West Indies team bus stoned in Dhaka

A.V.

The bus carrying the West Indies players has been stoned on its way back to the team hotel after they thrashed Bangladesh by nine wickets in Mirpur. There were no injuries, the team management confirmed to ESPNcricinfo, and both squads were safely back at the hotel but the players were shaken.

News of the incident spread across the world within moments, evoking memories of the attack on the Sri Lanka team bus in Lahore almost exactly two years ago - though that was far more serious - and will raise questions about the security provided to teams at the tournament.

"This is some b*******," Chris Gayle tweeted moments after the incident. "Bangladesh stoning our bus!!! Freaking glass break!!! This is c***, can't believe..what next bullets!!!! Kiss teeth".

The team's media manager, Philip Spooner, confirmed that two windows cracked, but none shattered, and hence no stone made its way inside. "We left the ground, and on our way back to the hotel, a couple of stones did hit our window," Spooner said. "We are now back at the hotel, both teams are back at the hotel and are safe."

Mustafa Kamal, the Bangladesh board president, apologised to the West Indies team. "We are sorry it happened," Kamal told AFP. "We have already ordered an investigation and the police are working on it. There was enough security for the buses, the fans may have thought it was the Bangladesh bus. The stones were thrown from a long distance. No serious damage was done, but still we are very sorry this happened."

The incident occurred after West Indies completed a crushing nine-wicket victory over the hosts in a match that lasted all of 31.1 overs. The discontent among the crowd could be seen when they started throwing the placards that have "4" and "6" written on them onto the playing field the moment Bangladesh lost their last wicket to be bowled out for their lowest-ever ODI total - 58.

The stones hit the bus when it was about three minutes on its way back to the hotel. Spooner said that the team manager, Richie Richardson, would notify the respective boards and the ICC soon. There was no panic, he said. "Just make sure you mention that nobody got hurt, everybody is safe. There is no panic, everybody is fine."

Gayle was not that calm about it. He tweeted again: "This is ridiculous!!! Damn!!! W Cup with so many security an this happen!! Big Joke!!! Trust me I'm not keen here!!! Av (every) players lay flat!!!"

A Bangladesh police official said the fans had mistaken the West Indies bus for the Bangladesh bus. "The fans thought it was the Bangladeshi team bus and they hurled stones at it," Imtiaz Ahmed, deputy commissioner of police in Dhaka, told AFP. "The window panes were shattered, but no one was injured."

Bangladesh v West Indies: West Indies team bus stoned in Dhaka | Cricket News | ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 | ESPN Cricinfo

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Very unfortunate this. It would not go down well with the ICC and I am sure some action will be taken. It may also have an immediate bearing on future bangladesh matches during this world cup.

A.V.

what i dont understand is why are the official trying to justify the case by saying that the crowd though it was the bangaladeshi team bus , would it be nice if the opposite team bus was attacked , atleast the officials give me the impression that they are support the stone pelting on the host bus

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
"Sorry" doesn't make it right.

Bangladesh has lost it on International Stage. Moreover it brings shame on all organizing countries & leaves much bad impression about South Asia for multinational sport events. Attack on Srilankans in Pak, badly managed scam driven CWG10 & now this.... Makes us all south asians look like backward & immature society.

A.V.

there is lack of tolerance everywhere it seems especially in cricket if you can take the victory learn to take the defeat and be humble , a sad day for the sport

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Yes, the statement issued by the official that the people thought it was the bangladeshi bus is highly deplorable. Kind of tacit approval of the act.
Would the ICC take the extreme step of relocating the rest of the matches to be played there?

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
people are extremely passionate about cricket in the sub continent and they do find ways of venting out their frustrations, though its the first time a foreign team has been specifically attacked and like this.

bad tours overseas has seen cricketers houses literally be mobbed with stuff thrown, a bad game for the host nation and people have thrown all that they could lay their hands-on on to the ground and now this.

can terror attack on the sri lankan team be equated with what happened in dhaka, i dont think so but none the less a very sad incident and doesnt argue well for the security provided for the teams.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
can terror attack on the sri lankan team be equated with what happened in dhaka, i dont think so but none the less a very sad incident and doesnt argue well for the security provided for the teams.
It can not be equated Riteshji. But when generalizations on security over multinational Sports events are made on International stage, it surely brings disgrace over all of us IMO.

This incident may explode into supernova all over media reporting unless ICC/BCCI/WC OC puts pressure on native & foreign media houses.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
It can not be equated Riteshji. But when generalizations on security over multinational Sports events are made on International stage, it surely brings disgrace over all of us IMO.

This incident may explode into supernova all over media reporting unless ICC/BCCI/WC OC puts pressure on native & foreign media houses.
i dont think the flow of information can be controlled, its already out and spreading fast, now its upto those boards what to do but with literal monopoly of bcci over icc, and acc a strong body within the repercussions wont be of much consequence but if those other boards decide to skip b'desh then yes the whole WC could go for a toss but i would believe all that will be controlled before it gets that bad.

it no doubt raises a question on the security provided and i am not running away from that concern, about disgrace, well ............ subcontinent is associated with all this anyway, isnt it?

PS: kindly just call me ritesh :).

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
i dont think the flow of information can be controlled, its already out and spreading fast, now its upto those boards what to do but with literal monopoly of bcci over icc, and acc a strong body within the repercussions wont be of much consequence but if those other boards decide to skip b'desh then yes the whole WC could go for a toss but i would believe all that will be controlled before it gets that bad.

it no doubt raises a question on the security provided and i am not running away from that concern, about disgrace, well ............ subcontinent is associated with all this anyway, isnt it?

PS: kindly just call me ritesh :).
Lets hope it doesn't get any bad.... :)

--

BTW, this is some West Indies citizen commenting somewhere on news website --

Does BANGLADESH, Comes to WEST INDIES to play Cricket any soon? Just asking.
:pound:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Apparantly they wanted to stone bangladeshi bus!

We should not take moral high ground....our supporters have also thrown black paint on our players houses in the past. Security should have been tighter because few mindless idiots can always spoil the show.

Oracle

Bangladesh doesn't deserve anything other than abuses for this. How is this incident different that the firing onto SL team in Pakistan? Fuc**ing radicals!!!

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
I still don't get why WC hosting has to be shared between nations in the subcontinent. Why couldn't India be pitched as a dedicated host? I can understand that circumstances were a lot different back in 1996, but with so many stadia with flood-lights, and great facilities in India, why couldn't India be a dedicated host?

Oracle

/\/\/\ India can be given the rights to fully host the WC. But then Bangladesh has 2 stadiums, and SL too has 2 stadiums, and Pakistan is out of the equation. So, it will take 6 months to finish the WC if Pak-SL-Ban are to host it next, right? My calculation about stadiums may be not upto the mark, but the reason is poor infrastructure, plus radical jihads.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I still don't get why WC hosting has to be shared between nations in the subcontinent. Why couldn't India be pitched as a dedicated host? I can understand that circumstances were a lot different back in 1996, but with so many stadia with flood-lights, and great facilities in India, why couldn't India be a dedicated host?
Because we need there votes.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Because they are divided into blocks.

South-east Asia - India, Pak, BD, SL
Australia - Aus, NZ
Africa - SA, ZMB, KEN
England - Eng, Ire, Scot
America - Carribean Islands

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Votes!!! If we don't share the WC with them, they will say india has attitude problem and vote for other competing nation for hosting.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
It was the bangladesh players who played a degraded game of cricket and instead of throwing stones on the bangladesh's team bus, the people or the fans therw it on the west indies. Now ICC has to take the remaining matches out of bangladesh.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles