Well off villagers shun free Hindi medium, send kids English medium

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Ray, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

There have been made threads out here where there has been vociferous demands for Hindi to be applicable for all seasons, There has also been the misinforumed claim that Hindi is the National Language or Rshtra Bhasa, when in actuality it is but an Official Language along with English.

And here we find that Hindi speaking poor shun free education in Hindi to go to schools that teach English and through the English medium, with dubious Saints added to their school's name.

One of officers who took premature retirement started a school in Delhi as Saint Chouhan. I was thunderstruck and I asked him who was this Catholic Saint. He was candid enough to state that unless you added the word "Saint", it would not attract students and that his great grandfather was Sant and in English it would be pronounced as 'Saint'!

Another friend who was from Delhi and studied in Raisina Bengali Higher Secondary school was being rejected at job interviews once he gave out his school's name. He used "Saint Raisina' and was selected, but his conscience pricked and he told the Board he added the 'Saint' on his own giving out his earlier experience of not getting a job. Well, he got the job because the Board appreciated his honesty.

But then it is only the Saints and English which seems to be doing the trick for getting jobs.

3. sasi

sasi Senior Member Senior Member

Re: Well off villagers shun free Hindi medium, send children Englishme

RTE also killing schools run by hindus!

But schools run by muslims-christians are free from RTE- clutches!

Ps- will modi sarkar do something to correct this discrimination? Just symbolism and words for hindus?

4. anupamsurey

anupamsurey Regular Member

this is same with all other regional languages, the villagers are actually intelligent in the sense that, why would they send their children to study something which the children's will not use in their future.
    I did my 10+2 in Hindi but i barely use it now a days so far so much that i haven't written a single word in Hindi for past 6 years.
    it is called as misguided priority why would the govt want to have a language which we wont use in our higher education.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  5. DingDong

DingDong Senior Member Senior Member

I think you never got a chance to visit a Police Station or a Local Court or a Government Office in Hindi Belt. All government work in Hindi Speaking states is documented and expedited in Hindi. Urban and Rural India are worlds apart. Local languages are still used in less privileged/developed parts of India, which includes Higher Education at less known Universities/Colleges including ITIs.

Government's priority is correct, it is trying to re-introduce Indian Languages in the Indian curriculum. Use of Local Languages won't hurt our higher education, but it will definitely hurt egos.

During my first year I felt like I was in an alien land because Language of Instruction was English. Many of my class-mates had similar experience, I (we) slept through several lectures. I have met people who cracked Engg., Medical and other competitive exams in Hindi Medium.

India is not confined to the four metros.

6. anupamsurey

anupamsurey Regular Member

then can you tell me why we have an alternative language in govt (its an ultimate waste). why do court verdict gets out in English.
    sure you can clear competitive exams in hindi, but can you tell me which college teaches MBBS, or Btech in hindi.........
    hindi is less significant in even govt arena...apart from delhi, UP, rajasthan, Bihar Uttrak, jharkhand, and MP no state gives priority to hindi
    hindi is a good language for communication in India, but doing higher studies in hindi for now is waste of time (not unless you belong to literary background), mostly because you have rampant use of alternative languages.
    if you want to give importance to hindi then scrap this english use...but that again will be a HR violation

7. DingDong

DingDong Senior Member Senior Member

This one line was sufficient to convince me that I am debating with an ...............

8. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Re: Well off villagers shun free Hindi medium, send kids English mediu

I don't think that would be an HR violation.

It would be merely putting the non Hindi people at a disadvantage, with Hindi speaking people taking all the jobs etc.

9. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Re: Well off villagers shun free Hindi medium, send kids English mediu

Firstly, it is not just about Hindi, but regional languages in general. Throughout the nation, it is a trend that the middle-class yuppie has a good command over English. There is a kind of "class divide" among those who speak English and those who don't.

Consider the following: there are two people who have passed their 12th standard. One of them speaks fluent English, reads novels, is up to date with latest Hollywood movies and trends. The other has studied in Kannada medium, cannot speak fluent English, watches only Kannada movies.

The former can get a job in a call center for Rs. 25000 per month, almost effortlessly. He can move up the ladder and become a "team lead", "ops manager", and so on. The other person, who has the same qualifications, can get a job as a driver, with limited scope for growth, and most importantly: with MUCH LESS social status than the call center chap.

Everyone has begun to realize that to live the aspirational middle-class life, English is a prerequisite. It may change later, but that is how it is at the moment.

Can't blame people for choosing English-medium.

DingDong likes this.