Was Lord Buddha a beef eater?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
How does it matter what Buddha ate?

Buddhist cannot kill.

In Bhutan, I have seen Bhutan people pushing yaks off the cliff and then cutting it up for meat and drying the meat and making strips of the meat. IIRC, they call it satchu.

It's notably lower in calories than beef and has fewer saturated fats, cholesterol, triglycerides, and palmitic acid. It's also higher than beef in protein and stearic and oleic acids, which promote good health. The healthy qualities of the meat, moreover, persist in half-yak crosses with cattle.

If they find it OK, then who the hell is the world to tell them what to do?

Last edited:

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
I assume you are also a Buddhist. How do your people justify eating meat (Living in the cold and harsh mountains rather than the plains), according to Buddhism of course.

I know what you mean.. Nirvana Sutra infact encourages people to avoid non-veg.

In fact our revered gurus like Chagme Rinpoche, Jigme Gyalwai Nyugu, Patrul Rinpoche and Pema Thangton among many other Elders, have always advocated vegetarianism and abstention from intoxication or cravings for non-veg.

However, being in a region which is one of the harshest, coldest and highest in the world with limited agriculture, the only way to survive has been limited meat with as much vegetation as possible.

I cannot say much on the depth of how our Vajrayana beliefs evolved when it comes to meat eating, however one thing is for sure; if we had as much vegetation in the upper areas of our region including Tibet, no one would have eaten meat.

Which is why ordained monks don't eat meat due to their practise. However, common people do eat meat.

Let's juse say that not every lama or Sikkimese or Ladakhi or Arunachali is enlightened, capable and master of tantric or yogic or meditational practises of generating heat and warmth through these skills. :lol:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I have lived in places far colder than your State. I landed in Canada at -28 degree celsius temperature. Yes fat is needed in cold climate. However butter and vegetable oil can be used for fat. Meat is NOT necessary.
And I have lived in colder areas that you.

-50 degree, not counting the wind chill factor.

I am no medicine man, but meat did give a warm glow.

Have you wondered why cold climate areas have meat as their staple of sorts?

Have you wondered why Kashmiri Pandits have meat in their cuisine?

Funny right?

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
And I have lived in colder areas that you.

-50 degree, not counting the wind chill factor.

I am no medicine man, but meat did give a warm glow.

Have you wondered why cold climate areas have meat as their staple of sorts?

Have you wondered why Kashmiri Pandits have meat in their cuisine?

Funny right?
Why live in very cold places?? There is no need. Humans tend to live in places where farming is possible. The so called non-vegetarians also eat mostly vegetarian food.

We friends used to live in one apartment in Delhi where 2 were vegetarians and 2 were non-vegetarians. The non-vegetarian ate meat a few times a months - like 4-5 times. Does anybody think 4-5 non-veg meals a month will make any difference to nutrition??

Meat is very expensive compared to vege foods. It is eaten for prestige rather than energy content.
Why live in a hot area and then run to the hills during summer? There is no need.

Non vegetarians does not mean only eating meat. It means a balanced diet. Even so called 'vegetarians' proudly acclaim that they are 'eggitrarians'.

Its all about health.

You can bet your bottom dollar that a 'balanced diet' of vegetables, fruits and animal and vegetable proteins works wonders.

Vikramjeet

All said and done ... but Budhist all around the globe including in India do eat all sorts of meat including beef... so it may be "sutta" or "pittakka" is immaterial... all exotic sea food is presented by Thai Buddhists sold in their exotic and open markets to be relished and devoured..

Matter is a matter of importance for following Madhya marga - not in discarding it but in consuming it..
Buddhists do eat meat heavily,yes that is a fact. When it comes to strict rules, only Jainism is laudable, Hinduism and Buddhism both have stupid and double standards on the issue. No wonder that areas affected by Jainism like Gujrat are more vegetarian than places like Tamil Nadu or even Bihar.

Vikramjeet

In fact our revered gurus like Chagme Rinpoche, Jigme Gyalwai Nyugu, Patrul Rinpoche and Pema Thangton among many other Elders, have always advocated vegetarianism and abstention from intoxication or cravings for non-veg.

However, being in a region which is one of the harshest, coldest and highest in the world with limited agriculture, the only way to survive has been limited meat with as much vegetation as possible.

I cannot say much on the depth of how our Vajrayana beliefs evolved when it comes to meat eating, however one thing is for sure; if we had as much vegetation in the upper areas of our region including Tibet, no one would have eaten meat.

Which is why ordained monks don't eat meat due to their practise. However, common people do eat meat.

Let's juse say that not every lama or Sikkimese or Ladakhi or Arunachali is enlightened, capable and master of tantric or yogic or meditational practises of generating heat and warmth through these skills. :lol:
Yes I agree with you that if Himalyan regions were not harsh, maybe meat eating was not that pervasive but it is also a fact that even Buddhists living in plains do eat meat and much heavily than Hindus. That one should not eat meat is basically a Vaishnavite innovation, copied by jains under Mahavira and then by Buddha. Even today, largest number of vegetarians are in Jain-Vaishnav dominated areas like Braj, Marwar, Gujrat, Malwa etc. Upper castes of rest of India are meat eaters, particularly Bengali brahmins who can not do without fish.

Vikramjeet

Sir I have quoted a well reputed source ... that is all about it.

Mr Dharampal the founder of the cow save movement and spent his life for that cause also says that.

OK, May I ask you why Hindus sell their cows when she is old and infirm? Does one sell his / her mother when she is old and non fertiliser ?

What a plight of that "mother" in the streets of the cities and the towns ? Hindus just abandon her when she no longer delivers milk to be sold in the market ? or just to eat paper and plastic or etc..

Do Muslims in India breed cows to be slaughtered and then sold in Arab markets...

Hypocrisy of highest order....
This is a moral problem and is not relevant to discussion. If Dharampal the Gandhian wants to call Aurangzeb as 'cow protector' he is free to do so. Evidence would show him as fool. As for abandoned cows, the problem is like old age homes. Yes, people who send their parents to those centres are despicable but a people who slaughter them are even more.
Marrying a foreigner was considered highly condemnible act in pre British India , if likes of Dharampal can marry a white woman due to their 'modern outlook', why they wonder that Hindus are losing traditional values?

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
My father is a pure vegetarian, and the only meals who could eat in East Asia in the past were in Buddhist temples.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
My father is a pure vegetarian, and the only meals who could eat in East Asia in the past were in Buddhist temples.
A lot of my Sikhh friends' parents adopt vegetarianism & satvic lifestyle as they grow older, is it a religious thing or cultural to Punjabis?

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
A lot of my Sikhh friends' parents adopt vegetarianism & satvic lifestyle as they grow older, is it a religious thing or cultural to Punjabis?
I have seen this too in some families. You have to be a teetotaler and vegetarian post baptism/amrit.

My father has been a veggie and teetotaler since his teens and I have been a hardcore meat and daaru kinda guy since my teens.

mayfair

I have seen this too in some families. You have to be a teetotaler and vegetarian
I knew quite a few folks and their families in Delhi who were like that. But then they were associated with the Radha Swami Satsang.

HeinzGud

Country flag
Buddhists do eat meat heavily,yes that is a fact. When it comes to strict rules, only Jainism is laudable, Hinduism and Buddhism both have stupid and double standards on the issue. No wonder that areas affected by Jainism like Gujrat are more vegetarian than places like Tamil Nadu or even Bihar.
Buddhism is not making in double standard in meat eating. Buddha did not prohibit anyone from eating meat. The choice is with the concerned individual.

HeinzGud

Country flag

The effort of these ordained monks must be praised. Where in Sri Lanka many monks eat meat giving stupid excuses.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
I have seen this too in some families. You have to be a teetotaler and vegetarian post baptism/amrit.

My father has been a veggie and teetotaler since his teens and I have been a hardcore meat and daaru kinda guy since my teens.
I knew a Sikhni (very young, fresh out of college, surname Dhillon) who was a teetotaler to the extent that she wouldn't even eat dairy products. No cheese, no milk, no paneer. Certainly no eggs, and definitely no meat. She refused to travel onsite to the client site for fear of not finding pure satvic food in Germany. It caused quite a furor, and I was asked why she should not be fired, or at least be moved out of consulting and into product development/R&D.

Was quite a revelation to me that such hardcore Satvics exist in Sikhs.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I knew a Sikhni (very young, fresh out of college, surname Dhillon) who was a teetotaler to the extent that she wouldn't even eat dairy products. No cheese, no milk, no paneer. Certainly no eggs, and definitely no meat. She refused to travel onsite to the client site for fear of not finding pure satvic food in Germany. It caused quite a furor, and I was asked why she should not be fired, or at least be moved out of consulting and into product development/R&D.

Was quite a revelation to me that such hardcore Satvics exist in Sikhs.
Dairy restriction that is a first. Could be lactose intolerance ?

And refusing to go abroad despite being a Jatt Sikh ?

:rofl:

Simple_Guy

Why do some westerners get upset over horse slaughter and horse meat?

At least cows give dairy and cow dung, used as fuel and fertilizer. The more useful an animal, the less likely we are to eat it. Horses now are useless animals.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
@ ALL

AhAra-nidrA-bhaya-maithunam cha
samAnam_etat_pashubhir_narANAm |
dharmo hi teShAm adhiko visheSho
dharmeNa hInAH pashubhiH samAnAH||

आहार-निद्रा-भय-मैथुनं च समानमेतत्पशुभिर्नराणाम् ।
धर्मो हि तेषामधिको विशेषो धर्मेण हीनाः पशुभिः समानाः ॥

food, sleep, fear and mating, these acts of humans are similar to animals' |
of them (humans), dharma (right conduct) is the only special thing, without dharma humans are also animals ||

Practical Sanskrit: human or animal, what is the difference? आहार-निद्रा-भय-मैथुनं

So decide for yourselves, what would be the righteous conduct for humans for food choices as district from animals .

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Double post -deleted

Last edited:

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
The effort of these ordained monks must be praised. Where in Sri Lanka many monks eat meat giving stupid excuses.
Brother, Sadly in your beautiful country Buddhism has turned to be more political like Xtianity and Islam. It has lost its spiritual connect with many monks who ordain religious privileges for political power. I was saddened by this.. In fact on PDF, I was surprised to find a Lankan national accusing me of falsely claiming Buddhism because I didn't agree with his views on hating our Hindu brethren in India.

Whether he was a false flagger Pakistani or not I don't know but if he wasn't, then Sri Lankan Buddhism has become just like Islam and Xtianity are; money and power and no connect with the spirit of the universe, just like the Shakyamuni/Siddhartha Gautama had taught us all.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles