West Bengal Madrasa headmaster to get National Teacher Award

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by ejazr, Sep 12, 2010.

1. ejazr

ejazr Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Madrasa headmaster to get National Teacher Award

The teacher of a madrasa in West Bengal who enrolled more Hindus than Muslims is set to get the National Teacher Award from the President, on the occassion of Teacher’s Day this year. Anwar Hossain, the headmaster of Orgram Chatuspalli High Madrasa in Burdwan district of West Bengal, has been informed by state government officials that he will get the highest recognition for a teacher on September 5 this year, at Rastrapati Bhavan.

When Hossain joined the madrasa in 1977, it had just 34 students. As students rose, the institution drew more Hindus than Muslims, and today it has about 64 per cent Hindu students. “The award I hope will do away with false notions about madrasas in our country. Madrasas are centers of learning where all sorts of education is being provided, “ Hossain said.

Hossain, 56, reminsces about his three decades of work in shaping up the institution that has come to be a symbol of communal harmony. He said that the madrasa drew more students from other communities because the institution provided succour to students who had no access to education. “Even today all books till class X are given free of cost to the students,” Hossain said.

When The Indian Express first reported about the Madrasa in January this year, the madrasa had 883 students of which about 555 were Hindus. Now it has been upgraded to Higher Secondary level and has 1078 students with HS streams in both Science and Humanities.

“It is good news for us that the headmaster will get this honour from the President. This also shows the effort made by the state government for modernisation of madrasas in West Bengal, drawing national and international attention,” said Abdus Sattar, Minister of State for Minority Development and Madrasa Education.

3. Sabir

Sabir DFI TEAM Senior Member

The effort of State Government (read Budhdhadev Bhattachariya) to modernize the Madrassah education system really changing the scenario in rural areas. Introduction of Madrassah Service commission in line of School Service Commission to select Madrassah teachers and increased importance on science subjects was a great step by the Government. Today , some Madrassahs are not only attracting non-Muslim Students, two-third of the Madrassah teachers are said to be non-Muslims.

But , Government must be careful to insulate the Madrassahs from local radicals as they often create pressure on the Head Masters through Madrassah Committees with their illogical demands.

4. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

Well said Sabir. Unfortunately, radicals do exist and you cannot tell which way they will turn.

I would like to point out that during the Nandigram Violence upto March 2007, we even saw Jamat-e-Islami and BJP leaders sharing the stage with the TMC and Maoists (and their retinue of hardcore ideologues) spearheading the anti-Buddhadeb Bhattacharya government campaign.

Strange bedfellows indeed.

I kind of like what Vladimir Lenin said, "Politics is too important an issue to be left to the commoners!"

5. Sabir

You know...Budhdhadev Bhattacharya is tragic hero in the History of Bengal. He started reform in Muslim Education system- all Muslim leaders started shifting to the TMC camp. He started industrialization of the state, people started shifting to TMC camp. (they were sleeping during dark era of Jyoti Basu )

6. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

If only the people of West Bengal realised that. If they are suffering today, it is because of their own and very own choices.

7. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

tragedy of WB, for some reason people there tend to move away from saner options. dread the day a certain maomata was to take over the reigns of WB!

8. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

It is good that the Madrassa has enrolled non Muslim students.

What is the curriculum being taught in such madrassas?

9. nrj

nrj Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

This should be inspiration for other Madarsas. Good example of communal harmony by even inducting non-muslim students who do not have access to education.

:emot112:

10. Sabir

Curriculam is now same as secondary schools with option of Arabic and Islamin History ...

I just back home today morning after dropping my sister in a town in Maldah district where she is joining as Bioscience teacher. My elder sister too is a biosicence teacher. The Madrassahs are getting good teacher now as aspirants are appearing for Madrassah Service Commission examination finding competition (application:seat ratio) is less here than school service commission where pay-scale is same..

11. bhogta

bhogta Regular Member

They should be start hiring people from every section of community and in the same time make education more compatible so student can go for higher education. In the same time its better to teach student about country and democracy and tolerance for other( in both way). I hope we get some good future generation people out of that school(Madrassa)

12. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Sabir,

I am aware that the madrassa in Bengal have been 'modernised' by having mainstream subjects. However, as is popularly believed, it is a religious school with religious instructions.

How is that reconciled?

13. Sabir

Sir, Though there is effort to modernize the Madrassas, these are not fully out of grip of the Madrassa committees (made of important persons in the locality). I am not saying every one in these committees are radicals but preventive measures should be taken by providing more independence to the head masters recruited by the Commission than the Madrassa committees.

Our main concern is not the Madrassas under the Commission but hundreds of smaller unauthorised madrassas where fundamentalism creeps in. Direct attempt to shut them down can create resentment among poor Muslims as they are not capable to understand reason. Best ploy should be to convert them to primary education centers by capturing the control.

Mainly, we , the people in cities have the perception that these are religious institutions. But people in rural areas are not that skeptical. I got surprised when I was talking with a shopkeeper in Chnachal town. The Madrassa my sister has joined is 3-4 kms away from there but people in the town know the headmaster. The shopkeeper who is a Hindu kept on praising the Head Master Mr Azizul Islam. It seems Madrassa teachers are important figures in rural areas. But in cities we can not think that. I can not tell the name of the Head Master in the Madrassa within half km from my house.

14. Sabir

During selection (personality test) of the teachers it should be carefully noted whether the candidate is fit for motivating the students for higher education and make them aware of the Nation and its people. Aim should be to bring better citizens out of them. (However, even in the most prominent schools provide us more doctors , engineers etc but less good citizens)

I have the opportunity to look at the answer sheets of unit tests thanks to my sister. You can not understand handwriting in 90% of the papers even in eight standard. My sister said 80-90% of them are first generation attending school (mostly because of Mid-day meal scheme). So they have a lot of challenge to overcome.

15. bhogta

bhogta Regular Member

Sabir this is simple, no one want to go in villages and give education, so even a Madrassa to a Hindu parents and a Hindu school (RSS runs) to Muslim parents , which can give a good education is a welcome. People want good education for there child. In big cities education is like a industry and that type school can't comes as good as private school.

16. sandeepdg

sandeepdg Senior Member Senior Member

I think other states need to take a cue out of this example of Bengal and emulate them instead of fanning communism and ensuring that every child gets a decent education irrespective of his or her religion and social and economic conditions, especially now that is one of the basic rights of the constitution.