We are sorry for calling strikes in past, never again: Mamata Banerjee

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Yusuf, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

KOLKATA: Apologizing for calling strikes and shutdowns during her days as an opposition leader, West Bengal chief minister Mamata Banerjee Monday appealed to the masses to foil the industrial strike called on Feb 28 and assured that the government would take stringent action against those who tried to implement the strike forcefully.

"We (Trinamool Congress) had earlier done the same mistake by calling for strikes and shutdowns. We later realized that a problem cannot be solved by calling a strike. In the last two years, we have not called a single strike," said Banerjee in an interview that was telecast on three Bengali news channels.

"We committed a mistake and have rectified it. We think the people have forgiven us for our mistake. I appeal to the masses of my state not to respond to this strike. A strike will rob daily labourers of their earnings," said Banerjee.

While assuring the masses that the government had taken necessary steps to keep trains, trams and buses running, Banerjee accused the Left parties of calling the strike in order to prove their political mettle.

"If any government staff takes part in the strike, then the government will take steps. All government employees should attend their respective offices. The former Left Front government used to help in making the strike a success. But we will not do it," said Banerjee.

The government has also issued circulars barring government employees from taking leave on the day of the strike.

Eleven central trade unions, including INTUC, BMS, CITU, AITUC, UTUC, AIUTUC, HMS, TUCI and NLO will participate in the Feb 28 general shut-down, demanding steps for controlling the rise in prices of essential commodities and creation of more employment opportunities.

"This politics of shutdown and strikes have crippled the state for the last 35 years. When I am trying to usher development for the state, the opposition is trying to create problem," she said.

"If the pro-strike protestors try to implement the strike forcefully then the government will act accordingly in order to keep everything normal. Nobody should force the common people to participate in the strike," said Banerjee.

http://m.timesofindia.com/PDATOI/articleshow/12057835.cms

3. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

And when she goes back to the opposition, she will resort to strikes again.

4. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

Of course, why would you? Now you are in the government, aren't you?

5. nrj

nrj Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Then she will say "We were mistaken again" :lol:

6. Iamanidiot

Iamanidiot Elite Member Elite Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:.That is one of the best oxymorons i ever heard

7. p2prada

p2prada Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

A super duper hypocrite.

8. pankaj nema

pankaj nema Senior Member Senior Member

When Left was in power Mamta and Trinmool carried out the Singur and Nandigram protests
    and drove away the investors

Now the LEFT front will repay in the same coin and ultimately West Bengal's industrial development
    and educated people seeking employment will suffer

9. amoy

amoy Senior Member Senior Member

Once I heard the anchorman in a Taiwan talk show mocked a president candidate who had announced to quit politics repeatedly, to the effect: "Commoners never taste of death but once. Politicians die many times before their deaths"

But hats off to the CM, as in politics one shall always be ready to go back on her/his words and make 'corrections' again and again. Voters are normally forgetful. A flaw is she could have made the U turn a bit less abrupt.

10. pankaj nema

Bengalis outside Bengal are very touchy about the decline of Bengal and Calcutta

But they are not alone Biharis in the era of Laloo and Rabri ; used to dismiss all the news of lawlessness
    in Bihar as media created exaggerations

11. pankaj nema

Please Sir you just cannot equate Indian and Taiwanse politicians

The Indian politician is a unique species Shameless and Hypocrite

They oppose a policy while being in opposition to come in the limelight and to get political mileage
    out of it

But make a U turn while in power

And Indian politicians do not " die " before their deaths they just fade away or become irrelevant
    becuase of a new comer in their party

And they just love their chairs and their positions It is difficult to dislodge them :lol:

Mad Indian likes this.
  12. pmaitra

Who are you responding to? Who is this Laman?

13. pankaj nema

I dont like calling Lamanidiot as idiot so I am referring to him as Laman

what is wrong in it :rolleyes:

14. warriorextreme

warriorextreme Senior Member Senior Member

at least she accepted it...not many people do that once they get in power...now we have to see what she will do once she is in opposition again :p

15. pmaitra

Oh, well, that first letter is not L, it is I. Looks like L in lower case, but it is I (i) in upper case.

His name is I am an Idiot, but you can call him I am an if you don't want to call him idiot.

16. pmaitra

17. Mad Indian

Mad Indian Proud Bigot Veteran Member Senior Member

She should loot money during this term and then say she is mistaken and should say she will fight corruption..... Hypocrit

18. Sabir

Sabir DFI TEAM Senior Member

Mamata has learnd it from Buddhababu. He was very fond of accepting mistakes.

19. pmaitra

Jyoti Basu was much smarter. He would order police firing, and then cry in front of the press and express 'sorrow' for the dead. Mamata would clandestinely support even greater murder and mayhem, via the Maoists, and place the blame on CPI(M). Buddha was too honest, methinks, and his 'tit-for-tat' comments cost him dear.