Viewers Unimpressed by Barkha show on tapes

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by abirbec04, Dec 1, 2010.

1. abirbec04

abirbec04 Regular Member

Still fending off allegations surrounding her talks with a corporate lobbyist in the wake of leaked phone taps of their conversations, Barkha Dutt spoke for the first time on air on NDTV on Tuesday night about her critics’ allegations against her.

NDTV

Barkha Dutt spoke for the first time on the allegations against her on the Radia Tapes.

(The full show can be seen here: http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/nd...-editors-on-radia-tapes-controversy/178964?hp)

The program featured Ms. Dutt in a face-to-face discussion with a panel of eminent journalists, including Open Magazine’s Manu Joseph, whose publication first ran the story of the tapes Nov. 18. But it left many viewers unsatisfied and many questions unanswered, judging by comments made online.

Many viewers thought that Ms. Dutt had lost the plot and was too defensive. Here are some reactions from readers on our site, Twitter and elsewhere on the Net:

The Twitter world was full of reactions from yesterday’s program and many of the tweeters were clearly dissatisfied with the way Ms. Dutt presented herself on the show.

Robins_Joseph wrote on Twitter, “Barkha Dutt on defense, Failed to answer editors question in NDTV Discussion last night. She is also a puppet in the hand of corporates.”

A similar opinion was held by “Voxindica,” who said on Twitter, “Cover up of BarkhaVirGate on NDTV; Dilip Padgaonkar mollycoddled, Barkha wasted time by airing long clips of past programs.”

It appeared that Ms. Dutt’s argumentative style and constant interruption of Mr. Joseph’s comments didn’t go down well with many readers, who made cynical remarks about it.

An India Real Time reader, “UnderstandingAboveAll,” wrote, “Barkha Dutt’s response was not convincing at all. I will have serious doubts about her judgment calls in all her programs from here on. Also, you can’t shout down a point against you as Barkha tried to do. Moreover I did not see any evidence of a smear campaign against Barkha. Behaving as if you have been injured in an unfair battle would not get Barkha out of this.”

Another reader, “Shyam,” agreed.

“Interrupting the guests on the show and not allowing them to articulate their thoughts properly is a problem that afflicts all major English TV channels in India. Barkha did not come out well at the end of the show. Too loud and aggressive and gave a feeling that she was there against her wishes. Dasgupta, Padgaonkar and Sanjay were quite impressive. Manu Joseph had a valid question that Barkha never answered properly. However, Manu too could have done better …Barkha’s taunts about his SMS had some truth in them”, commented Shyam.”

On the website of Media Watchdog, The Hoot, a reader commented, “Yesterday’s show was pure drama: Shaking/trembling anchor (Sonia), emotional Barkha (came prepared with the agenda to play the stories she did during the time irrespective of the questions being asked, animosity to Open/Manu Joseph with mugged up lines ‘Using raw material, not corroborating before publishing blah blah). Did not answer searching questions, had to be reminded by Sanjay B that they were called to discuss her POV on the tapes and not for a discussion on media ethics as she was trying to make out. Frankly, BD’s arrogance and mean approach to MJ/Open was all that came out. IF NDTV was trying to come clean, they have made an ‘error of judgment’ on the way it needs to be done. And when did people like Sanjay B & Dileep Padgoankar need assurance from BD that they were indeed asking good questions. So condescending !!”

http://blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/2010/12/01/web-reax-viewers-unimpressed-by-barkha-show-on-tapes/

Barkha has lost it and good news folks NDTV is in the red as investor faith eroding with another dismal loss making quarterly report.

Bye bye NDTV - we won't miss you one bit.

http://www.moneylife.in/article/10977.html

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  3. SHASH2K2

SHASH2K2 New Member

There was no clarification in defence of her action .She was merely trying to prove that there is nothing wrong . Infact she was too offensive. "chori aur sinajori " is apt for her action .

4. abirbec04

abirbec04 Regular Member

Well said my friend ..... she couldn't answer one single question posed by Manu Joseph about her alleged tagging Nira along defence, as she was repeatedly grilled on not being able to report the very story she was tagging along.

Her style of debate is worthless and in this case even worse than college debates where generally people try to interrupt and put down others in order to score a few brownie points. What she was doing is basically a non sequitur because of its apparent lack of meaning relative to what it follows, seemed absurd to the point of being humorous and confusing.

I had a good laugh - it made my day ...... keep it coming Barkha, you will soon replace Laloo as our elite jester. :emot15:

5. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

Karan Thapar should have been allowed to question her. He would have put her in her right place, that is, out of the the media world. Anyways, she is a tainted journalist and it will haunt her all her journalistic career if she still pursues it. I can imagine a situation where some one will bring these allegations (like Congress agent, corporate lobbyist etc) during one of her panel discussions and make her life horrible. She should never do any Live shows if she want to go on with this tainted career.

6. sayareakd

sayareakd Moderator Moderator

I think she needs to give details of her assets acquire from that date of tapes, her bank account details on affidavit, then we will see, BTW some one should have asked if this was the only conversation she had with the corporate lobbiest,............(yes or no would be good answer).

7. SHASH2K2

SHASH2K2 New Member

This is where Barkha should have been grilled .

8. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

they say life is a great leveler, some feel they can say and do anything and get away with it all of the time, if barkha takes her lessons from this episode it would be worth it else there is more embarrassment for the lady in question, its just the way the life is, aint it?

one can only hope next time she with her channel and vested interests that surround these people try to tarnish someone else's image, all this makes the woman wiser and the direction she takes is one filled with responsibility and not one filled with vested agenda. may she have a successful life ahead.

9. sayareakd

sayareakd Moderator Moderator

people should ask of NDTV has got all the journalist and editor like her, BTW can some one tell about NDTV share in stock market for last one month.

10. abirbec04

abirbec04 Regular Member

See the report in my first post.

http://www.moneylife.in/article/10977.html

11. malluowl

malluowl Regular Member

My Indian Brethren,
    Please do not take this personally, but I honestly feel we as Indians are quick to elevate anybody and everybody to God like status too quick. We also have a tendency to trample over others who did not quite make it. Vir Sanghavi and Barkha Dutta are the perfect examples, sure they were good at their jobs and do have ample talent but did they deserve the superstar billing we often gave them.

If we stop these hero worshiping of others may be it will not inflate their egos and maybe we will have less issues like these. When someone is elevated to a position they did not work hard enough for, there is always a tendency to deviate from the right.

12. Godless-Kafir

Godless-Kafir DFI Buddha Senior Member

This is not an issue of defaming although that is the side effect and out come of this episode but the issue here is that it brought out to the open that people like Barkha where playing a roll in political affairs and with Corporate lobbies like Reliance,Airtel,TATA,NDTV etc., where trying to influence the cabinet portfolios for their benefit, after their so called Journalist and Media cover is blown underneath it even NDTV is an corporate entity like Reliance that looks for its best interest and profit. There may have been some gain for NDTV if A.Raja was to become the Telecommunication Minister and it is very good that this is out so we know what really is going on at the back doors.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  13. SHASH2K2

SHASH2K2 New Member

brother if you are talking about Barkha dutt we were all aware of her reality long before this expose. Anyone who follows news closely clearly knows that NDTV is mouthpiece of Congress and we never trusted her antiques. If you go through some old threads you will come to know what we think about people like Barkha dutt.

check this thread : http://www.defenceforum.in/forum/showthread.php?t=13173&page=3&highlight=barkha
    There is one more thread with extreme views about Barkha but I am not able to find it now. We praise only those who deserve it .

14. Godless-Kafir

Godless-Kafir DFI Buddha Senior Member

The funny part is Barkha claims she is feeling "hurt". When she defamed people with much less evidence than this and covered Kargil and 26/11 exposing our troop plans to the enemy just for profit she never cared for any of it. So many soldiers lost their life because of this self-serving women and her blatant coverage of our deployment, she and Rajdeep could claim that in Kargil they did not know the enemy would be watching their report but why did they have to repeat that in 26/11? What moral standards does she hold. She is neck down in all the corporate and power hungry sleaze and enjoys the power and attention her links and contacts in the political and corporate world give her.

15. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

Common people never made them heroes. It is the Congress government, by giving Padma Shris to these tainted journalists, that made them heroes. No wonder they were the stooges of Congress and worked as heir agents in the media giving favorable coverage to the party. Its like "you scratch my back and I scratch your back" - a win-win situation. Need to see how many more are still lurking behind the doors.

16. Rage

Rage DFI TEAM Stars and Ambassadors

To be fair, this aura of indignance has been brought about, as much by their air of smug superiority as it has by the Indian public's patronising of their views and opinions.

They were, honestly, 'public' figures in the true sense. Those that voiced the Indian people's opinion, from diverse sections. And held the corrupt bureaucrats and politicians to task, trial by media, public embarrassment, whatever. To see them indulge in that same corruption is, no doubt, a blow to their image in the minds of the people, but it is also a phenomenon of their continually inflating themselves with hot air.

Are you surprised? in this intensely competitive modern society we have, everyone that does not stand the test of time is doth trampled upon.

17. abirbec04

abirbec04 Regular Member

18. abirbec04

abirbec04 Regular Member

I don't know what Vir and Barkha are thinking. Vir was more measured but Barkha, as N. Ram rightly put it, was pathetic. Prabhu Chawla is a non-issue but nonetheless necessary.

The longer Vir and Barkha take in resigining or NDTV and Hindustan Times in suspending them the more trouble it would spell for their image.

19. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

I am no fan of Barkha Dutt as many of my posts here would indicate.

To be fair, it was rather bold of NDTV to field Bakha Dutt. No one who is guilty of impropriety would like to come on TV to defend oneself. Kalmadi and Thomas are two very live cases of gross impropriety and even chicanery and they have been scooting like video games every time a TV crew is observed and they have the arrogance to not explain their position to the public, whose money they have played Ducks and Drakes with!!

Barkha Dutt and NDTV at least did not run away and hide under Mama's skirt!! And so, to be fair, it is a good departure from the routine and commendable too!

That said, Barkha Dutt, inspite of a 'ferocious' defence, did not come out smelling of roses!

Her body language and face gave it all away!

In fact, too many doubts continues to remain, and all said and done, the whiff of something fishy in the defence still permeates the air!

And what about that that sanctimonious chap, with his soft voice and hooded eyes adding to theatrical effects, Vir Sanghvi?!

Added Later:

Just saw the Sanghvi tapes to some extent. He has debated the issue better than Barkha Dutt (maybe because of his soft voice and the techniques reminding one of those who usually pander disinformation).

Notwithstanding, there is the smell of a fish market and that too, with ages old fish still not sold. Something is rotting somewhere!

I have always been uncomfortable with Prabhu Chawla, he exudes what is known as the 'Karolbagh bonhomie' with the grinning disarming face that patently looks a trifle false and deviously disarming and thoroughly orchestrated!

20. SHASH2K2

SHASH2K2 New Member

This headlined today show was mainly to target Brakha dutt. I still feel that to certain extent Prabhu and Veer were not so deeply involved and were ready to listen to both parties bur Madam barkha made a fool of herself. Now even top editors are baying for her blood way she handled her show day before yesterday.

21. Rage

Rage DFI TEAM Stars and Ambassadors

I'll tell you something, I'm less impressed by Vir Sanghvi's defence than Barkha Dutt. Vir Sanghvi has the calm voice of a debonair professional. But that doesn't change the fact that some of the claims and representations he made were non-integrable. He is what we call a Spaniel whisperer: a smooth, polished individual who can tame and talk to the harshest dogs. I don't buy it.

In many ways, I think Barkha Dutt's reaction was more visceral, and in some ways more down-to-earth. Her defence was poor and callous, but she came across as more 'fundamental' in her response. In the case of Vir Sanghvi, it looked like he put a big layer of spit, polish and cream on his response. I'm less inclined to buy it, than I am to buy Barkha Dutt's. And that's saying something, for her disastrous performance.