We will return to Kashmir. Oh we will!

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by arnabmit, Oct 28, 2014.

1. arnabmit

arnabmit Homo Communis Indus Senior Member

By Rahul Pandita

I have been a visiting scholar at the University of Pennsylvania for the last two months. I have talked, among other things, about the Maoist insurgency, the recent Indian elections, David Foster Wallace, and the wretchedness of Delhi. But all of these conversations have had to go through the rite of passage of my exile. I carry my exodus from the Kashmir Valley defiantly, like the arm tattoo of a holocaust survivor: 04.04.1990.

There is no other way. There is no other way people will know about it; there is no other way people who know about it but ignore it will feel it rise like bile in their gullet. So I go on, my sleeves up, my scar visible.

I am like a mobile museum. I carry inside me names of my people who fell down in Kashmir, betrayed by their own neighbours and colleagues. I remember where they fell, how they fell. I remember the grammatology of the hate slogans; I have the crest and trough of its waves all measured up in their amplitude.

I can go on in different ways; I can traverse through decades, through centuries. I can begin from January 19, 1990. I can begin from 1986. I can begin from 1947. I can begin from the time when our ancestors would be tied up, back-to-back, in leather sacks and drowned in numbers so large that it created an island.

Recently, my friend Anupam Kher read a passage from my book at a Kashmir flood relief event in Delhi. I was in a train from Providence to New York when he called and told me about it. He said he had gone to help those who had lost their homes in the recent disaster. But he said he also wanted to remind the audience of those who lost their homes twenty-five years ago.

After I kept the phone down, I looked at the fall colours outside. It reminded me so much of autumn back home. It is at times like these that exile becomes heartache.

The whole event where Anupam spoke was telecast by Zee TV. But they chose to cut the portion where he had spoken about the pain of Kashmiri Pandits.

But that’s alright. We are used to it. We will fight our battle. We have been uprooted but we carry our soil with us. Wherever we go, Kashmir will come with us.

And then one day, when the murderers have long been hanged, we will ask the ostriches: “What do you think of yourself?”

Rahul Pandita is a journalist and author of Our Moon Has Blood Clots: The Exodus of the Kashmiri Pandits

Read Anupam Kher's interview on Zee TV censoring his speech- I was censored because I spoke about the plight of Kashmiri Pandits - Anupam Kher

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  3. arnabmit

[video=youtube_share;umFivySsFNc]http://youtu.be/umFivySsFNc[/video]

Srinivas_K and DingDong like this.
  4. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

When I read such things I am reminded of Ambrose Bierce, the American who joined the Mexican Revolution at age 70.

5. DingDong

DingDong Senior Member Senior Member

Kashmiri Pundits are not interested in any sort of "Revolution". They just wish to return back to their homes. These people have been forced to live like refugees in their own country.

6. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

My point has nothing to do with what the struggle is called.

7. arnabmit

Did you watch the video? The reading is in English.

8. gaurav96

gaurav96 Maverick

Article 370 bulls**t.. we should do what Pakistan has done.. change the demographics.. we invest thousands of crores of our money and we cant buy land instead they slaughter our own people... hope Modi changes this farce

9. Srinivas_K

Srinivas_K Senior Member Senior Member

Time for Pandits to return to their homelands !!

10. Simple_Guy

Simple_Guy Regular Member

They must vote BJP in the coming JK elections.