We are giving too much importance to Pakistan: Rahul

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by 1.44, Oct 14, 2009.

1. 1.44

1.44 Member of The Month SEPTEMBER 2009 Senior Member

We are giving too much importance to Pakistan: Rahul

Shimla, Oct 13 (IANS) Pakistan doesn't deserve 'half the importance' it was being given in India, Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi said Tuesday while stressing that the two countries could not be compared.
    'We are giving too much importance to Pakistan. It is just a small piece of land. India can't be compared with Pakistan,' Gandhi told reporters here.
    He was on a day-long visit to the hill state to woo students for the party's student wing - the National Students Union of India (NSUI).
    'Pakistan's internal issues do affect us, but we are giving too much time and importance to Pakistan in our minds. To my mind, it deserves not half the importance we are giving it.
    'If you see, the attitude of the world has changed towards Pakistan. It's not a one day job. It's a long process. India has created pressure (on it) and the entire world is putting pressure on Pakistan. Certain issues related to Pakistan have to be managed, which is already being done. We are on a comfortable position. There is no comparison between India and Pakistan.'
    Taking a dig at opposition parties, particularly the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), he said: 'It has 1,000 year old ideology. They are just talking about Jinnah (Pakistan's founder Mohammed Ali Jinnah), which is history now. I can't think about Jinnah even for five seconds... not for one second.
    'The BJP's 'India Shining' slogan was outrightly rejected during the 2004 general elections. India was shining only in urban areas and that too within the elite class.'
    Dressed casually in a blue half-sleeve shirt and trousers, he said: 'We believe in the ideology of uplift of the poor and the downtrodden.'
    He brushed aside criticism about his visits to villages, saying they were intended to get first-hand information about the progress the country has made.
    Gandhi admitted that the doors of political parties, be it the Congress, the BJP or any other, were not as open to youngsters as they should be.
    'My effort is just to do that. The youth wants to know what we are going to give them in the years to come.'
    The Congress leader said his main job was to bring more democracy in the frontal organisations of the party, the Youth Congress and the NSUI.
    'My effort is to have all elected people in these two organisations ultimately. No nominations in future. But it will take some time... the process is on and we have already done it in four states for the Youth Congress,' he said.
    Rahul later interacted with students at the Himachal Pradesh University here.

We are giving too much importance to Pakistan: Rahul - Yahoo! India News

3. ahmedsid

ahmedsid Top Gun Senior Member

Very true, This chap spoke my mind, We go on and on about Pakistan, and Now recently, even Jinnah. It has become something of a fashion statement to make such statements.

I admire Rahul, Just like Shatrugnan sinha told the other day, Watch out for Rahul Gandhi!

4. natarajan

natarajan Senior Member Senior Member

ahmed
    still the society believes him ,this statements can be made by laymen or me or even you, we are slowly shifting our focus on china ,then let him answer that
    the same piece of land is bleeding us (26/11) and why goi cant do anything other than sending million pages of dossier?
    so pakistan is not just a piece of land but a nuclear nation with super powers(usa and china) as allies

5. ahmedsid

ahmedsid Top Gun Senior Member

When will you learn realpolitik Rajan!! I mean, all of you Pak fans out there bring in the 26/11 and Precision Strike whenever a leader makes a statement like this!!

What would you have achieved with the Strike in Pakistan after 26/11??? I am tired of telling you all of how it would have become one to fight a war with India and Not keep fighting within itselves like it is doing now!!!

USA as an ally? You bet!! I pray the USA is the Pak ally for a long time to come, They are so much of allies that, that they plan every other day simulations to take over Pak Nuke arms!! Not to forget blackwater guys and others in town! If you find Pakistans relations with USA worth looking at with Jealous eyes, I suggest get an eye check up! :D Coz the US is ruining Pakistan, and Paks know it well, and are resigned to the fate!

About China and Pak. Just think, is China making any "Real" Investments in Pak other than something thats good for them and not Pak? They are flooding Pak market with their goods, and ruining the local market with this so called Ally tag!!! Have the Chinese given Pakistan any weapon worth having other than the JF17s and Some tub frigates???

Lastly I suggest, you do a lot more of reading on 26/11, and Realpolitik :) It would help in making you look a lot more smarter.

6. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

So well said, and then we keep wondering why pakistanis keep comparing themselves with us, when as a matter of fact it is us who have not got over with our obsession for Pakistan, it is high time we moved on and left Pakistan aside. The more one is to think about Pakistan, higher the chances that we will set our targets at much lower levels than they can be, which is bound to effect our achievements.

I very strongly believe media will have to play a very decisive role here and we need to move our focus on to the economic development that china is doing and we should aim to out do them in more fields than one and the country needs to work on certain targets where in we try to out do people who are ahead of us, and need to gallop past all these people fast enough.

I have followed Chinese for quite some time, they discuss India but their main focus has always been to over take the Japanese and the Americans economically, its more like a national obsessions. At times I wonder had India and china not been neighbors would they have even bothered about us, damn no, rarely will you find a Chinese talking about brazil, half of them wont even know where brazil is located. This is where is gets so important that we take challenges to out do guys above us rather than be happy in our imaginary world thinking of the guys who are hardly a match to us like Pakistan.

One thing I have liked about rahul, has been the cause of “bharat” that he stands for, unlike may other who are too focused on “India”. If India has to stride forward it is bharat which has to be made to move forward on its own than on crutches provided by the central government, and it is good to see him work in that direction.

7. nitesh

nitesh Mob Control Manager Stars and Ambassadors

I agree with ritesh on media role, but isn't media going in right direction. I mean I had seen a very minor coverage on Rawalpindi attack and subsequent attack at least substantial reduction from previous coverage. But isn't Pakistan discussion come only when cricket match is there ot some terror related talk is going on becasue terrorism and Pakistan are indispensable :D other wise it is an insignificant county

8. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

Tend to agree with you nitesh, but still we give way too much air time coverage to Pakistan which is certainly not required. How much do we need to cover terror attacks in Pakistan, remember when that attack on the sri lankan team took place, everyone was like, now the Taliban are going to come to India, have they, certainly not, which quite literally suggests that people tend to sensationalise an issue, sell their product and this product is absolutely worthless.

Media plays a very important role in nation building, they need to highlight the good and the bad, the achievers who can be an inspiration for the nation, and more than half the air time we give to the nonsense happening in Pakistan needs to be given on issues which will make us excel.

ToI, tried its hand at it but they miserably failed since they got too obsessed with the word “super power”, though I appreciate they at least did it which was quickly followed by the hindustan times, and it is these things that we need to discuss more and it is good to see the change coming but still it happens in patches, and it is these things that are important than what a certain general does in Pakistan or a Talibani does.

Now think about it, should the national obsession be to out do the Chinese in the economic field and some day over take the Americans or be to discuss the terror attacks in pakistan, the day we start doing the former and more importantly the day media gives importance to all these issues, no politician will dare raise his voice and ask votes in the name of caste, religion, region, etc.

Addressing the above I have just taken in view the English main stream media and certainly not the hindi media, where the story is still quite sad.

9. S.A.T.A

S.A.T.A Senior Member Senior Member

Rahul baba can be rest assured that if and when he becomes the PM,a great part of his foreign policy quality time will spent on the Pakistan question and Rahul will see the irony in hind sight.

Get real people that piece of land with 150 odd million people was(and hope will become in the future)our piece of land and our people,who at the moment are in an ideological and existential drift.We are obsessed because they are our kinsmen(even if there are elements there and here that decline to think so)and it is important that Indian society and its media help the Pakistani people defeat the forces who seek to impose anti-Indic values in this largely Indian society.

When Kautilya went to Dhananada seeking Magadhan imperial assistance against the Macedonian invasion of Indus basin,Nanda said it was not our problem,Kautilya thought their problem was our problem.History has shown us how right was kautilya and Nanda so wrong.

I hope Indian History isn't Rahul Gandhi's least favorite subject,because he will have a lot to learn from it, if he is to lead this country.

Scorpion likes this.
  10. Chota

Chota Regular Member

Well said ..the day we stop comparing ourselves with our neighbours and raise our sights ..that's the day we are paving our way to become a meaningful international player..Till that time we are in the small pond called south asia amid the croaking frogs

11. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

Importance is given because terrorism against India is emanating from that land not because of achievements of Pakistan in economy, education or infrastructure which are anything but dismal.

12. praneetbajpaie

praneetbajpaie Tihar Jail Banned

The only statement coming from this idiot's mouth that I agree with. Treat a parasite like a parasite, remove it or just ignore it.

13. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

Unfortunately, you cannot ignore a parasite or a cancer. It will keep growing if not attended to and will eventually cause the death of the person. The only solution is its removal.

Kunal Biswas likes this.
  14. Kunal Biswas

Kunal Biswas Member of the Year 2011 Moderator

When he said those words he was correct there, One need to understand his position and his concerns, Back then he was Right and even now he is right regarding this statement..

One need to talk less and take action, Action decide fate and can be counted not words, Words involve emotion and cant be taken as granted..

Today we stand strong coz only because we have taken actions, Action which define us..

15. rock127

rock127 Maulana Rockullah Senior Member

Why is he called as Rahul? His name on passport is Raul Vinci, isnt it?

On topic... Raul Vinci is trying to get popular by using "Pakistan". We can't ignore Pakistan since its continuesly working hard to destabalize India.

Kunal Biswas likes this.
  16. Bhadra

Bhadra Defence Professionals Defence Professionals Senior Member

You are right. Let us do something about them rather than outshout the Pakistanies. Thrash them at the slightest pretext.

Kunal Biswas likes this.
  17. Kunal Biswas

Kunal Biswas Member of the Year 2011 Moderator

This is very Old thread of 2009..

Pakistan have a long way to go and we have better work to do like upgrading our Military and enhancing our economy and killing social problems..

18. roma

roma NRI in Europe Senior Member

Is pakistan indeed a small piece of land ?? what is he talking about ??

Pakistan is 881,000 km sq compared to India's 3,100,100 ( approx ) which is about 28.4% i.e almost 30 % so is that " SMALL"

as a potential senior leader this gentleman has to be more accurate with his worlds , surely

some people on this forum consider him to be a " disaster" .... thus far not me

perhaps this is just the beginning .

19. roma

roma NRI in Europe Senior Member

Ahmed .....im no fan of pak ....in fact id rather any day be a fan of yours !! :wave:

while pak should be put in perspective , point is they still do have some major weaponry ... Raul or vinci has to be a bit more specific in what he mean otherwise it is too open to interpretation and the at is no the mark of a real leader

he sounded more like an unschooled village leader that the potential leader of more than a billion people , nor even a consultant from the management firm ( McKinsey ?) that he is supposed to have been

20. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Rahul Gandhi shows his incapability to understand geopolitics when he thinks Pakistan is a small piece of land!

If it were such an inconsequent piece of land, how come even in his grandmother's time it took so much of attention and caused the 1971 War?

What a total fool!

parijataka likes this.
  21. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Sakal Gharelu Ustad Detests Jholawalas Moderator

We are giving too much importance to Raul Vinci!!

jackprince and parijataka like this.