Views on cow slaughter.

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by I-G, Jul 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

Karnataka to bring in bill to enforce cow slaughter ban

Bangalore, July 02: The BJP Government in Karnataka is planning to come out with a comprehensive legislation to strictly enforce ban on cow slaughter.

Karnataka Home Minister V S Acharya, Law and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Suresh Kumar and Animal Husbandry Minister Revunaik Belamagi today held discussions in this regard.

Acharya told reporters that the Prevention of Cow Slaughter and Cattle Protection Act of 1964 would be "redrafted".

While there was a ban on cow slaughter in the state, it was not being enforced strictly. The proposed act would seek to bring in more clarity, which was absent in the present act, he said.

He said the 1964 act was amended during the Assembly session in Belgaum in January but it turned out to be "useless" necessitating a comprehensive new legislation.

Asked if the bill would be introduced in the coming session scheduled from July nine, he said time was short but efforts would made to do so.

Karnataka to bring in bill to enforce cow slaughter ban

3. Payeng

Payeng Daku Mongol Singh

ritual slaughters like that of sacrifices and those during Bakrid can be discussed, a full ban on it IMO is not feasible, I would like to hear what Yusuf have to say about it.

4. kautilya

kautilya Regular Member

State shouldn't have any business banning anything. This banning of things in India is ridiculous. We give leeway to every religious group to demand banning this or that all the time. Let the uber religious lot of every religion lump it.

Prometheus likes this.
  5. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Why ban just cows then, ban everything. But first how about dong something about slaughterin humans in the name of religion?

Cows are especially bred for consumption. It's not that people are taking away cows from the farmer and killing it.

I know it's the religious sentiments that is triggering it, but I read somewhere that even a Lord of that religion used to eat the meat of cows.

Personally, I won't be affected as I don't eat beef. I have chicken and mutton.

Prometheus likes this.
  6. fateh71

fateh71 Regular Member

Its not the state's business to ban cow slaughter, this is just creating an issue out of a non issue. If one does not want to eat beef, feel free to, infact beef is rather difficult to get in India anyways.

I completely oppose this nonsense.

Prometheus likes this.
  7. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Between you and me, the cows that are ready to be slaughtered are near dead cows.

Not worth the trouble!

8. Known_Unknown

Known_Unknown Devil's Advocate Stars and Ambassadors

I would support a ban but not for religious reasons. IMO killing any animal for food is ethically wrong when there are alternative vegetarian alternatives available. So a ban on killing cows is but one small step in the right direction.

Waffen SS likes this.
  9. Yusuf

K-U,
    we cannot change how humans were made. We all ate meat and vegetables alike since we set foot on earth.

10. Ratus Ratus

Ratus Ratus Defence Professionals Defence Professionals

There are some who might consider uprooting a nice vegetable killing it as well.
    It is a no win situation.

11. Arjak

Arjak Respected Member

why only cows?
    what bout goats and pigs?
    this is ridiculous,why enforce laws on a community due to needs of other?
    secular,huh?
    this is why i dislike bjp and their likes

12. Known_Unknown

Yes, but I like to believe we have evolved since then. We are not the hunter-gatherers of the Stone Age anymore, so why act like them? Our sciences, philosophies and sensibilities have evolved and so should our diet. Did you know that chimpanzees share 98% of their DNA with humans? Genetically, they are our cousins, and their physical similarities with us are proof of it. Yet, in some parts of Africa, they are hunted for their meat and eaten.

Hence, somebody came with with the idea of the Great Ape Project.

Project GAP

Great Ape Project - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As human knowledge grows about other animals, long standing myths such as "animals aren't "self-aware", or that "animals do not suffer much pain due to inferior nervous systems" etc are being questioned. So how long can we go on killing animals to satisfy our paletes when there are alternative ways to get food by causing less pain and suffering?

13. Payeng

Payeng Daku Mongol Singh

well no religion specific, but how about a ban on rituals and sacrifices where mass slaughters are seen to be practiced that includes all animals no specific.

14. Known_Unknown

I'm not advocating that all humans starve to death. Those who want to are welcome, but all I'm saying is that we should promote the concept of Food Ethics.

15. Yusuf

Well, plants are living beings as well. Why kill them? Mate this debate can go on.

16. Known_Unknown

Well like I said, I'm not advocating humans starve to death either. That would involve pain and suffering too.

Plants are not sentient beings. They don't have nervous systems, and they don't die unless the roots are destroyed. There are no "individuals" within trees and there's no question of them being self-aware or feeling extreme pain or suffering when plant products are consumed. Fruits would just fall and rot if they were not consumed, and the same applies to many other vegetables or plant products.

So any step towards banning consumption of meat is welcome, whatever reason it may be for.

17. Fighter

Fighter Regular Member

What are hindus not allowed to eat by religion.
    Is it only cow meat. What about fish.

18. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

Complex topic.
    Some ultra orthodox eat beef proudly claiming that seers of yore too use to have it. Some abhor meat. The Aghori sect followers are not unknown to eat corpses too. Bengalis of almost all castes relish fish.
    I don't eat seafood, though, allergy issues.

---

Every country has its own culture and sensibilities, cow is a considered a scared, lovable animal by a majority of Indians irresp of religion, hence I condone the ban on its slaughter.

Though on the other hand for those who want to consume beef; they ought to be allowed to procure beef either from states like Kerala and West Bengal where their slaughter is allowed by the state or which is imported or make do with buffalo meat.

In Delhi for eg. one is able to buy exotic meats including the most expensive beef variety, the kobe from good charcuteries or consume them in restaurants serving them.

19. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

Sirsa town observes bandh over 'cow slaughters'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    STAFF REPORTER 19:2 HRS IST
    Chandigarh, July 11 (PTI) Saffron groups enforced a general strike was enforced in Sirsa town of Haryana to protest slaughtering of 35 cows whose carcasses and remains were found at village Dabwali by its residents.,

As the news of cow slaughter last evening spread today people held protest marches and blocked various roads.

Today hundreds of 'Gao Sewaks' led by Hira Lal Sharma, president Sirsa Beopar Mandal, Swami Braham Nand, President of Haryana Gao Raksha Sangh, VHP activists and representatives of various social organizations held a protest march in Sirsa town to protest the cow slaughter.

Reports of bandhs and protests came in from Rania, Ellenabad, Kalanwali and Dabwali towns of Sirsa district.

Meanwhile, Haryana Police decided to keep a strict vigil on inter-state movement of animals including cows, buffaloes and bulls to prevent incidents of animal slaughter in the state.

fullstory

20. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

Bajrang Dal protests against recovery of dead cows

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    STAFF REPORTER 15:47 HRS IST
    Ratlam (MP), Jul 11 (PTI) As a precautionary measure, the district administration today asked all the educational institutes to suspend their classes following the bandh called by Bajrang Dal to protest against the recovery of 16 dead cows near here.

Police have been deployed in the sensitive areas, Superintendent of Police Vedprakash Sharma told PTI.

The situation was peaceful and no untoward incident has been reported, the SP said.

Sixteen dead cows were recovered from a truck on its way to Maharashtra from Rajasthan and one person was arrested in this connection, he said.

The cows presumably died of suffocation in the truck, police said, adding that the incident came to light when three persons were trying to dispose of the dead bovines at a jungle in the district.

The truck was packed with around 35 cows, police said.

fullstory

21. prahladh

prahladh Respected Member

I don't think cow is specifically named in any Hindu scriptures. They just say no non-veg. Even that I don't think is compulsory. We are free to follow if we want.
    These bills are waste of time and resources just like some statues of fools being set-up in the some part of this country.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.