Was anyone aware of this?- TARMOUR

Discussion in 'Indian Army' started by black eagle, Oct 1, 2010.

1. black eagle

black eagle Senior Member Senior Member

I am posting this because this is something new to me. I haven't seen this before. So if anyone feels its common & the post is meaningless, my apologies are on offer.

3. ahmedsid

ahmedsid Top Gun Senior Member

Sounds Interesting! Its a good development, espeicially if the Israeli Influence is founded. We can put these to good use

4. black eagle

I think this specification is somewhat misleading. I think this is the specification for T-55 MBT & not of TARMOUR.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  5. Sridhar

Sridhar House keeper Moderator

[​IMG] Tarmour AFV [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Specifications : Optimal Armored Fighting Vehicle (AFV) system solutions for the mechanized formations for the most demanding operational environments.

The Tarmour family of AFVs is based on the conversion of old T55 inventories into top class AFVs with protection similar to MBTs coupled with outstanding mobility and maneuverability.

The Tarmour gives the mechanised units overwhelming capabilities- a combination of MBT’s mobility and survivability coupled with adequate firepower and first rate human engineering.

OFB offers a wide range of customized possibilities and solutions which can be tailored to suit the specific operational and technical requirements such as
    • APCs
    • Ambulances
    • Combat Engineer's AFVs
    - Earth Remover
    - Mine Plough
    - Mine Roller

Characteristics :

Weight 41.5 tonne
    Crew 3
    Overall length 9.530 metres
    Overall height 2.190 metres
    Overall width 3.590 metres
    Maximum road speed 60 kmph
    Engine power 780 hp
    Power to weight ratio 19 hp/tonne
    Shallow fording 5 M (with snorkel)
    Vertical obstacle 0.85 M
    Trench crossing 2.8 M Gradient 30 degrees
    Gun 125 mm
    Rate of fire 8 rds/min
    Ammunition 44 FSAPDS/HEAT/HE
    Co-axial machine gun 7.62 mm
    Anti aircraft machine gun 12.7 mm

Ordnance Factory Board

6. JHA

JHA Regular Member

Its better to donate these tanks to Nepal than keep developing something out from these obsolete tanks and keep spending money on these..

7. sayareakd

sayareakd Moderator Moderator

[​IMG] Shot at 2010-10-01[/IMG]

[​IMG] Shot at 2010-10-01[/IMG]

8. sayareakd

sayareakd Moderator Moderator

these tanks can be used in verity of ways, for Akash, for Unmanned tank and Unmanned vehicle for anti mines operations and in verity of roles including target practice.

Its engine is good even today and it is rugged therefore Indian Army like it.

9. jatkshatriya

jatkshatriya Regular Member

well..to be honest i really liked the idea...out of the box thinking...its kinda cool

10. sesha_maruthi27

sesha_maruthi27 Senior Member Senior Member

Are these INDIAN APC's match for the Chinese. I personally think they are good. But the other day, in the Comparison of India and China thread, I saw that the report was saying INDIAN APC's are no match for the CHINESE missiles and the CHINESE have better APC's than INDIA.......

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  11. black eagle

These can be used as a stop gap arrangements till the IA buys any modern APC. There's nothing wrong with this. But what i am interested in is what kinda systems have been incorporated in it. The article talks of israeli influence in the design. Don't know what it is.

12. JBH22

JBH22 Senior Member Senior Member

RUSSIAN BTR-T
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BTR-T - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Russians provide a wonderful solution to continue use T-55 given increase urbanisation one day IA will have to fight in an urban setting and therefore something like Tarmour will be helpful

13. bengalraider

bengalraider DFI Technocrat Stars and Ambassadors

in a fast food joint next to the imperial shipyard
    I'm sorry to be the party pooper here but the concept ain't new The heavy Apc has been in vogue with the Israelis for quite some time now even the Jordanians have their own models,
    The heavy APC is often seen as a cost effective proposal for the life extension of older tanks rather than scrapping for example

[​IMG]
    The Temsah heavy APC is a conversion of the Centurion MBT used by Jordan

[​IMG]
    The BMPV-64 heavy armored personnel carrier is a conversion of the T-64 main battle tank used by The Ukraine

[​IMG]
    The BMO-T is a dedicated armored transporter for specialized flamethrower squads used by the russians . it is based on the T-72 chassis.

[​IMG]
    The Russian BTR-T heavy armored personnel carrier is based on the T-55 medium tank

[​IMG]
    The Israeli Namer heavy APC provides infantry with the level of protection matching with the latest MBTs.it's based on the Merkava 4 chassis.

[​IMG]
    The namera protoype was built on the merkava 1 chassis however the decision makers favired the use of new running gear and hence the namer is based on the Merkava 4.

[​IMG]
    The Israeli Achzarit heavy armored personnel carrier is based on the captured T-55/54 Soviet medium tanks.

[​IMG]
    The Israeli Nakpadon heavy armored personnel carrier is a conversion of the Centurion MBT

If you look at the foreign designs and notice our own you shall find that there is a distinct lack of aerodynamic qualities in our example, however this is because the Tarmour is only a prototype , if accepted the real APC ahould be a bit more like the ones detailed here!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  14. bengalraider

The Israeli influence is in the very concept the Israelis have been modifying old tanks into heavy APC'S for eons now!

15. ashdoc

ashdoc Senior Member Senior Member

this may be a thick -skinned APC , but generally APCs have thin armour , and are no match for missiles anyway.

16. sandeepdg

sandeepdg Senior Member Senior Member

I think this is still being developed and a lot more needs to be done. But just 12.7 mm AA gun is hardly any firepower, the Russian BRT-R has options for multiple weapon configurations including Konkurs ATGMs, 12.7 mm heavy machine gun, 30 mm autocannon and 30 mm automatic grenade launchers ! We should have at least a configuration of 30mm cannon and ATGMs.

17. bhramos

bhramos Elite Member Elite Member

This is just one concept. this can be used or converted in many roles as mentioned above, I feel these can be converted to BMP-T then BTR-T.

BTR-T
    [​IMG]

BMP-T
    [​IMG]

18. bengalraider

Meanwhile in Israel!

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  19. the indian army doesn't like the idea of inducting one of the world's best heavy mbt's i.e arjun how can it like the idea of a heavy apc that too based on an old tank which has outlived it's service life for years and need urgent replacement.the only thing favourable to the idea is the army's over obsession with foreign maal.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  20. Madhavbhartia

Madhavbhartia Regular Member

1 regiment is already in service....
    The Indian Army ordered 124 Arjuns in 2000.The first five were delivered to the army in August 2004. In May 2009 the Indian Army raised its maiden Arjun regiment. The army received 16 tanks from Combat Vehicles Research and Development Establishment (CVRDE), Avadi, Tamil Nadu, taking the number of tanks delivered so far to 45.The first lot of 124 tanks were delivered to the Indian Army in 2010.

21. bengalraider

More news from our friend in the near east

http://www.globes.co.il/serveen/globes/docview.asp?did=1000598168

The Arjun and the Tarmour just got another competitor!frankly i'd love to see a few (roughly 200-300)merkava's in the IA and a similar no. of namers forming the spine of a new armored brigade in the rann of kutch!