West Bengal has half of India's cancer patients

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Daredevil, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

Kolkata: With near about five lakh cancer patients, West Bengal accounts for half of the country's total cancer cases, a senior doctor said on Sunday. "West Bengal has five lakhs cancer patients. 70,000 cases of cancer are detected every year in the state out of which 35,000 die annually due to cancer," Medical Director, Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose Cancer Research Institute Ashis Mukhopadhyay said.

He said lungs cancer is more prevalent among men and cervical cancer among women. In urban areas, breast cancer is more prevalent. "Every 25 women out of 100 suffer from breast cancer," he said.

He said quitting smoking and alcohol consumption and steps to control pollution can help prevent cancer.

West Bengal has half of India's cancer patients - India - IBNLive
    +++++++++

Very alarming that a single state has half of India's cancer patients.

3. jackprince

jackprince Turning into a frog Senior Member

Cigerrette Smoking Is Injurious to Health!!! This simple message has utterly failed to reach in the mind of Bengalis. And you cannot breath air fresh from cigerrette/Bidi smoke in any public place in Kolkata. So no wonder there's such a high percentage of cancer patient in Kolkata. My mom herself is in remission. 4 of my maternal uncle were victim of it. And I am living in constant fear of it, having quit smoking about 6 months back.

4. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

@jackprince, My wishes for a speedy and full recovery for your mom and good to know that you have quit smoking.

smoking alone should not be reason for such high numbers of cancer patients in Bengal. Also for breast cancer, I am sure that more study is required. Does the high level of arsenic in the ground water have something to contribute.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
    jackprince and Mad Indian like this.
  5. Mad Indian

Mad Indian Proud Bigot Veteran Member Senior Member

Must be some shitty statistic at work. How can a single state account for half of cancer patients?:rolleyes:

6. Subramanian

Subramanian Regular Member

phoonk phoonk dere,phoonk zara phoonk,phoonk de

hayaat phoonk de,hawaas phoonke

saason se sila hua libaas phoonk de

7. panduranghari

panduranghari Senior Member Senior Member

People from rural UP Bihar who reach Kolkata Mumbai Delhi in late stages of cancer give a very incorrect image.

This is true story.

In my Father in laws circle of friends- who are General Med Practitioners - one of them has compounders who pack medicines up and give them to the patients. This doctor does not give them salary- you'd wonder why would anyone work for him for free? Well these guys - always from UP Bihar- see what medicines are used for what ailment. WOrk for 1 year and then move to UP. Before they go, they get one of their cousins to work as a compounder with him for 2 months to train him. The man who leaves go to UP and starts a medical practice and tells his patient - 'hum bambai ki degree leekar aaye hai'. This idiots who have never even gone to standard 12 are now practicing medicine in UP. They surely know 'F*** all'. they misdiagnose and prescribe paracetamol or somthing similar. in 70\% cases it works. In 30 % where it does not, they give a letter and ask them to go to Mumbai for treatment.

When I was doing my resident post in Tata Memorial Hospital - which is the biggest cancer hospital in the country - I saw many people suffering from advanced oral cancer - stage 3 mostly. All were dead men walking. No hope.

So what is happening in Kolkatta is perhaps related to this. It just has a bigger catchment area.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  8. Mad Indian

Mad Indian Proud Bigot Veteran Member Senior Member

^^^ atleast the folks you mention are prescribing only paracetamol . In my how town, there was a fraud who used to prescribe drugs like Amikacin:facepalm:. Doctors here tried bringing him to court but that fellow ad some non sense alternate medicine degree and the court just let him to be free. Just look at the state of judiciary!!

Also ever wondered why these kind of practitioners never face mal practice suits like the normal and actual doctors do? :hmm:

9. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

punjab is india's cancer capital:sad::sad::sad: