Water row brews, this time over Farakka

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Water row brews, this time over Farakka

KOLKATA: [Five months after she pulled out of the Dhaka visit burying all possibilities of PM Manmohan Singh signing the proposed Teesta agreement, chief minister Mamata Banerjee has hit out at the Centre yet again over sharing of water between India and Bangladesh. This time, however, her grouse is over the existing Farakka water treaty./B]

In a letter to the PM, the Bengal chief minister has pointed out that the Centre's apathy in repairing two damaged sluice gates of the Farakka Barrage has led to release of Ganga water to Bangladesh much above what the neighbour is entitled to during dry season. Mamata held that a total 82,801 cusecs of water has been draining out of Farakka because of the damaged sluice gates, when the Murshidabad district administration's report points out that Bangladesh is only supposed to get 35,000 cusecs as per the Ganga water-sharing pact signed with Bangladesh in 1996. Late chief minister Jyoti Basu had played an important role in the signing of that accord.

The CM is also miffed over the Centre's silence on the damage. Officials said the Union water resources ministry had not even intimated the state about the problem. It learnt of the matter following reports that the NTPC power plant at Farakka can't function at its optimum because of inadequate water.

The CM's letter comes two days before Union water resources minister Pawan Bansal is scheduled to share the dais with the CM during the inauguration of a Rs 653-crore irrigation project in East Midnapore.

While Bansal said on Wednesday that the repair work will be completed by February 22, state irrigation minister Manas Bhunia said it would take the entire month.

Water row brews, this time over Farakka - The Times of India

Is Mamata Bannerjee totally wrong to get miffed?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Bhagirathi may dry up, warns report

KOLKATA: According to political observers, Mamata is trying to build up a fresh case against the Centre and the Congress that enjoys a strong support base in the district. This is one issue that the CM has picked up to silence her political adversaries in the Congress and also take on the Left that pioneered the Ganga water-sharing treaty when Jyoti Basu was the CM.

In order to substantiate her claim, the CM has enclosed in her letter the district administration's report giving details of the excess release. The report also says that the feeder canal which supplies water to the Bhagirathi river should get at least 40,000 cusecs, but is only getting 20,000 cusecs because of water being channelized to the Padma (in Bangladesh). The report has warned of imminent drying of the river which will reduce generation from the NTPC's Farakka generating plant to around 150 MW a day.

Stating that the water level of the Bhagirathi has fallen considerably, the report says, "The water level should remain at 72 ft inside the barrage, but has fallen to 65.8 ft currently."

Bhagirathi may dry up, warns report - The Times of India
If Bhagirathi dries up, then it is curtains for the lower reaches of the Indo Gangetic plain, mainly Bengal.

Yet, one has to also worry about India's relationship with Bangladesh.

What is the solution?

pmaitra

If Bhagirathi dries up, then it is curtains for the lower reaches of the Indo Gangetic plain, mainly Bengal.

Yet, one has to also worry about India's relationship with Bangladesh.

What is the solution?
I had to wade in waist deep water on M. G. Road on my way to College Street from Sealdah. If such situations can be averted, I'd let all the water go into Bangladesh. I really don't care. Of course, we need to care for the farmers and their crops. Why not invest in reservoirs and the river-linking project instead of getting miffed? Indo-Bangla water sharing has to be under the aegis of international laws, not the whims of Mamata. I am sure MMS government was going by those laws. Correct me if I am wrong.

parijataka

Country flag
I support Mamata didi on this issue as well as Teesta where she did not allow additional water to be let to BD, otherwise find her a hysterical and emotional woman. During MMS recent BD visit Assam land was gifted to BD. With Congi central govt continuing Nehru's idiotic legacy and Congi state govt in Assam it was possible. I dont like to support regional parties generally, but in Teesta case I must say Didi stood up for our fellow Indians in Poschimo Bongo.

pmaitra

I support Mamata didi on this issue as well as Teesta where she did not allow additional water to be let to BD, otherwise find her a hysterical and emotional woman. During MMS recent BD visit Assam land was gifted to BD. With Congi central govt continuing Nehru's idiotic legacy and Congi state govt in Assam it was possible. I dont like to support regional parties generally, but in Teesta case I must say Didi stood up for our fellow Indians in Poschimo Bongo.
She often stands up for the wrong people, much to the misfortune of fellow Indians [sic.].

See this [graphic]: GOURANGA CHATTERJEE: THIRD ARREST IN GYANESHWARI TRAIN ACCIDENT

parijataka

Country flag

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I had to wade in waist deep water on M. G. Road on my way to College Street from Sealdah. If such situations can be averted, I'd let all the water go into Bangladesh. I really don't care. Of course, we need to care for the farmers and their crops. Why not invest in reservoirs and the river-linking project instead of getting miffed? Indo-Bangla water sharing has to be under the aegis of international laws, not the whims of Mamata. I am sure MMS government was going by those laws. Correct me if I am wrong.
To be frank, the fault for flooding is because of Dr BC Roy and then every CM.

Dr Roy built Salt Lake township at the expense of the natural drainage of flood waters into the Eastern catchment area.

Thereafter, all chased the golden goose i.e. real estate and the goose Kolkata died!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Mamata Bannerjee is a cosmetic person.

But as far as the waters is concerned, she is spot on!

pmaitra

To be frank, the fault for flooding is because of Dr BC Roy and then every CM.

Dr Roy built Salt Lake township at the expense of the natural drainage of flood waters into the Eastern catchment area.

Thereafter, all chased the golden goose i.e. real estate and the goose Kolkata died!
Didn't think of it that way. I see what you are saying. That was indeed an unplanned expansion and lack of foresight. Now, Kolkata needs a lot of investment only for handling the flood waters.

I have been in floods twice, once in Kolkata and once in Mumbai. I must say, it is not a pleasant experience.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Didn't think of it that way. I see what you are saying. That was indeed an unplanned expansion and lack of foresight. Now, Kolkata needs a lot of investment only for handling the flood waters.

I have been in floods twice, once in Kolkata and once in Mumbai. I must say, it is not a pleasant experience.
Cant blame you.

You are the modern generation.

I have been watching India grow with its ecstasies, dreams and sorrows!

You all are seeing the good things of life and so you are all ever so excited and your disappointment is even greater.

My generation has enjoyed the rags to riches phenomenon of India and also watched its stupidity to reach modernity without thought and planning.

But then it is natural.

I used to laugh when my parents' generation talked about a maund of rice for four annas!

Global Defence

New threads

Articles