We Go Sri Lanka!

HeinzGud

Country flag
A midst the growing tension between Indian and Sri Lanka, I decided to post this wonderful video about Sri Lanka to let the steam off from our members. Hope you guys enjoy it. (P.S. Don't forget to check out the links posted on the video)

:namaste:

Last edited by a moderator:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
India and Sri Lanka: Trawling for trouble | The Economist

THE men untangling nets in Akkaraipettai harbour, in Tamil Nadu, southern India, know how to ease growing tension with Sri Lanka: scrap the international frontier. "You can't put a border on air, so how can you do it on water?" says the leader of a fishermen's union. In any case, trawlermen pay it little heed. Their frequent clashes with Sri Lanka's navy are part of a serious and widening quarrel between the neighbours.

Waters on the Indian side of the narrow Palk Strait are fished-out and polluted. So 600-800 trawlers venture daily to Sri Lanka. Fishermen in Akkaraipettai cheerily admit to trespass, and confess that some of them carry out destructive and illegal "bottom trawling". By dragging nets weighted with iron bars they wreck coral and other life on the seabed. Their defence: running a trawler for a week costs up to 70,000 rupees ($1,300) in diesel alone. To turn a profit they need the well-stocked waters across the strait, little fished during Sri Lanka's civil war, from 1983-2009.

Yet Indians are furious, too. A fisherman describes how, in March, a Sri Lankan naval vessel rammed his boat. Sailors then tied up him and eight crew, beat them and stole their catch. Others tell of thuggish naval sailors who smash boats and engines, spike fuel and break their bones.

The dispute should be solvable. A Sri Lankan official snorts of the Indian navy that "of course" it can stop Indian fishermen crossing. Meanwhile, the Sri Lankan navy could mend its rough ways. More likely, however, clashes will increase. Sri Lanka's Sinhalese-dominated government sees a long-term threat from Tamil Nadu.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Would it be a good idea to go with the state tourism or private tourism orgs? How much would be the visa? how costly would be lodging? any idea? I don't like star rated hotels... much prefer home-stay kind of arrangements.

A midst the growing tension between Indian and Sri Lanka, I decided to post this wonderful video about Sri Lanka to let the steam off from our members. Hope you guys enjoy it. (P.S. Don't forget to check out the links posted on the video)

:namaste:

HeinzGud

Country flag
Would it be a good idea to go with the state tourism or private tourism orgs? How much would be the visa? how costly would be lodging? any idea? I don't like star rated hotels... much prefer home-stay kind of arrangements.
Medium lodging cost around 50-150 USD per day
Lower lodging cost around 50 less per day

Well mate I do not know much about Visa... I'll try to hook someone who knows... cheers.

HeinzGud

Country flag
1974-1976 -section 5 of agreement agrees upon traditional rights of the Indian fisherman, which unfortunately includes fishing rights!!!

half-written story !!
this is not about kattchethivu........... this happens everywhere.

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
how do you sleep at night? Don't you hear the screams of innocent tamil children whom your barbarian government killed. Sri Lanka is built over the graves of thousands of innocent tamils :tsk:

HEILTAMIL

how do you sleep at night? Don't you hear the screams of innocent tamil children whom your barbarian government killed. Sri Lanka is built over the graves of thousands of innocent tamils :tsk:
the specific reply mentioned above was about 500 + dead Indian fishermen!!

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Probably the same way you slept peacefully at night when LTTE killed so many lankans.

Just like we see any Paki as a potential terrorist, Lankans might see any tamils as a potential terrorist.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Probably the same way you slept peacefully at night when LTTE killed so many lankans.

Just like we see any Paki as a potential terrorist, Lankans might see any tamils as a potential terrorist
Really ?:facepalm:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
1974-1976 -section 5 of agreement agrees upon traditional rights of the Indian fisherman, which unfortunately includes fishing rights!!!

half-written story !!
I noticed this quote in the article.

"You can't put a border on air, so how can you do it on water?" says the leader of a[n Indian] fishermen's union.
In fact there are enforceable international boundaries at sea.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Put yourself in their shoes, would seem logical.
If we put ourselves in their shoes, we would come as racist, chauvinistic, snobs who put sand on their heads with their discriminatory policies and then susbsequent rioting and arson that drove the tamilians to pick up arms.

Also putting myself in their shoes would mean me being a traiterous sob who took help from India and now is honeymooning with China.

So no thanks.

Anyway you guys continue the discussion. :)

Last edited:

Das ka das

Tihar Jail
Banned
If I put myself in their shoes, I would come as a racist, chauvinistic, slobs who put sand on their heads with their discriminatory policies and then susbsequent rioting and arson that drove the tamilians to pick up arms.

Also putting myself in their shoes would mean me being a traiterous sob who took help from India and now is honeymooning with China.

So no thanks.
India needs to take some action before SL becomes our Cuba. These Sinhalas should know that they are also Indians and what is good for India is good for them.

KS

Bye bye DFI
India needs to take some action before SL becomes our Cuba. These Sinhalas should know that they are also Indians and what is good for India is good for them.
:rofl:..tell that to a sinhala and he will spit on your face.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Definitely not. I was merely pointing out to perspectives and perceptions.

For us Indians, all sinhala people might get generalized as murderous maniacs because of the act of a few, similarly, for them all tamils might get generalized as terrorists because of LTTE.

We humans love to generalize, don't we?

so comments like this are not really apt:
"how do you sleep at night? Don't you hear the screams of innocent tamil children"

Moreover prompt will come the retaliation: "what about the creams of innocent sinhalese children killed by LTTE"

It's not like SL army kills for fun, its because they believe their actions to righteous. Again, perspectives & perceptions.

@KS no offence to tamils, I was merely pointing out the other side of the logic.

Tamils = Pakistanis ? :facepalm:

Das ka das

Tihar Jail
Banned
:rofl:..tell that to a sinhala and he will spit on your face.
I know that's why even though I hate the LTTE, I believe we need to teach these Ravanas a lesson or two on civility.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles