .
Talking about travelling, I have been to Ethopia, Uganda,Tanzania, Dubai , Abu Dhabi, Thailand, Malaysia , Singapore,Hong Kong, China, and would go to Bali in Indonesia after 1 month. I live in Gujarat, where its a heritage to go on Vacations after Diwali .
Nothing has changed in India? Are you seriously kidding me??? This shows your lack of knowledge.
I find it exceptionally funny that you think Corruption is a part of our culture. Reading on internet about other cultures doesnt give you the authority to judge them.
First visit India, live here, then talk. Until then , drown in your exceptional superiority complex. I respect only those who deserve my respect.

Last edited:

Dhairya Yadav

Just to remove any unwanted misunderstandings , Im not saying that our culture shouldnt evolve. As time passes by, things should change, thats how evolution works !
But I completely support that we shouldnt shun our mother-tongue languages.
We have a lot of problems in our society like lack of caste system, status of women in our society, their empowerment, safety etc, which must be resolved as soon as possible.

I have a liberal view about these matters. Hope I didnt offended anyone ! :)

thethinker

Country flag
6 tea shop owners held for keeping separate tumblers for Dalits

6 tea shop owners held for keeping separate tumblers for Dalits | The Indian Express

"Dharmapuri police arrested six tea shop owners, including two women, on Saturday for discriminating against Dalits by serving them tea in separate set of glasses.

A senior police officer said the arrests were made following raids they conducted at tea shops."

--------------
Must be disappointing for those who think of India as a land where lower castes are constantly discriminated and have no legal recourse!

Ashutosh Lokhande

6 tea shop owners held for keeping separate tumblers for Dalits

6 tea shop owners held for keeping separate tumblers for Dalits | The Indian Express

"Dharmapuri police arrested six tea shop owners, including two women, on Saturday for discriminating against Dalits by serving them tea in separate set of glasses.

A senior police officer said the arrests were made following raids they conducted at tea shops."

--------------
Must be disappointing for those who think of India as a land where lower castes are constantly discriminated and have no legal recourse!
The problem is with the mentality. We need to change that.

There are still many people in india maybe not so much in metropolitan cities but in rural areas think they are superior coz they belong from a superior bloodline.

Although there are strict laws against caste descrimination; people should also be educated that good deeds and work make you a great person and not some so called superior bloodline.

Last edited:

thethinker

Country flag
The problem is with the mentality. We need to change that.

There are still many people in india maybe not so much in metropolitan cities but in rural areas think they are superior coz they belong from a superior bloodline.

Although there are strict laws against caste descrimination; people should also be educated that good deeds and work make you a great person and not some so called superior bloodline.
Strict laws help much more than educating. Especially for those with no civic or moral sense.

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
Indians have a really hard time admitting that their real problem is their "culture" and not the politicians.....(the politicians are just a by-product of their environment and culture).
Because if they do that; then it becomes a much more personal existential issue, that cannot be easily explained away with usual stale intellectually lazy argument - "its those dumb useless corrupt politicians".

Whenever I make this point - people go ballistic, and start calling me nasty names.
Some people think I am a foreigner who doesnt know anything about Indian culture.
I was born and raised in Indian culture and have studied it all my life.

Its true, that every culture, if you look hard enough, has its regressive characteristics and traits......but Indian culture's regressive characteristics far exceed those of other cultures, unless you are bottom-feeding and comparing it to Arab cultures, or you are one of those who is going to blame colonialism for every ill under the sun.
It is definitely far behind the Far Eastern cultures.

Indians bang their head against the wall, wondering why nothing ever changes significantly despite all the so called "progress".
Indian has had fairly decent clean highly educated men and women in the PMO office for the last 20 years or more......yet little has changed.
It is still one of the most corrupt countries in the world, and one of the most dysfunctional......and its not because of bad incompetent Prime Ministers.

No PM no matter how good, can clean up the rot underneath him when the rot is so massive.

If you want proof of how hopelessly dysfunctional India is - just count the number of dead IAF pilots who died flying the MIG-21. 482 accidents and a total of 171 dead young pilots and 39 civilians. All because it took them 20 years to acquire the AJT Hawk Trainer. And they are still flying these coffins.

Just ponder those numbers for a few seconds.....its truly mind boggling.

BTW: Save your breath with the name calling. I dont really give a crap anyway.

Last edited:

praneet.bajpaie

Indians have a really hard time admitting that their real problem is their "culture" and not the politicians.....(the politicians are just a by-product of their environment and culture).
Because if they do that; then it becomes a much more personal existential issue, that cannot be easily explained away with usual stale intellectually lazy argument - "its those dumb useless corrupt politicians".

Whenever I make this point - people go ballistic, and start calling me nasty names.
Some people think I am a foreigner who doesnt know anything about Indian culture.

Its true, that every culture, if you look hard enough, has its regressive characteristics and traits......but Indian culture's regressive characteristics far exceed those of other cultures, unless you are bottom-feeding and comparing it to Arab cultures, or you are one of those who is going to blame colonialism for every ill under the sun.

Indians bang their head against the wall, wondering why nothing ever changes significantly despite all the so called "progress".
Indian has had fairly decent clean highly educated men and women in the PMO office for the last 20 years or more......yet little has changed.
It is still one of the most corrupt countries in the world, and one of the most dysfunctional......and its not because of bad incompetent Prime Ministers.

No PM no matter how good, can clean up the rot underneath him when the rot is so massive.

If you want proof of how hopelessly dysfunctional India is - just count the number of dead IAF pilots who died flying the MIG-21. 482 accidents and a total of 171 dead young pilots and 39 civilians. All because it took them 20 years to acquire the AJT Hawk Trainer. And they are still flying these coffins.

and this is the main problem with this country really. No sense of patriotism among the people.

How did you come to the assessment that Indian culture is far behind Far east cultures? on one hand you claim that you have been brought up on Indian culture and on the other hand you make comments out of your ass. Strange isn't it?

LalTopi

What do we think about Indian-American, Indian-Canadian etc?

I personally dont care and see them as common foreigners. I dislike when Indian media makes over hype over achievement of Indian-Americans(Sunita Williams) or Indian-British.
What do I care what you think. Your views are irrelevant. My father and mother left India post independence because they lived in abject poverty and they wanted a better life for their children. They struggled to make a better living first in Africa and then in the UK. In a sense they were pioneers and I am immensely proud and grateful to them. I am Indian by virtue of their blood which flows through my veins, and my children are Indian likewise. Nothing that you think or anyone else thinks changes that fact.

Max Mojito

Im born in Canada, parents came here in the 70s. I personally love India and Indians, I'm studying to become a teacher and I am going to be doing my volunteering in India, which is my way of giving back. Only thing I don't understand is when I converse in Hindi, people have to reply in English and I don't end up understanding their English. Other then that I love my India :D

Sambha ka Boss

The sense of humour of NRIs is very firangi type, you won't feel laughing at their jokes. :shocked: I had some of them during my college days. PS. No offense meant. :sad:

Ashutosh Lokhande

Only thing I don't understand is when I converse in Hindi, people have to reply in English and I don't end up understanding their English. :D
Next time You converse in english and let them reply in hindi. Problem solved :cheers: :D

Dhairya Yadav

Next time, Quote me. And I didnt say any nasty names . So stop lying.

Thanks for using Far East being better than Indian culture, and corruption in India is due our culture in same post- File:Corruption Perception index 2013.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Every developing country is struggling with corruption. Get your facts right.
And dont make assumptions about me. I never blame Politicians . India is a democracy. People select the leaders so people are responsible .

Also, India was 10th in GDP PPP in 2004 and now its 3rd . This isnt progress? Check the decline of American and other western economies please.

India is dysfunctional !!?? :shocked:
India is the world's most diverse country .Nobody, not one country expected us to survive in 1947. And here we are, 68 years on , still rocking, still growing.
Want a dysfunctional country? Check Pakistan. Thats dysfunctional.
The city I live in , is the world's 3rd fastest developing city. Again, how are we not progressing?

I dont let my patriotism distort my views. I might just be 17 , but I do know stuff.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag

Instead of talking out of your ass, why don't you answer the points I made in this post:

There are many aspects of every culture which are crap. Including Indian, I agree.

But you have proved yourself to be a moron and a retard with your statement that India's lack of development is due to "culture". I hate shitheads who type such crap without understand the real reasons and dynamics.

Why did East and West Germany turn out so differently despite being the same culture? Why did South and North Korea turn out differently despite being the same culture? China was a shithole and a no-hoper till the 1970s. Why did the same Chinese nation turn around and become the world's fastest growing large nation soon? Why so many differences between China and Taiwan in level of development, despite having the same culture?

India was considered a no-hope nation and a cesspool of poverty till the 1980s. The same nation changed drastically in the new millennium and began to be counted as one of the future great powers of this century.

So what changed here? What explains the difference? Economic policy. Period.

North and South Korea followed different economic policies. West and East Germany followed different economic policies. China followed a different economic policy before 1978. India followed a different economic policy before 1991.

People do not matter, culture does not matter. Processes and systems matter. Policies matter.

So, don't show your retardedness by yammering about inferior cultures. Just shows up your pathetic level of knowledge.
I can counter every silly point that you make, but it looks like you are on a mission to troll and be as nasty as you can. You really have no desire to improve your knowledge or share perspectives.

Try answering the questions I posed in my post, then we can take your points seriously. If you can't do that, just admit that you are a messed-up low-IQ creature, and stop inflicting us with your inanities.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles