We Need to Build a Class of Respectful Indians

TTCUSM

A couple of years ago, Mayank Maheshwari published an article in the Wall Street Journal about Indian mannerisms:

"Indians can never be good terrorists," argued Canadian comedian Russell Peters at one of his shows in New York City. "They don't hate Americans...they just hate each other!" For Indians like me sitting in the audience, Peters's observation struck an immediate chord. They broke out into hesitant chuckles, apprehensive whether it was just one or two of them who shared the somewhat controversial sentiment. Then, on realizing that everyone in the auditorium was chuckling, came the loud laughter.

It is a known fact among Indians and a common observation by visitors to the country that we Indians lack the manners which form the intricate fibers of any civilized society. Far from using words such as "thank you," "sorry" or "excuse me," there is a complete lack of respect for others' space or property. Road manners are non-existent, people are dirty in public places and there is a complete disregard for ethical, if not legally-enforceable, courtesies such as forming queues or tipping good servers. So much so that there are now counseling services in civic behavior and social manners recommended for Indian students and others migrating to countries like Australia or the U.K.

The first of these can be traced back to India's feudal history and its infamous caste system, where social hierarchy was given precedence over social equanimity. Isn't it a wonder, even today then, that a deep-pocketed customer talks down to a restaurant waiter who is perceived to be of a lower class? Or that the driver of an expensive car authoritatively claims it is the fault of the motorcyclist in an accident?

The concept of a singular and unified country is also very contemporary in India's biography. It was not until 1912, when Mahatma Gandhi joined the Indian freedom struggle against the British and introduced the idea of swaraj or self-rule that India awoke to the idea of oneness. Till then, the country was a jigsaw puzzle of thousands of tehsils, kingdoms and independent territories. Having such diverse sets of people crammed into a single country—it is any wonder—led to, and is still leading to, a missing sense of civility and harmonious living.

Finally, in a country with stark poverty and with the world's second largest population, there has always been a cultural push towards single-minded competitiveness, be it in schools, offices or homes. The development of softer skills and emotional intelligence has thus been sidelined in favor of building more tangible and marketable skills. After all, why develop a refined sense of table manners when it is really the ability to crunch accounting figures that will earn the high paycheck?

mki

A perfect analysis.

As an Indian I am agree with the article. Its up to us how and what to improve in over self. In our gujarati there is old saying "desh ne badalvo hoy to ghar thij sahruat karo". means if you want reform our country your fist step is reform your house.

warriorextreme

Country flag
We are inherently dirty people..we spit on road,we throw garbage on road, hell we even do daily ablutions on road..and then we boast of being the oldest continuous civilization on earth...What we need is teach our kids since kindergarten the importance of cleanliness and personal hygiene..
Kids will follow things they learned while adults will always act arrogant if they are told to stop spitting on road.

opesys

We are inherently dirty people..we spit on road,we throw garbage on road, hell we even do daily ablutions on road..and then we boast of being the oldest continuous civilization on earth...What we need is teach our kids since kindergarten the importance of cleanliness and personal hygiene..
Kids will follow things they learned while adults will always act arrogant if they are told to stop spitting on road.
I agree...I always wonder since when we became like this and what made us become like this ? And the biggest irony is Indians invented bathroom!

Not just about cleanliness as the author has pointed out we are not courteous to each other. Forget about basic manner like "thank you" "sorry", look at the way in India how the restaurant waiters are treated, how managers treat their employees especially in govt offices, how even auto rickshaw guys treat passengers...and all the time what I hear is we are the oldest civilization and we did great things 1000 years ago...

The parents focus only on teaching their kids about being nice to their family and that's it that is everything they need to learn and the kids don't even have any role models to learn from around them...all that nice people kids hear about is all on papers about freedom fighters...

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
And life goes on!

And Mani Shankar Aiyer is a heart throb!

Or that foghorn Narayanswami!

But then Rashid Alvi is soft spoken and polite, almost effeminate. Good example of the polite Indian!

I am not saying that what is written is wrong. We must take note and reform.

But I will not self flagellate since no race is perfect. Every race has some obnoxious habit that makes them uncivilised.

Don't get me wrong. I agree me must change, but there is no reason to self flagellate.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles