VSHORAD Tender for Air Defence

WHICH : VSHORAD SHOULD INDIA BUY??

• Total voters

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
well u had missed out star strek range which is around 7KM & it missile speed is around mach 3.5 .

also RBS 70NG also has MAX range of 8km but it's speed is less around 2 .
RBS 70/NG max range is 7km, not max powered flight and Mach 1.6 - 2... not equal to the Mistral-2 kill envelope..

Starstreak maybe as you have to wait awhile for its second stage burnout... of course that is made by Thales. :thumb:

Drsomnath999

lord of 32 teeth
Country flag
Starstreak maybe as you have to wait awhile for its second stage burnout... of course that is made by Thales. :thumb:
Hmm why not .,thales has been developing cutting edge weapons till date now :hail:

Parthy

Air Warrior
Wiki says RBS 70 is - Manufactured by == ( Bofors Defence (1980s-2000) Saab Bofors Dynamics (since 2000) ) :confused:

Immanuel

Country flag
Upgraded stinger and/ or Igla should be ideal, i think the need should be for a shoulder fired missile, such extensive kit makes deployement slower, we need missiles on the ready at a moment's notice, upgrade stingers too have a long range of around 8 km. or even better go in for a Indo / US / Israeli co developement of the replacement for the stinger, put in a mini version of the python 5 or aim-9x 2 seeker on an updated stinger body with higher g-tolerances, the missile and launchers made lighter with composites and you have a cutting edge missile that could be manufactured locally at a lower cost per missile.

I would personally go for quick developement with Israel or unkil or both.

Drsomnath999

lord of 32 teeth
Country flag
Upgraded stinger and/ or Igla should be ideal, i think the need should be for a shoulder fired missile, such extensive kit makes deployement slower, we need missiles on the ready at a moment's notice, upgrade stingers too have a long range of around 8 km. or even better go in for a Indo / US / Israeli co developement of the replacement for the stinger, put in a mini version of the python 5 or aim-9x 2 seeker on an updated stinger body with higher g-tolerances, the missile and launchers made lighter with composites and you have a cutting edge missile that could be manufactured locally at a lower cost per missile.

I would personally go for quick developement with Israel or unkil or both.
WELL thats a criteria which needs to be seen like shoulder fire criteria which IGLA among all the contenders only has.
But if that's not the criteria then of course star strek is the most advanced among them

kaustav2001

Country flag
Upgraded stinger and/ or Igla should be ideal
Agreed, we should opt for commonality to keep the costs & logistics issues to a minimum. IGLA-S should suffice, although Starstreak seems to be more advanced than the rest . Of course next step should be to develop/ co-produce something with Help from Khan or the Israelis.

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
bit offtopic..

currently what do we have for 'low level air defense'??

do we have anything similar system like shown in the below videos?

i like shyshield. do we have any similar system?

The complete Skyshield array w/a SAM module in the back right. The two men give a sense of scale

Skyshield - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

watch this video, i like the concept, design and technology of skyshield.

i also like this gun, do we have any similar guns?

Last edited by a moderator:

jassmarwah

all the parameters are not spelt out for any individual to be able to vote confidently and with surety........ Such voting leads to bogus results...

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
all the parameters are not spelt out for any individual to be able to vote confidently and with surety........ Such voting leads to bogus results...
It differ from member to member..

Besides, If you know the parameters and the ability which is not a rocket science to understand you wouldn't say so..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
bit offtopic..

The complete Skyshield array w/a SAM module in the back right. The two men give a sense of scale

Presently Army use flycatcher radar with L70 guns..

Drsomnath999

lord of 32 teeth
Country flag
Do u want that someone would post the classified RFP report by MOD on this forums so that members like u would read & decide which is the best for india.

Either u dont know nothing or u know everything:cool2:

SPIEZ

Country flag
bit offtopic..

Too bad rheinmetal is banned now. Btw there were clips where, skyshield is employed against stationary target. But not a clip where it was actualy used against a target drone.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
I think we should go in for a mix of systems .i advocate using the upgraded IGLA for the Manpad role as it would cut down on the training hours as most of our air defence warriors are already very familiar with the system9also i have a soft spot for it having been fortunate enough to be able to pick it up and position it on my shoulder at DEFEXPO 2012), for vehicle mounted VSHORADS i think we should go in for the New concept by THALES called ADES, ADES utilizes a common turreted weapons platform for both wheeled and tracked vehicles which have the option of carrying a mix of 9 VSHORADS and 4 SHORADS or 18 VSHORADS or 8 SHORADS. the turret comes fully equipped with it's own targeting RADAR and electronics.The VSHORADS this normally uses is the starstreak however other VSHORADS can also be utlized with minor modifications.

An ADES unit with 9 VSHORADS and 4 SHORADS Tracked

same wheeled

anyhoo i found a couple of intersting vids
[video=youtube_share;6QRjtk7QuE0]http://youtu.be/6QRjtk7QuE0[/video]
STARSTREAK

[video=youtube_share;E_JuJ0n2tEU]http://youtu.be/E_JuJ0n2tEU[/video]
RBS70

Last edited:

sathya

Country flag
Indian VSHORADS competition progresses

Indian VSHORADS competition progresses

The massive $6 billion Indian Army very short-range air-defence system (VSHORADS) competition, which looks to contract nearly 1,000 launcher systems and over 6,000 missiles, has progressed into a crucial phase which involves quality assurance tests at Bangalore and a check-out of the electronics systems on the three remaining contenders in Ladakh. The big-ticket bid is currently a three-way fight between the French MBDA Mistral, Sweden's Saab RBS 70 NG and Russia's KBM new generation Igla-S.

Field evaluation trials of all three VSHORADS platforms were conducted in May in Rajasthan (hot weather trials), Visakhapatnam (coastal environmental trials) and Ladakh (high altitude, cold weather trials). All three teams are simulataneously in the country for the critical phases in Bangalore and Ladakh.
\

http://idrw.org/?p=14440#more-14440
Mistral

RBS 70 NG

Discussions will also be conducted on transfer of technology to default license manufacturing partner Bharat Dynamics Ltd (BDL). So far, all three systems have performed to specifications and expectations, sources say. The Army is looking for a system that can be deployed in multiple configurations including man-portable, fitted on a twin-launcher, based on a high-mobility vehicle, ship-based and submarine based.

The weapon systems fielded have so far demonstrated several capabilities during trials, including multiple target detection and tracking by day and night, providing target acquisition to the munition, engagement of aerial targets, etc.

Igla-S

As things stand, the competition could go either way, and the fight is fierce. Rosoboronexport, which displayed its Igla-S system at Defexpo 2012 is confident that its new generation system is a fitting replacement for the legacy MANPADS Igla currently in service with the Indian Army, and that type commonality could be a game-changer.

According to MBDA, "India is looking to replace its old Igla systems. With Mistral MANPADS in their inventory, India's armed forces would have a system that weighs less than 19kg rendering it easily portable by two operators, rapidly brought into action and fired. Being a fire-and-forget system, once the immediate threat has been engaged, attention can then be turned towards other targets, a crucial advantage that man-in-the-loop laser beam riding systems do not have. For an enemy pilot, at ranges of up to six km and beyond, Mistral's passive IR seeker means that it is very hard to detect and defend against."

Saab contends, "The RBS 70 NG is on offer to the Indian Army to fill a crucial need gap. The all-new RBS 70 NG VSHORAD system is a versatile battlefield game changer and will offer critical edge in the spectrum of deployment. We believe that the RBS 70 NG meets and exceeds the requirements of the Indian Army for a system that has multiple target seeking and tracking capabilities, multi-launcher capability, ability to deploy from high mobility vehicles and ship and submarine naval vessels, ability to engage aerial targets by day and night and aerial target detection capability."

Country flag
why dosen''t India have a indigenous system? After seekers developed for ASTRA
and AKASH.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles