We are in the process of repealing Article 370: MoS PMO Jitendra Singh

Vishwarupa

Country flag
New Delhi: It seems that the Narendra Modi Government has begun its first day with a controversy. The Minister of State in the Prime Minister's Office (PMO) Dr Jitendra Singh has said that the government is in the process of repealing the Article 370, which guarantees a special status to Jammu and Kashmir.
Speaking to the media after taking charge, Jitendra Singh said, "The process of repealing Article 370 has started. We are speaking to all stakeholders. The BJP has won more than half of the seats from Jammu and Kashmir. So will you interpret is as an endorsement of BJP's stand on the Article 370? It is more like a psychological barrier."
Jitendra Singh is a Lok Sabha member from Udhampur in Jammu and Kashmir.
The repealing of Article 370 of the Constitution has been a poll promise of the BJP. The BJP has been opposing the special status for Jammu and Kashmir for a long time. It had earlier claimed that it could not repeal Article 370 during the Vajpayee government due to lack of majority.
Dealing with Article 370 in the chapter on Jammu and Kashmir, the BJP manifesto said, "The BJP reiterates its stand on the Constitution provision and will discuss this with all stakeholders and remains committed to the abrogation of this article."
The return of the Kashmiri Pandits to the land of their ancestors with full dignity, security and assured livelihood will figure high on the BJP's agenda, it said.
If the government goes ahead with the process of repealing the contentious Article 370, it can even snowball into a huge controversy. Both Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah and his father Dr Farooq Abdullah have opposed any such move.

We are in the process of repealing Article 370: MoS PMO Jitendra Singh - IBNLive

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned
Re: We are in the process of repealing Article 370: MoS PMO Jitendra S

Is it for real ?
@Ray Sir...is it really happening or, BJP just testing the waters..?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador

Is it for real ?
@Ray Sir...is it really happening or, BJP just testing the waters..?
Modi, the hawk testing waters!

Meeting Nawaz Sharif and raising the issue of article 370!! Clever move!

Last edited by a moderator:

Free Karma

PTI says it slightly differently
[tweet]471209063410180096[/tweet]

CNN-IBN reported as already in the process! Also the link to the ibn article is now not working..

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned

Modi, the hawk testing waters!

Meeting Nawaz Sharif and raising the issue of article 370!! Clever move!
Is it just for scoring brownie points & appeasing the right-wingers, or he is going to do it ? He the full mandate to go ahead with it. But, I do not think this is on his list of priorities in his first-term.

pankaj nema

Country flag

With respect to Jammu and Kashmir
Their first priority should be resettlement of Kashmiri Pandits

lion

What i want is the rehabilitation of Kashimiri pandits with full dignity and security like never before.

Let's see...

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador

Is it just for scoring brownie points & appeasing the right-wingers, or he is going to do it ? He the full mandate to go ahead with it. But, I do not think this is on his list of priorities in his first-term.
I think it has to be approved by J&K assembly first. So, it is just about testing waters.

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned

I think it has to be approved by J&K assembly first. So, it is just about testing waters.
What is the composition of J&K assembly ? I doubt, it has proportional representation of people other than Kashmiri Sunni's.
If what you are saying is correct, then any attempt at repealing the act is destined to be nipped in bud, ain't it ?

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador

What is the composition of J&K assembly ? I doubt, it has proportional representation of people other than Kashmiri Sunni's.
If what you are saying is correct, then any attempt at repealing the act is destined to be nipped in bud, ain't it ?
It is such a pain to get any data from government websites! I tried but could not retrieve the assembly data to see if BJP could have won enough assembly seats.

BJP won 3 out of 6 and Leh is a small constituency so I would expect <50% seats in the assembly. So, it would not be taken forward unless Modi finds a new way to override state's powers.

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned

It is such a pain to get any data from government websites! I tried but could not retrieve the assembly data to see if BJP could have won enough assembly seats.

BJP won 3 out of 6 and Leh is a small constituency so I would expect <50% seats in the assembly. So, it would not be taken forward unless Modi finds a new way to override state's powers.
Yeah, & since Modi already knows this, this topic becomes quite boring.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag

Simple_Guy

Jitendra talks of debate on Art 370

57-year-old Singh, who was elected from Udhampur Lok Sabha seat, said BJP was working "very professionally" on this issue and has been calling meetings in the Kashmir Valley. "We have succeeded in convincing some of them (on repealing Article 370)," he told reporters after taking over as Minister for State for Department of Personnel and Training.

Singh, a doctor by profession, noted that BJP has won half of the six Lok Sabha seats from Jammu and Kashmir. "You see BJP has won half of the seats in Parliament from J and K. While BJP won three seats, PDP bagged the remaining three. If you take voter account, we have more that 50 per cent vote share."

prohumanity

Country flag

Some of you don't understand BJP folks....they don''t talk for the sake of talking...they have strong, nationalistic convictions and are courageous enough to take the risk to achieve what they decide to achieve ,if this is in the interest of the nation.
Modi, Rajnath Singh are the kind of people who would even sacrifice their own life if that's what saves India. They are different...it will take some time for many people to understand as they are so used to hypocritical, selfish and opportunistic politicians for last 10 years.
As for article 370, this should have been abolished decades ago. Uniform civil code , just like in US and most other european nations..must be implemented in India. BJP has been consistent on many such issues for last 60 years but did not get the chance to act on these due to not being in the govt. Watch these dedicated, new breed of Indian leaders..you will be pleasantly surprised.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles