Was creation of bangladesh a blunder?

ejazr

Ambassador
Among other opinions, one thing is introspection. Partially there is a problem with lethargy with the Indian politcal class with improving relations with Bangladesh.For example lookat whats happening now. Bangaldesh has gone out of its way to arrest and demolish all anti-India groups. And in return India has still not finalised the border agreement which is one of the biggest reason forborder killings. The adverse positions conclaves agreement is finalised but GoI has still not signed it.
Even then, in the present scenario, after Bhutan and Maldives, Bangladesh has the best relations with India.
Yes Bangladeshis are grateful for helping them in their independance, but the good will can only last if its sustained through mutally beneficial relationship in the economic, cultural and security fields.

samarsingh

the creation was not a blunder but absorption would have been. I think after its liberation the problems started when Sheikh Mujibur Rehman was assasinated and hardliners gained prominence in politics

JBH22

the creation was not a blunder but absorption would have been. I think after its liberation the problems started when Sheikh Mujibur Rehman was assasinated and hardliners gained prominence in politics
The creation of Bangladesh eliminated two-front war also the aftermath policies specially the removal of anti-immigration laws by power hungry Congress is ruining everything. Especially when you have a loser like Ram Vilas Paswan for pure political gains said "Illegal Bangladeshis should be given the right to vote".

neo29

Bangladesh liberation was the best thing that happened to India. If not then we would feel the same way Pak feels sandwiched between India and Indian presence in Afghan.

Split of Bangladesh was not on purpose but it was an answer to the request made by bangladeshi's who unfortunately are a menace to India due to illegal immigrants.

But coz of the split India is able to digest "Illegal Bangladeshis". Else without split it would have been "Illegal Pakis"

samarsingh

there is an interesting article in the editorial section of Times of India (tuesday , august 3 2010)

Back to the future

comments: This is a welcome development and the honourable supreme court of Bangladesh deserves all the appreciation it gets.

johnee

I view creation of Bangladesh as a stop-gap arrangement to the solution of Pakistan. The problem of Pakistan was created by the British in 1947. Indian leaders were not in a position to stop the devious plans of Brits. They bide their time. As India grows powerful, the partition would have to be undone. The creation of Bangladesh, whether intentionally or incidentally, was a step in that direction. The next steps would be creation of entities like Pakthunkwa, Balochistan, Sindh and the left over Pakistan. Then, the next step would be extend India's influence over these smaller countries through India's money and might. Then the gradual assimilation.

All this would take a time line of around 50yrs-70yrs in my view.

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
^^ That would be a fitting end to an unnatural entity created in the Indian subcontinent.

We can let the Afghans in Pakistan go back to their ethnic brothers in Afghanistan. I don't think we need that headache. The rest need to be absorbed back when they are fit to be assimilated.

Param

^^ That would be a fitting end to an unnatural entity created in the Indian subcontinent.

We can let the Afghans in Pakistan go back to their ethnic brothers in Afghanistan. I don't think we need that headache. The rest need to be absorbed back when they are fit to be assimilated.
assimilation of regions in Pakistan ? Even if that happens it would be a pain in the butt.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
I view creation of Bangladesh as a stop-gap arrangement to the solution of Pakistan. The problem of Pakistan was created by the British in 1947. Indian leaders were not in a position to stop the devious plans of Brits. They bide their time. As India grows powerful, the partition would have to be undone. The creation of Bangladesh, whether intentionally or incidentally, was a step in that direction. The next steps would be creation of entities like Pakthunkwa, Balochistan, Sindh and the left over Pakistan. Then, the next step would be extend India's influence over these smaller countries through India's money and might. Then the gradual assimilation.

All this would take a time line of around 50yrs-70yrs in my view.
Absolutely bro. Pakistan shows no regard for minorities, like Baluchis and Sindhis. "Pakistan" should be reduced to just Punjab. I'd like to see how they would "compete with India" then.

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
Yes. Nothing that can't be dealt with when the time comes.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Bangladesh was not created by India.

India only gave the nudge.

The Bengalis, rightly or wrongly, have historically never allowed any alien culture to swamp their linguistic and cultural heritage.

Jinnah thought that the Islamic cry would be stronger than culture and like other Pakistanis, the Bengali Muslims would accept Urdu and the non Bengali culture. But that was not so, right from the days immediately after Partition.

Further, the Bengalis were as different as chalk and cheese, compared to the ethnicity of their West Pak brothers, including the Mohajirs. Therefore, they did not willingly blend.

Pakistan Army's atrocities broke the camel's back.

Bangladesh came into being.

One less cohesive headache for India, if you will.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
assimilation of regions in Pakistan ? Even if that happens it would be a pain in the butt.
Instead of outright assimilation I think it would be better if we made sure that newly-independent ex-Pakistan countries have pro-India governments, and are integrated into India's economic and defense network. This way we keep those regions within our sphere of influence and at the same time avoid headache caused by independence/jihadist movements and the like.

I think that's what we tried to do in Bangladesh, and we were partially successful.

Param

Bangladesh was not created by India.

India only gave the nudge.

The Bengalis, rightly or wrongly, have historically never allowed any alien culture to swamp their linguistic and cultural heritage.

Jinnah thought that the Islamic cry would be stronger than culture and like other Pakistanis, the Bengali Muslims would accept Urdu and the non Bengali culture. But that was not so, right from the days immediately after Partition.

Further, the Bengalis were as different as chalk and cheese, compared to the ethnicity of their West Pak brothers, including the Mohajirs. Therefore, they did not willingly blend.

Pakistan Army's atrocities broke the camel's back.

Bangladesh came into being.

One less cohesive headache for India, if you will.
Do yo mean 1971 was just a nudge? We blasted those Pakistanis out of East pakistan. Without India Bangladesh would not have existed. There is nothing wrong in saying we created Bangladesh.
BTW the riots of partition started in east Bengal before spreading to Punjab.I would'nt even want to call them Bengalis just bangla speaking muslims of a foreign country that is more or less hostile towards India.Just wait for khaleda zia to come back to power.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Do yo mean 1971 was just a nudge? We blasted those Pakistanis out of East pakistan. Without India Bangladesh would not have existed. There is nothing wrong in saying we created Bangladesh.
BTW the riots of partition started in east Bengal before spreading to Punjab.I would'nt even want to call them Bengalis just bangla speaking muslims of a foreign country that is more or less hostile towards India.Just wait for khaleda zia to come back to power.
I would prefer the believe it was a nudge since given the situation of Pakistan as a whole, they were in a position to be taken on in detail including the West. For a variety or reasons, the western option was not broached.

I am afraid, Bengalis are a race that encompasses all religions. Therefore, Bangladeshi are as much Bengalis as those in our country. For instance, Pritish Nandy is a Christian. Does he not qualify as a Bengali?

Hostilities commenced not during the Liberation and immediately after it. It started later and there are good reasons for it. I would prefer to leave it at that. Runa Laila is a Muslim and yet she is a Bengali!

Hostility to India by some does not make them non Bengalis.

Gural and Manmohan Singh are very positive and friendly towards Pakistan. Does it mean that they are not Punjabis?

Also pragmatically seen, the efforts of the Mukti Bahini, especially in obtaining intelligence regarding the Pakistani army, which helped the Indian Army cannot be ignored.

Khaleda Zia is the wife of a Pakistani Army officer who came over to Bangladesh. The Pakistan Army's hatred towards India and kaffir is well known and Zia was also indoctrinated as were most Pakistani Armed Forces officers who were Bengalis. Therefore, Khaleda having an anti India bias is not surprising!

Last edited:

Param

I would prefer the believe it was a nudge since given the situation of Pakistan as a whole, they were in a position to be taken on in detail including the West. For a variety or reasons, the western option was not broached.

I am afraid, Bengalis are a race that encompasses all religions. Therefore, Bangladeshi are as much Bengalis as those in our country. For instance, Pritish Nandy is a Christian. Does he not qualify as a Bengali?

Hostilities commenced not during the Liberation and immediately after it. It started later and there are good reasons for it. I would prefer to leave it at that. Runa Laila is a Muslim and yet she is a Bengali!

Hostility to India by some does not make them non Bengalis.

Gural and Manmohan Singh are very positive and friendly towards Pakistan. Does it mean that they are not Punjabis?

Also pragmatically seen, the efforts of the Mukti Bahini, especially in obtaining intelligence regarding the Pakistani army, which helped the Indian Army cannot be ignored.

Khaleda Zia is the wife of a Pakistani Army officer who came over to Bangladesh. The Pakistan Army's hatred towards India and kaffir is well known and Zia was also indoctrinated as were most Pakistani Armed Forces officers who were Bengalis. Therefore, Khaleda having an anti India bias is not surprising!
If we had entered deep inside pakistan and tried to destroy them we would have been bombed by the US.So i think this talk of western front do destroy Pak holds no water.Independant Bangladesh would have remained a sad dream if India had not liberated them.

I think this all encompassing transborder love is creating problems for the country. Probably this the reason there is so much TOLERANCE of millions of illegals settling in the border states changing the demographic profile of the region.It seems like partition is being undone but the only benefactors seem to be millions of muslim Bangladeshis. I don't have any problem as long as a bengali muslim is a legal Indian citizen and not a fence jumper from a hostile country.

BTW your example of those two prominent Indian leaders _ both are known for their NOSTALGIA. such nostalgic & imotional people can only come up with crap like Aman-ki-asha + visiting Lahore and bringing back childhood memories.This country can have better leaders.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
If we had entered deep inside pakistan and tried to destroy them we would have been bombed by the US.So i think this talk of western front do destroy Pak holds no water.Independant Bangladesh would have remained a sad dream if India had not liberated them.
In 1971 we had the USSR behind our back. The US would not dare do anything that might provoke WWIII. Pakistan back then was not as important of a puppet as it is now.

IMO, in 1971 we should have marched onto Islamabad after Dhaka and demanded the complete reunification of POK and Northern Areas with Jammu and Kashmir. Pakistan was in such a weakened state back then that there was nothing then could do about it. Our stupid Congress Gov missed a HUGE opportunity than would save a lot of headache today.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
BEST CASE SCENARIO IN REGARDS TO BANGLADESH IMMIGRATION PROBLEM:

India's BSF builds a fence around Bangladesh and greatly restricts immigration into India. BD's population continues to grow, but with nowhere else to immigrate, millions of Bengalis flood into Myanmar. After a few years, Bengalis in Myanmar declare an independent state and overthrow the junta government. However, BD's population continues to grow, so millions of Bengalis flood into south China. Eventually, they... well you get the idea.

WINNER IS INDIA.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
^^^Hahahaha.....funny post that....gave me a good laugh. If only things were so simple. ;)

gogbot

We should have handled the pre-war situation in Bangladesh better.

If played our cards right , Bangladesh would have been a key ally or security partner , like we have with Maldives.
Our position in South Asia would have been far stronger, and border control more organised and coordinated.

Instead today BD is a wild card , with a divided population when it comes to relations with India , a BD government with a weak power base. Border clashes , More land disputes and illegal immigration problem.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

I think this all encompassing transborder love is creating problems for the country. Probably this the reason there is so much TOLERANCE of millions of illegals settling in the border states changing the demographic profile of the region.It seems like partition is being undone but the only benefactors seem to be millions of muslim Bangladeshis. I don't have any problem as long as a bengali muslim is a legal Indian citizen and not a fence jumper from a hostile country.

BTW your example of those two prominent Indian leaders _ both are known for their NOSTALGIA. such nostalgic & imotional people can only come up with crap like Aman-ki-asha + visiting Lahore and bringing back childhood memories.This country can have better leaders.
West Pakistan would not be a cakewalk, unlike East Pakistan since the population was not with India in West Pakistan as it was in East Pakistan. Therefore, to believe that India could totally 'destroy' Pakistan would be a non starter. What would be of import is to get swathes of POK and that was feasible to some extent. The Northern Areas, though difficult terrain, had a Shia population which was and is subjugated by the Sunni majority and so they are not well disposed to the Federal Govt at Islamabad.

In so far as the US is concerned, the point is well taken. In fact, if one reads documents of that era, one would realise that the US was worried of the prospect of India's larger ambition towards the West since they were very chary of Mrs Indira Gandhi, who was no one's handmaiden.

Bombing India by the US? The US is a very pragmatic country and is not quixotic. Even Iraq and Afghanistan are no whimsical adventures. There is a method to their madness so to say. Yet, some of their calculations went wrong. Now, could the US really undertake a bombing campaign indefinitely? And to what avail? The landmass of India is not a postage stamp! Think about the repercussions internationally of bombing a large country like India with no apparent reason. In fact, India did not go into West Pakistan is because of the diplomatic manoeuvres of not only the US and Europeans, but also that of Russia!

The issue of South Asia tranquillity or neutralising Bangladesh and the issue of illegals are two different issues. The ingress of illegals is a political chicanery of both the Congress and CPM; the former in Assam and the latter in West Bengal. The issue is no secret and is well documented and permitted to bolster the vote bank. Thereafter, came the deluge of which you allude. The deluge is also a political skulduggery.

Of course, the country can have many better leaders than those in politics. However, to win elections, one has to have money and muscle power. Not everyone can follow the dubious path to Parliament.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles