What devoured glamorous Pakistan?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
My cousin works for BBC in Delhi!:happy_7:

Vulcan

Its a simple answer.

Pakistanis are the biggest liars the world has seen. Deceit is their biggest asset. Corrupt to the core and hardcore islamists. These are some of the major causes for their downfall

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
As a person of Indian descent I find these articles irritating and embarrassing. Here are some of the reasons why:
  • These articles reek of insecurity and poor self esteem. To identify and boast of one's advancement in the eyes of the mighty West by the demise of another isn't a sign of confidence, its a reminder of the unresolved inferiority complex.
  • It exposes us for being very petty and self obsessed.
  • It highlights the tendency to hyperbolize and distort reality to for the sake of petty gratification. Self delusion withstanding, India is not really the "envy" of the West. India still has a long litany of horrendous problems aging back hundreds if not thousands of years that haven't been instantly resolved by the few MNC offices with glass front buildings. All the "Bangloring" he boasts about wouldn't have happened without open Western markets to which it caters, and people in the West are well aware of this. It is rather un-classy to publicly gnaw at the hand that feeds you.
  • It emits shameless hypocrisy. He points out Pakistan's folly in inflating it's "image" through a few elites who clearly weren't representative of the society, but he chooses to ignore the similar effect with India. The Indians in the West aren't a representation of the real India either.
  • India still has the largest number of poor, destitute, malnourished and diseased people in the world, most of whom remain marginalized.
  • If you ask me , flaunting the now superior flamboyance of India's nouveau riche billionaires and millionaires highlights the problem of ignorance, obscenity and poor wealth distribution more so than anything to be truly proud about.

I should hope young Indians base their self esteem on their own achievements and their ability to finally rid their society of its countless ills by becoming harbingers of prosperity and modernity. To progress with humility shows class and brings more respect. To dance over Pakistan's gaffes while prematurely assuming that India is destined for everlasting success makes us look foolish.

Clearly Mr. Sanghvi still harbors animosity for not getting nearly as much attention as Benazir Bhutto or as much tail as Imran Khan. Reveling about how messed up Pakistan is doesn't really do anything but reinforce his inferiority complex. It would be unwise to get trapped by his demons.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
I think Vir Sanghvi through his perspective has shown that how two countries; Pakistan which chose style over substance and India which chose substance over style have ended up. To some his perspective might seem honest and to some dishonest and low on self-esteem but the matter of the fact is that there is a definitive change in the attitudes of people towards India than what is used to be (land of snake charmers anyone?) and here he has used Pakistan as background for this narrative. And today we see Indians more aggressive and more confident than before. So, I don't see the point of attributing so many negative points to this article when it was only meant to portray change in attitudes of people towards Indians over the time.

navida

Vir Singhvi's bragging about a few rich Indians is Obscene. We have produced some super wealthy individuals but is not the way to judge a nation's success. If a nation has to be judged by the humanity and equality with which its people are treated, India has a LONG way to go.

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
^^ I think you are missing the point. The focus of this article was about the image of India in the West. In that he is bang on target.

Yes, we do have a very long way to go and a positive image to go with economic growth will help us reach there faster.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Compare India in 1970 and compare now.

Yes we have long way to go but we aren't in the dumps either!

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Compare India in 1970 and compare now.

Yes we have long way to go but we aren't in the dumps either!

Phenom

Vir Sanghivi writes some of the most sensible articles about Pakistan, he is probably the only one in the mainstream media doing that. Most articles are about "we are the same people" type.

Another thing, this articles also indicates why some in the Indian elite are so awe struck by Pakistanis. They mostly studied in London during the time frame Sanghivi talks about and returned to India before witnessing the fall. And now they still hold the Pakistanis in the old glamorous image.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
I believe this article holds a lesson for all indians here too often we fail to see and learn form the failures of our neighbours but see it we must . Pakistan failed because of one thng and one thing only the adaptation of religion as a weapon of war and politics. If there is one thing histroy has taught us it is that matters of religion are best left to priests and matters of government are best left to politicians, wherever in the world both have mixed ther has been chaos whether it is bosnia in the 90's or Iran in the time of the revolution religion has been the catlyst to massive and sometimes violent political upheaval , pakistan failed to understand this and is paying the price now. we too have had our failures in babri, godhra and the sikh riots with all politicians from all hues using religion as a tool of power. someone once said " do not wield a weapon whose power you do not understand" we still have time to learn.

navida

We have made significant advancement in certain areas. But I really don't think we have a lot to brag about. Taking pride and being confident is one but having false pride and putting down others is another. I just feel Indians should be modest and the world should appreciate us if we deserve. Not go around congratulating ourselves for the few Indians who have made it big.

Last edited:

pmaitra

Roughly, from independence up till the early 90s Pakistan was superior to India in its economic growth, infrastructure and industrialization.
Sir, I beg to disagree. I am not sure what indicators known to you led you to such a conclusion. India was backward and many parts of India are still backward. However, when was Pakistan more Industrialised than India? Tuning into Pakistani Radio or TV surely isn't an indicator in my books. Even Pakistani commentators will not agree to this (except of course the multitude of Pakistani braggards).

BTW, I am not willing to include American aid to Pakistan as support for Pakistan's economic superiority over India, as has been claimed in the post quoted above.

Please do see these two videos:

Last edited by a moderator:

neo29

Pakistan saw the Islamic revolution in Iran a success. Ayub Khan started the Islamisation of Pakistan by introducting Sharia Law. This was probably the turning point when the general masses became fanatics and the seeds of Jehadism started. The Growth of Jehadism was more spreading among poor people and added fuel during the Soviet-Mujahideen war. After the Mujahideen won, jehadism was seen as a powerful tool to destroy the greatest enemies and was spreading rapidly inside Pakistan and their madrassa started preaching them. The rest is history.

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
I think Vir Sanghvi through his perspective has shown that how two countries; Pakistan which chose style over substance and India which chose substance over style have ended up. To some his perspective might seem honest and to some dishonest and low on self-esteem but the matter of the fact is that there is a definitive change in the attitudes of people towards India than what is used to be (land of snake charmers anyone?) and here he has used Pakistan as background for this narrative. And today we see Indians more aggressive and more confident than before. So, I don't see the point of attributing so many negative points to this article when it was only meant to portray change in attitudes of people towards Indians over the time.
IMHO Vir Sanghvi has done nothing notable to shed light on the divergence between India and Pakistan. Cherry picked anecdotal incidents, hyperbole and loaded statements hardly presents a perspective worthy of merit. And some of the simplistic reasoning he indulges in is downright asinine.

I'm not saying that all of the observations are false, clearly there is a divergence between the two nations, but he fails to present any contextually relevant valid reasons explaining the phenomenon and instead indulges in populist Pakistani bashing and silly jingoism. Although such pieces garner a lot of attention in India they can hardly be classified as intellectual dialogue (something columnists are supposed to provide).

lodaxstax

Glamorous Pakistan??duh.

The Title should be what devoured Myth of Glamorous Pakistan. few paki elites does not make a whole country.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles