We were used as human shields in Latehar against Maoists

musalman

پاکستان زنده باد
Country flag
Adivasi villagers at Amvatikar have accused the CRPF of beating them and using them as shields as they were forced to search for security personnel's bodies in the Katiya forest in Latehar district on January 8. Eleven security personnel were killed in an encounter with Maoists a day earlier.

In an interview to The-Hindu on January 11, Vijay Turi (40), who survived the blast that killed four villagers, said the explosion took place when they tried to lift the body of Baijnath Kisku on the CRPF's instructions. It caused a three-foot deep pit. A scarf, broken slippers and scraps of cloth lay scattered on the slope of the Bhaluwahi hill at the edge of the adivasi hamlet.

Police officials initially said the blast was triggered by explosives planted under Kisku's body. They later said it was likely that Maoists had sewn the explosives inside the body, as they had done with CRPF's Babunath Patel's body. That bomb was detonated safely outside a hospital in Ranchi on January 10 after doctors, suspecting something was amiss when they noticed an incision on the body, called the police.

"Pramod Sau from Nawadih came at 10 a.m. and said the police would beat us if we did not help them look for the bodies," said Turi's nephew Binod Turi (18). "The police made us walk in three queues, men and women on both sides and the police at the centre. We spotted the body on the hill slope. The police stood with the villagers at the base of the hillock, 20 feet from the body. They asked six villagers in the front to walk ahead and lift the body.

"Suddenly there was a huge explosion. We ran. The police asked us to take cover with them, but the villagers were running. Some policemen then started hitting the men with their guns, sticks, boots, saying 'you shelter Maoists.' They put a gun to my stomach and made me sit there," he recounted.

On Friday morning, he and Turi's wife Asha packed a few bags of clothes and some grains and fled the village with Turi's two sons and several Adivasi families, fearing more violence.

Another villager, Suresh Parahaiya, said a CRPF man hit him in his forehead and leg when he ran in panic after the blast. "They beat us when we tried to run and made us sit there till 4 pm when two bodies were found and loaded on a tractor," said his wife Mano Devi.

"The policemen made us walk to the hill and then they held some men in the front by the back of their neck; they held a gun to Ganu, my niece's son," said Bimli Devi. Ganu (16) had walked a few steps up the Bhaluwahi hill and was bending over the jawan's body when the blast took place. Only the lower half of his body was recovered on Tuesday evening. He was the youngest among the four villagers who died.

"On Monday, we heard gunshots all day," said Rajkumar Bhuian (70). "My older son Jogeshwar asked his wife and five sons to leave for Manika town with my younger son Suneshwar. On Tuesday, I was in the forest grazing cow and found out only in the evening that the police had taken Jogeshwar to search for the bodies. I found only his gamchha (small towel), his chappal, and three ribs."

"They could not find my son Birendra's body on Tuesday," said Bihari Yadav. "When I went to the police station in Latehar, the policemen began beating me and calling me a Maoist before an officer intervened. On Wednesday I found only his limbs."

Pramod Sau, a shopkeeper from Nawadih who had helped the police gather villagers from Amvatikar, Nawadih, Chahal and also got two tractors from the village to carry the bodies, succumbed to his blast injuries in his face in Ranchi on Wednesday.

The mukhiya of the neighbouring Chungru panchayat, Baldev Parahiya, said he had agreed to help the police look for four bodies and arranged for three tractors on Tuesday morning, but requested that the villagers be allowed to go home after the explosion occurred.

IG (Operations) S.N. Pradhan could not be reached for his comments on Friday. In an interview to TheHindu on January 11, Mr. Pradhan denied the charge that the CRPF forced villagers to accompany them. "We often need the help of villagers to borrow cots to carry bodies back. Women and children sometimes accompany the men as they think this will ensure the men's safety," he said.

The Hindu : States / Other States : 'We were used as human shields in Latehar against Maoists'

t_co

Wow, I never knew Indian cops were quite this bad. This is the world's largest democracy here. Shouldn't they be trying to protect the citizenry?

Or maybe the villagers could have just avoided all that had they paid a bribe to the police captain...

Decklander

Wow, I never knew Indian cops were quite this bad. This is the world's largest democracy here. Shouldn't they be trying to protect the citizenry?

Or maybe the villagers could have just avoided all that had they paid a bribe to the police captain...
Pls read it carefully and understand what it means. CRPF asked them not to run and stop and sit down. That does not mean that they used them as cover to fire at any Maoist. There was no exchange of fire at that time so where is the question of using a human shield? The villagers were asked to sit down with use of force to avoid them setting off more mines which cud have been planted by these maoists. They always do it. Kill and than plant mines in the area to kill those who come to collect those bodies.

SPIEZ

Country flag

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
ISI has been exposed before assisting north east rebels.

t_co

Pls read it carefully and understand what it means. CRPF asked them not to run and stop and sit down. That does not mean that they used them as cover to fire at any Maoist. There was no exchange of fire at that time so where is the question of using a human shield? The villagers were asked to sit down with use of force to avoid them setting off more mines which cud have been planted by these maoists. They always do it. Kill and than plant mines in the area to kill those who come to collect those bodies.
So why do the police make the villagers move the bodies instead of taking that risk themselves?

"Pramod Sau from Nawadih came at 10 a.m. and said the police would beat us if we did not help them look for the bodies," said Turi's nephew Binod Turi (18). "The police made us walk in three queues, men and women on both sides and the police at the centre. We spotted the body on the hill slope. The police stood with the villagers at the base of the hillock, 20 feet from the body. They asked six villagers in the front to walk ahead and lift the body.
It's a mentality similar to when the Nazis would punish an entire village for partisan activity...

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
india should deal with these maoists soon.otherwise the problem may escalate too much

Novice

Forum rule says asking for a ban for someone on a thread is not allowed. I would still say BAN the people trying to defame Indian security forces using derogatory statement and sarcasm. INDIA IS NOT A COMMUNIST COUNTRY AND NOT A PUPPET OF COMMUNIST COUNTRY. Please channelize your thought process in a healthy conversation and not flare up internal security issues. Comparing CRPF to NAZIs is definitely deplorable and demands a strict action. Your comments and advice for India is not sought, advocated or welcome. :ban::ban::ban::ban::ban:

musalman

پاکستان زنده باد
Country flag
Forum rule says asking for a ban for someone on a thread is not allowed. I would still say BAN the people trying to defame Indian security forces using derogatory statement and sarcasm. INDIA IS NOT A COMMUNIST COUNTRY AND NOT A PUPPET OF COMMUNIST COUNTRY. Please channelize your thought process in a healthy conversation and not flare up internal security issues. Comparing CRPF to NAZIs is definitely deplorable and demands a strict action. Your comments and advice for India is not sought, advocated or welcome. :ban::ban::ban::ban::ban:
LOL Yeah !!!!!! ban every thing :p

Novice

LOL Yeah !!!!!! ban every thing :p
Oh No, We don't and will not do that. My objection was not towards you posting that thread but parallels drawn towards CRPF with SS force. Please try not to fend for something that is publicly objectionable and someone whose integrity is questionable.

t_co

:tsk:

No one here is calling the CRPF Nazis. The comparison was to the CRPF tactic of having villagers shield the police from danger, in some imagined form of collective punishment for the acts of a few partisans.

What's more, no one is trying defame the CRPF or Indian security forces, military, government, etc. To be fair, given the difficult circumstances in which they operate, mistakes, corruption, cowardice, and sheer incompetence are all perfectly understandable. But since India presents itself as a democratic nation built on a lofty combination of Western ideals of liberty and secularism, and uniquely Indian traditions of dharma, we must naturally hold India to a higher standard. India ought to be better, for the rhetoric she espouses.

India is not a nation like Pakistan, borne out of a desire to separate on the basis of communal identity. Nor is it a nation like China, borne out of the cold ruthlessness of forty million dead over thirty-eight consecutive years alternating between civil war and invasion.

India has her own destiny. Like all nations, she sometimes deviates from that path--as in the CPRF example cited above--and then it is the obligation of those who truly love her to set things right again.

Decklander

It is a normal practice for nearly all armies in the world to hire locals for doing the duty of a porter. These people get paid for it. removing dead bodies and taking them to the nearest road is the job for which these villagers are hired by CRPF. But these people must also be protected. It is for the first time that maoists have planted bombs within the deadbodies of killed soldiers. So the villagers became a target of those bombs. But maoists are known to watch and follow these search parties and target them again. With villagers running in all directions, they cud have become easy targets of these maoists. So force was used to make them follow the instructions of CRPF for their own safety.

It's a mentality similar to when the Nazis would punish an entire village for partisan activity...[/QUOTE]

Indian security forces have never done. These kind of activities are common only for Nazies, muslims and chinese.

t_co

It is a normal practice for nearly all armies in the world to hire locals for doing the duty of a porter. These people get paid for it. removing dead bodies and taking them to the nearest road is the job for which these villagers are hired by CRPF. But these people must also be protected. It is for the first time that maoists have planted bombs within the deadbodies of killed soldiers. So the villagers became a target of those bombs. But maoists are known to watch and follow these search parties and target them again. With villagers running in all directions, they cud have become easy targets of these maoists. So force was used to make them follow the instructions of CRPF for their own safety.

It's a mentality similar to when the Nazis would punish an entire village for partisan activity...
Indian security forces have never done. These kind of activities are common only for Nazies, muslims and chinese.
Sir, please read the quote I posted: it said the police were beating people if they didn't go and clear the dead bodies, and when they did clear them, the police stood well away from the locals who were doing the clearing. I never accused the CPRF of shooting up the village as a reprisal. I said the CPRF viewed the villagers as harboring Maoists without due process, and then deliberately forced them into danger to punish them.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles