Violence over Taslima article in Karnataka, 2 killed

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by tarunraju, Mar 1, 2010.

1. tarunraju

tarunraju Moderator Moderator

Source

Why do our people have to hurt themselves over this b1tch? ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Here are the repercussions of letting India become a dharamshala where any tom **** and harry is granted asylum. The government already told her to STFU if she wants to live in India. She just can't do that, can she?

3. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Why do people have to react on each and every thing that happens and that too with violence? There are a lot of miscreants even in the media who do things on purpose to get publicity. I saw this movie called Run last eve which is pretty much how media works.

4. NSG_Blackcats

NSG_Blackcats Member of The Month OCTOBER 2009 Senior Member

I fail to understand when our public will come out of their obsession. Sometimes I feel they are bringing out their own frustration on streets. Whom are they obsessed with? Is it M F Hussain, Taslima Nasreen, various religious gurus, imams, film stars, sports persons, political leaders or is it their own frustration?

Our public are losing their tolerance and taking law into their own hand. This is a worrying trend. If they are protesting violently for a great injustice, I could have thought of even supporting them. But violent protests on idiotic issues must be dealt strictly.

5. prahladh

prahladh Respected Member

Why is she the b1tch here?

And can I have the article she wrote on burqa system. I seem to find only comments and not the original article.

6. Vinod2070

Vinod2070 मध्यस्थ Stars and Ambassadors

Well, I think India is right to grant her asylum. She has been hounded out by extremists in her country and India is a natural home to such people.

We can't shirk our responsibility here. We need to make sure she does nothing here that fans tension in this country. And that doesn't mean giving in to the likes of MIM thugs either.

7. tarunraju

Because it is her work that incited violence (partly also that newspaper), and that too going against government's directive to refrain from making any such public appearances/statements/speeches/articles/literature that got her kicked out of her country in the first place.

8. ajtr

ajtr Veteran Member Veteran Member

what did she actually write in that particular article?????And why are only people down south in karnataka are reacting to it?

9. tarunraju

Her article / extracts of her work were published in a Kannada daily (in Kannada). It was trivializing the burqa/pardah system in Islam.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  10. Soham

Soham DFI TEAM Senior Member

What I don't get is - Why is anyone bored enough in life to take to the streets for every weeny issue. Don't they have a family, work, and other things to occupy them ?

11. ajtr

By the way if any one had read her Lajja novel,you wont even find a bit of controversy there as most people say that she committed blasphemy by writing against Prophet(which is just a rumor).There is not even a single word in Lajja which tends to criticise Him.She criticized the islamist in her novel.99.9% people who react to her work,i'm sure would't even read a single word of her novel or article.They all react to rumors.

12. ajtr

Its coz of mob culture in india.whoever is able to creat bigger violent mob,gets the authority to hear him.

13. Rage

Rage DFI TEAM Stars and Ambassadors

Methinks she didn't do anything- atleast not after she crossed over. Apparently, the article was a translated version of an *old* article she penned some years ago, that appeared in the Kannada-language newspaper and caused people to go bonkers. If anything, it shows how edgy our people are. Cool down folks! It's Holi.

14. tarunraju

Wow, and it's alarming how no TV news channel reported this crucial bit. In which case, it's the newspaper that has to be acted against, when the dust settles down.

15. ahmedsid

ahmedsid Top Gun Senior Member

Taslima's burqa article sparks violence in K'taka, 2 killed

Taslima's burqa article sparks violence in K'taka, 2 killed

Shimoga/Hassan (Karnataka): Two people were killed and 15 others were injured in Shimoga and Hassan districts of Karnataka following violence that erupted in protest against an old and translated article of controversial Bangladeshi writer Taslima Nasreen in a Kannada newspaper. Many places of worship were also targeted.

In the the article titled 'Let's Think Again About The Burqa' , Taslima, in her typically incendiary style, had stated: "If the Quran advises women to use purdah, should they do so? My answer is No. Irrespective of which book says it, which person advises, whoever commands, women should not have purdah. No veil, no chador, no hijab, no burqa, no headscarf. Women should not use any of these things because all these are instruments of disrespect".

The article sparked violence in Shimoga, the hometown of Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa. The violence started when protestors burnt vehicles, but soon it took a communal twist when shops and establishments of a particular community were targeted. The police had to resort to lathicharge and firing in the air which claimed two lives. As the violence escalated, curfew was imposed in Shimoga.

Violence also spread to Hassan, the hometown of former prime minister and JD(U) president H D Deva Gowda. When reports last came in, vehicles were set ablaze and police were mulling to impose prohibitory orders.

At an emergency meeting called by Yeddyurappa, the Chief Minister said those indulging in violence will be severely dealt with. Home Minister Dr V S Acharya said the police have been told to control the violence at the earliest.

Meanwhile, the Sri Ramasene has called for a bandh in Hassan on Tuesday to protest against the violence.

The offices of Kannada Prabha, which published the article, have been provided protection. Sources said that the reason why an old article was now published was rather strange.

16. ahmedsid

This is saddening, This has again shown the level of Degeneration some minds have gone to due to Religion. Religion was made mostly to Unite people, not to divide them! Why Cant we just respect an Artists/Writers right to express themselves? Rather than try and Kill them or Destroy Public Property in the process? Saddening, Deeply Saddening!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  17. NSG_Blackcats

18. NSG_Blackcats

This is another example of our media and how quickly theyjump the gun without even doing any verification. As usual our public brings out their own frustration on the streets.

Appearance of article in Karnataka daily is atrocious: Taslima

19. Vinod2070

The article is pretty old and if I remember correctly it describes the reasons why Muslim women need to wear burqa. I may be wrong but I think it insinuates that the prophet mandated the burqa on all Muslim women because of his own personal reasons.

Doubtless it could be used to whip up the passions.

20. ahmedsid

I dont understand, Let a Writer/Artist say what comes to their mind! Who is stopping these people from Writing against it? Why should they try to Kill and maim when they too got the same opportunities? Why cant someone Write an article against Taslima and get it over with? Why cant someone draw MF Hussain NUDE and get it over with? I am sure these people protesting have got the skill to do it! Why Violence? Why kill our Countrymen? Why burn our Properties? God Speed

21. Vinod2070

^^ Yes, the reality is that we are still emotional people not given to reason and logic.