Volgograd to Regain Stalin's Name For Battle Anniversary

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Volgograd to Regain Stalin's Name For Battle Anniversary

The Russian city of Volgograd will call itself Stalingrad again for a few days this year, to mark the 70th anniversary of the epic World War II battle in that city, after local officials approved the measure on Thursday.
The city legislature said Volgograd would be named "hero-city Stalingrad" on February 2, marking the end of the battle and other milestone dates, over half a century after the city's name was changed in 1961, following the campaign against Soviet leader Joseph Stalin's "cult of personality."
The decision was made "after numerous requests" from World War II veterans, the city government said in a statement.
The city decree means the city's old name – Stalingrad - can be used at demonstrations, in speeches and official reports on at least six dates starting this year, including Victory Day (celbrated in Russia on May 9), November 19 (the launch of the counterattack in Stalingrad) and September 2 (marked in Russia as the end of World War II), and other war-related occasions.
Volgograd was originally named Tsaritsyn until 1925, when it was renamed after Stalin for his role in leading the Red Army in the city during the Civil War. The city got its present-day name under Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev as part of his de-Stalinization campaign, eight years after Stalin's death.
Source: RIANovosti

Last edited:

pmaitra

Good news. It's about time the man who saved the USSR from disintegration and subversion by local collaborators and foreign interventionists, and the man who led the country to victory in WW2, deserves better treatment than what the West would afford him, or for that matter, West's apologists.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
The Battle of Stalingrad

The Battle of Stalingrad was a major and decisive battle of World War II in which Nazi Germany and its allies fought the Soviet Union for control of the city of Stalingrad (now Volgograd) in the southwestern Soviet Union. The battle took place between 23 August 1942 and 2 February 1943 and was marked by constant close-quarters combat and lack of regard for military and civilian casualties. It is among the bloodiest battles in the history of warfare, with the higher estimates of combined casualties amounting to nearly two million. The heavy losses inflicted on the German army made it a significant turning point in the whole war. After the Battle of Stalingrad, German forces never recovered their earlier strength, and attained no further strategic victories in the East.
Date7 July 1942 – 2 February 1943
(5 months, 1 week and 3 days)
LocationStalingrad, Russian SFSR, Soviet Union
ResultDecisive Soviet victory
Destruction of the German 6th Army
Axis forces began to decline in Eastern Front
Turning point of World War II in Europe

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Good news. It's about time the man who saved the USSR from disintegration and subversion by local collaborators and foreign interventionists, and the man who led the country to victory in WW2, deserves better treatment than what the West would afford him, or for that matter, West's apologists.
Yeah.
Besides, Volgograd sounds, no offence, kinda meh. Now, Stalingrad, now that sounds like a total boss name.
Anyway, it's only for a few days though. A few days of significance to the Armed Forces of the Soviet Union/Russian Federation.

Last edited:

pmaitra

Yeah.
Besides, Volgograd sounds, no offence, kinda meh. Now, Stalingrad, now that sounds like a total boss name.
Anyway, it's only for a few days though. A few days of significance to the Armed Forces of the Soviet Union/Russian Federation.
You should see the movie, "Enemy at the Gates," on Vassilyi Zaitsev.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
You should see the movie, "Enemy at the Gates," on Vassilyi Zaitsev.
I have the movie in my HDD. I watch it at regular intervals. :)
Though, they could have taken the movie in Russian. :tsk:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
I disagree. Stalin was as evil as Mao or Hitler.

But I will say for the surviving Red Army veterans, they deserve the honor to celebrate their participation in the Battle of Stalingrad in a city of that name.

pmaitra

I disagree. Stalin was as evil as Mao or Hitler.

But I will say for the surviving Red Army veterans, they deserve the honor to celebrate their participation in the Battle of Stalingrad in a city of that name.
I respect your opinion. I too have a similar opinion about Churchill and Nixon.

Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
I respect your opinion. I too have a similar opinion about Churchill and Nixon.

Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion.
The important element in the story is the Red Army veterans.

pmaitra

The important element in the story is the Red Army veterans.
There was a nice comment by Harrison Ford in the movie K-19, The Widow-maker. He was acting as the captain of the submarine. He tells his sailors, "Without me, you are nothing; without you, I am nothing!"

Stalin is as important as the Veterans. That's just me.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Join the party.

News from The Associated Press

Russian wardens throw party for Stalin's gulag

Millions of people died in Soviet dictator Josef Stalin's gulag, but the 75th anniversary of the founding of one of the notorious forced-labor camps was cause for a celebration in Russia.

Russian news portals reported Tuesday that local officials and prison wardens threw a party last week honoring the Usolsky camp in the Urals, with music and dancing and speeches by former camp guards.
Or join the Party.

Or both.
@hello_10

Last edited by a moderator:

pmaitra

Join the party.

News from The Associated Press

Russian wardens throw party for Stalin's gulag

Or join the Party.

Or both.
@hello_10
Not a great fan of gulags, neither a supporter of Stalin's purges, but if you participate in a Civil War, you always kill your own countrymen. Such a consideration, however, wouldn't motivate me to be disrespectful towards Lincoln, because afterall, I stand for the unity and territorial integrity of the USA, as much as I stand for the unity and territorial integrity of the USSR. My stance is quite neutral, if you ask me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Das ka das

Tihar Jail
Banned
Not a great fan of gulags, neither a supporter of Stalin's purges, but if you participate in a Civil War, you always kill your own countrymen. Such a consideration, however, wouldn't motivate me to be disrespectful towards Lincoln, because afterall, I stand for the unity and territorial integrity of the USA, as much as I stand for the unity and territorial integrity of the USSR. My stance is quite neutral, if you ask me.
I was looking at the review of a book called "Bloodlands" where the author said that around 1 million people died in Stalinist Gulag, over 800,000 shot to death in purges (Great terror), and 4 million starved to death due to collectivization of 1933 (mainly Ukrainians). That is a huge death toll but far smaller than the often quoted "20 million people murdered by Stalin" that many Americans love to say.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles