Vision 2030: Superpower India

tony4562

Tihar Jail
Banned
India's population won't stop at 1.6 billion. Wiki has a graph (see below) depicting India's population trend up to 2003, it clearly shows linear-type growth up to that point. Maybe the overall population growth rate is slowing, in terms of numbers the growth is actually accelerating. I think India's population will exceed 2 billion before it maxs out. And unless there is fundamental change in a common indian's way of life, India's population probably won't even stop there, then truely only sky is the limit for Inda's population.

Last edited:

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Wow nice lines. And actually you are right, nothing in naming or achieving "superpower" status, there is ALOOFNESS and LONLINESS at top, but at same time...
We should be a RESPECTED and A POWER TO RECON among world's leading countries.

A population of billion BRILLIANT minds should always have SAY in worldwide matters. That's it and nothing else matters. Name it as we wish.
I completely agree that we should be respected among the nations of the world, and that one billion Indians should have a greater say in worldwide matters. And we will inevitably become a 'power to recon' as our large population becomes economically empowered and our military continues to develop.

However, we should avoid being a 'superpower' along the lines of the U.S.; we should not become a global policeman/hegemon nor try to exert our influence in faraway places. What happens in Peru or Ghana should be of no direct concern to the Indian state. Rather, we should work to move the world away from unipolarity (dominance by a single superpower, i.e. the U.S.) and towards multipolarity (multiple 'great powers' ensuring a balance of world power).

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
my personal point of view, taking into account im living in south europe , lived in usa , england and australia as well - all these nations are not impressed by indians earning music awards and as for cricket ,well- that's playing the coloniser's game . theyre not really impressed - ok the brits being usually polite , might make a big show of that .. The usa americans are a lot more genuine in that they kindof admire the contribution a lot of indians have made to their education system and also in the field of software . To me even being the nri that i am , india wouldnt have made it in western eyes until "we" have multinational companies such as the japanese do - ie until we have compnies of the global size and reach such as mitsubishi , honda or sony - until we make it at that level , all talk of indians earning music awards and cricket is of little value tand irrelevant to the hearts and minds of western europeans ( and white americans ) ...... it is of as much value as the condescention that anglos give to african -amercans who earn music and sports awards but do not have even ONE mutinational as the japanese do ..... to nail it in ( sorry ) the only asians who are respected in "western" eyes are the japanese ( no ,not even the chinese for all the space-walking they might have done ! ) You see the average even highly educated western european or anglo doesnt read strategic studies nor defence technology but they do buy consumer products and so their points of view are much more influenced by what consumer products of value a country produces rather than their defence equipment . IN that respect, prc-china with their new company Hua-wei might be just beginning to gain some reputation in western eyes , whereas india has yet to begin . I hope india will awaken to this reality The success of Agni-V doesnt gain as much respect as the success of a snazzy new mitsubishi or honda ...

Last edited:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I completely agree that we should be respected among the nations of the world, and that one billion Indians should have a greater say in worldwide matters. And we will inevitably become a 'power to recon' as our large population becomes economically empowered and our military continues to develop.

However, we should avoid being a 'superpower' along the lines of the U.S.; we should not become a global policeman/hegemon nor try to exert our influence in faraway places. What happens in Peru or Ghana should be of no direct concern to the Indian state. Rather, we should work to move the world away from unipolarity (dominance by a single superpower, i.e. the U.S.) and towards multipolarity (multiple 'great powers' ensuring a balance of world power).
Respect flows from the barrel of the gun. Foreigners should be subjugated, looted and treated like trash.

I have come to this conclusion...doesn't sound good but its how the real world works unfortunately.

cir

S&P cuts India's outlook from stable to negative

S&P cuts India's outlook from stable to negative - Rediff.com Business

Global agency Standard and Poor's on Wednesday lowered India's rating outlook to negative and warned of a downgrade in two years if there is no improvement in the fiscal situation and the political climate continues to worsen.

The lowering of outlook from stable (BBB+) to negative (BBB-) is expected to make external commercial borrowings expensive for Indian Inc.

It may also have implications for the capital market.

"The outlook revision reflects our view of at least a one-in-three likelihood of a downgrade if the external position continues to deteriorate, growth prospects diminish or progress on fiscal reforms remains slow in a weakened political setting" said S & P's credit analyst Takahira Ogawa in a statement.

Terming S&Poor's decision to lower India's credit rating outlook to negative as a 'timely warning', Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, however, said there is no need to panic as the government is committed to economic reforms.

"I am concerned but I don't feel panicky because I am confident that our economy will grow at 7 per cent, around 7 per cent if not plus.

We will be able to control fiscal deficit and it will be around 5.1 per cent", he told reporters.

The perpetually optimistic FM has come out in force, again!!!

amoy

india wouldnt have made it in western eyes until "we" have multinational companies such as the japanese do - ie until we have compnies of the global size and reach such as mitsubishi , honda or sony - until we make it at that level , all talk of indians earning music awards and cricket is of little value tand irrelevant to the hearts and minds of western europeans ( and white americans ) ...... ...
Echoing this paragraph in particular. Already there're Infosys, or Wipro or Tata towards a world wide prestige.

Another arena may be Olympics. Apart from athletic performance (we'll see in London), think abt the sequence of hosting Summer Olympics, Tokyo, Seoul and Beijing in Asia, and that in BRICS Moscow, Beijing, Rio de Janeiro. Also an interesting indicator of elevation to "super".

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles