Welcome to Kerala Korner!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Could we have some you tube on the wonderful Keralite cuisine?

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
yeah how about some nice recipes, but please go easy on the spices, I use toilet paper.

Iamanidiot

@Brigadier

Nayakar,Naidu,Nair Nayak,Reddy are all military designations in the vijayanagara empire for warlords

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
@Brigadier

Nayakar,Naidu,Nair Nayak,Reddy are all military designations in the vijayanagara empire for warlords
That is interesting.

I have not yet met anyone with the name of Nair from Andhra.

Which part are they from?

I thought they are from Kerala.

In fact, once I was quite taken aback when a chap from Kerala said he was a Putter!

And we were on the golf course !!

Another time, a General was coming and I was the Food member and I was told to get the cook to make Aviyal. I thought that was some French dish!

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Let me not spoil the fun.

Please go ahead, now that the title has been changed.

S.A.T.A

i have been in kerala- kochi(cochin) -naval base for 6 yrs . Does that make me a mallu or malayalee?or simple plain Indian as always?
By the divine rights bestowed upon me by Sri Anantha Padmanabha Swamy i declare you a honorary Malayalee (thunder claps and blowing of conchs are heard in the background). Now rejoice in your good fortune...

SpArK

SORCERER
By the divine rights bestowed upon me by Sri Anantha Padmanabha Swamy i declare you a honorary Malayalee (thunder claps and blowing of conchs are heard in the background). Now rejoice in your good fortune...
Now give him some pattum valayum or some puttum kadalayum..

S.A.T.A

pattum valayum koduttha avan ende penn ayu povum,puttunu ari illa,Kadalekku kaay illa.........Padmanabha swamy rich annigulum,bhaktar poor aaneh!

SpArK

SORCERER
pattum valayum koduttha avan ende penn ayu povum,puttunu ari illa,Kadalekku kaay illa.........Padmanabha swamy rich annigulum,bhaktar poor aaneh!
You wont say it if u see the devotees who usually comes to Padmanabhaswamy temple..

The elites go there... while commoners go to Attukal, Srikandeshwaram, that hanuman temple near new secretariat etc..

2 ruppesinu ari koduthittu ari illenno.... ridiculous..

Iamanidiot

If I go to Kerala .I will go to Swamy Narayana Guru temple.real god among people

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Urumbe, Urumbe, evide ponu

Ana varimbol enducheyem

A part of a nursery rhyme that I had to learn to help a friend when I had to baby sit.

I can say the remainder, but then I am not too sure of the pronunciation in Roman Malayalee.

S.A.T.A

The antecedents of the Nair community goes well before the Vijayanagara empire,well into the period of the Chera empire of Kulashekaras of Mahodayapuram in the 9th century CE.Nairs may originally have been a warrior communtiy settled in the Tuluva desam and were probably invited by the Kulaseakaras to aide in their long drawn war of attrition against the powerful Chozas.The Nairs who are by tradition a warrior caste,whose entire adult life is devoted to learning the art of Kalaripayyttu(a style of hand to hand combat) proved decisive in the quest of the Kulashekaras to maintain independence from the Chozas.

The Nairs soon became the military and landed aristocracy of Keralam and after the demise of the Kulashekara dynasty in the 12th century CE,divided the country among themselves.Even though the royal family of Kerala bear the title 'Varma',indicating their status as rulers,they all are from the Nair community.Even Kerala's only Muslim ruled principality of Arakkal in kannur,headed by the Arakkal house, was of Nair origin and the right of succession followed the Marumakkathayam system(matrilineal descent).

Reactions: Ray

peacecracker

@Brigadier

Nairs will not be agreeing, I guess. :D
Nairs are particular to the region of west coast from tulunadu to kanyakumari. while in southern TN and Tulunad(Mangalore-udupi) Native Nairs are rare, I presume.
While another group called "Bunts"(also claims similar to Nair clan) are common in Kerala's northern border in Kasaragode district and Tulunad region. they may be related to Naidu or Reddy's. Nairs are native to Kerala only.

S.A.T.A

You wont say it if u see the devotees who usually comes to Padmanabhaswamy temple..

The elites go there... while commoners go to Attukal, Srikandeshwaram, that hanuman temple near new secretariat etc..

2 ruppesinu ari koduthittu ari illenno.... ridiculous..
2 ruppesinde ari ende patti polum chinnula,pavangale idu pole drohikkyammo. : )

Translation:Even my dog will refuse to eat the 'rice for two rupees',should somebody be tortured thus for the fault of being poor : )

Last edited:

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
2 ruppesinde ari ende patti polum chinnula,pavangale idu pole drohikkyammo. : )
2 roopede arikk entha kuzhappam ..mannum kallum ishtam polundallo..pinne puzhukkalum..aake kuzhappam vaayil vekkan kollillenneyullu

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I agree this is a Kerala Korner.

But why deprive us of the 'gems'?

We, or at least I, would like to benefit from some first hand information and anecdotes.

Iamanidiot

Can some Mallu explain Marumakkathayam system(matrilineal descent) in detail??:whistle:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles