West Delhi communal clash leaves 25 injured

mehwish92

Founding Member
Country flag
A communal clash between Sikhs and Valmikis erupted in West Delhi's Tilak Vihar on Thursday, leaving at least 25 injured, including five policemen. Three of the injured have gunshot wounds but police denied opening fire and claimed they only used water cannons, lathis and teargas shells to break up the clash.

The three men with gunshot wounds were identified as Mohar Singh, Sunny Singh and Raghunath. They are being treated at Deen Dayal Upadhyay Hospital. One of them was shot in the neck while another was hit in the abdomen.

Three of the injured policemen are said to have head injuries. Seven police vehicles, including that of the district ACP, were damaged in the violence.

Sunny Singh (23), who owns a bangle shop in the area, alleged, "My friends and I had gathered to see what was happening. There was stone-pelting and the police opened fire. I was running away when the police shot at me."

The clashes broke out around 2 pm next to the Tilak Vihar police chowki. The chowki was vandalised by the rioters. One group targeted the chowki, claiming that the police were supporting the other side.

It's unclear what started the violence because there were conflicting versions. "Trouble began after some men began performing stunts on motorcycles in the area," Delhi Police spokesperson Rajan Bhagat said.

According to eyewitnesses, a heated argument between members of the two communities led to the clash. "We don't know what started the argument. While some claimed a minor accident started it, others claimed the argument was over flying kites. Suddenly, some men began pelting stones," an eye-witness alleged.

An hour after the police brought the situation under control, members of both the communities continued to trade charges.

Chaman Singh, member of the Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee, alleged, "The Valmikis were armed with knives and guns. There was stone-pelting from both sides. The Valmikis entered our houses and began attacking people. They tried to burn our vehicles and the police outpost. There was also firing by the police."

Jamuna Kaur, a resident, alleged, "My son was present at the place where the clashes erupted. They attacked our men and began pelting stones. In retaliation, we too began pelting stones. They then attacked our people."

Kapil, a Valmiki, countered that claim. "Sikhs began pelting stones at us. Some of them entered our neighbourhood and assaulted us. They set fire to 10-12 vehicles and were armed with kirpans and sticks," he alleged.

Over 1,000 police personnel from several districts were called in to bring the situation under control. Addl CP (West) V Renganathan said, "A case of rioting has been registered on the complaint of the outpost in-charge."

"We held meetings with both the communities who have assured that they would maintain peace in the area," Rajan Bhagat said.

West Delhi communal clash leaves 25 injured - Indian Express

mehwish92

Founding Member
Country flag
Sikhs here in Canada starting to use this as fodder, saying Sikhs are not safe in India.

Communal tensions seem to be flaring in several parts of the country recently. Wonder what's going on? With the economy in the dumps, are we reverting back to our old intolerant days, or something to do with the political situation in the country, or something else?

Don't understand why the Sikhs would be involved/targeted though.

Sukerchakia

Sikhs here in Canada starting to use this as fodder, saying Sikhs are not safe in India.

Communal tensions seem to be flaring in several parts of the country recently. Wonder With the economy in the dumps, are we reverting back to our old intolerant days, or something to do with the political situation in the country, or something else?

Don't understand why the Sikhs would be involved/targeted though.
Sikhs in Canada have a habit of magnifying every incident in India as threat to Sikhism. It shouldn't be of any concern to us Indians.

Regarding Sikhs getting involved in such unfortunate incidents - They are a community like any other and not above such activities. Yes they are comparatively well off in terms of economic indicators as compared to other groups in India but Delhi has a mix of Sikhs at all spectrums. This is just a neighborhood fight gone bad between two mohallas. It's not welcome of course, but is a reality of the ghettoized urban centers of our country.

parijataka

Country flag
What is this with motor cycle stunts on public roads these days, seem to be getting out of hand.

Govt should come down with heavy hand on these young men regardless of caste or creed, including the one by Muslim youth for Shaab Baraat. No excuses and no vote bank politics.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Tilak Vihar is a colony of those surviving Sikhs whose families were killed during 1984 pogrom.
Valmikis generally belong to sweeper profession.
This area is not a safe area.

Decklander

Tilak Vihar is a colony of those surviving Sikhs whose families were killed during 1984 pogrom.
Even in 1984 riots, it is people from such slums who started the riots and killings for the lure of looting the sikh community. And these were the people who were led by congress leaders.

TrueSpirit

Tilak Vihar is such a good market-place especially for marriage-related shopping. Actually, entire belt from Rajouri Garden to Tilak Vihar is suited for that. Never heard that it is unsafe.

Yes, Uttam Nagar is definitely one of those places which is inhabited by a particular community whose ancestral profession is killing/strangulating & looting; cannot recall the name, right now.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Tilak Vihar is such a good market-place especially for marriage-related shopping. Actually, entire belt from Rajouri Garden to Tilak Vihar is suited for that. Never heard that it is unsafe.
That would be Tilak Nagar not Tilak Vihar.

Tilak Vihar is behind Tilak Nagar, and definitely not a place anybody wants to go to, unless you are looking for trouble or drugs.

Yes, Uttam Nagar is definitely one of those places which is inhabited by a particular community whose ancestral profession is killing/strangulating & looting; cannot recall the name, right now.
That would be Raghubir Nagar and not Uttam Nagar, its inhabited by Sansis.

Reactions: sob

TrueSpirit

That would be Tilak Nagar not Tilak Vihar.

Tilak Vihar is behind Tilak Nagar, and definitely not a place anybody wants to go to, unless you are looking for trouble or drugs..
Yes, I was talking about Tilak Nagar. Sorry, didn't even realize this event happened in Tilak Vihar, whose name I have heard first time.

That would be Raghubir Nagar and not Uttam Nagar, its inhabited by Sansis.
I am pretty sure it was Uttam Nagar. 7 years ago, some cab drivers in our company (living in Uttam Nagar) used to narrate incidents...but Sansis was not the name...it was something else...but, I have no way of finding that out, now.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Sikhs in Canada have a habit of magnifying every incident in India as threat to Sikhism. It shouldn't be of any concern to us Indians.

Regarding Sikhs getting involved in such unfortunate incidents - They are a community like any other and not above such activities. Yes they are comparatively well off in terms of economic indicators as compared to other groups in India but Delhi has a mix of Sikhs at all spectrums. This is just a neighborhood fight gone bad between two mohallas. It's not welcome of course, but is a reality of the ghettoized urban centers of our country.
Sikhs are not aliens from Mars.

They are as human as anyone and what is more quite a few have fiery temper.

If anyone gets into a fight, would the other party just stand still and say let us talk?

Everyone is not MMS prodded by someone else for political mileage!

These chaps were men who decided their destiny without any political prodding!

It is just another law and order issue and nothing more!

It is time we stop this community labelling for everything - Sikhs involved and so on!

Sikhs are entitled to retaliate as anyone else!

Last edited:

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag
when people don't have money they tend to do these kind of things.

pajjis-hey look paji no money lets pelt stone on these valmikis
valmikis-no money to fly kite on 15th of august lets pelt stone on pajjis

money solves most of the problem
pajjis=hey i've got money lets celebrate 15th of august and don't forget to invite valmikis.
valmikis-hey let's do this men drinks on me.
then all the pajjis go burra and valmikis get drunk and they dance together and celebrate independence day :gangnam:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Making grounds to bring in their relatives.

Enterprising chaps.
Sir, only widows and orphans live in this colony ie Tilak Vihar. All of them victims of 84 pogrom.

From what I gather some "Balmikis" aka Sweepers, possibly intoxicated from the nearby slums picked up a fight with a few Sikhs. It had something to do with kites, and from there it snowballed.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
@Singh,

I am not aware of all the facts, but this much I can fathom is that it is a law and order issue.

I fail to understand why the media has to sensationalise the issue and give it a communal angle!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: VIP

anoop_mig25

Country flag
What a hack we are having communal clash on petty issues.What hack is going on

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles