Vietnam's plea puts South Block in a predicament

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
^^ Wrong. The simple reason why this pussyfooting is done is because the government has kept our armed forces in PATHETIC condition. With an average soldiers' gear itself telling the entire story about how terrible our defenses are in. The truth is that we're no no position to fight a war and win safely enough with ANY OF OUR neighbors right now including Bangladesh and Sri Lanka. As much as this will sound ridiculous, I'd like to say that without proper gear, winning war is still possible at current state with anyone. But the cost of life in our military units would be too great. What's the use of a freaking victory where we lose thousands of soldiers like cannon fodder? Of course victory means the country is safe but how is this being thankful to thee valiant soldiers?

This is the thing; the elephant is waiting to burst out of this room and this government is desperate in trying to keep it hidden until it can handle no more.

JayATL

I don't get this- how is Indo sino border " patrol" issue being solved or talks even equate to a favor done to India? Why is that the " OMG lets rethink vietnam's request carefully- moment?"

I just don't understand this lack of backbone... they aint doing India any favors with trying to keep border patrol issues non hostile!

JayATL

delete the thread plz mods- sorry did not prop up as being posted- or I missed it.

JayATL

I don't get this- how is Indo sino border " patrol" issue being solved or talks even equate to a favor done to India? Why is that the " OMG lets rethink vietnam's request carefully- moment?"

I just don't understand this lack of backbone... they aint doing India any favors with trying to keep border patrol issues non hostile!

SPIEZ

Country flag
But the Chinese are doing developmental work along internationally disputed territory PoK, also supplying puke's with almost everything.

Why shouldn't India do it to Vietnam ?

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
The times when I repent having a Govt that has no balls.
Despite of being a visibly weaker party Vietnam dare ask for it and GOI would just pee on the thought of providing the assistance?
Our politics requires young minds urgently, to replace the non-functional babus/ministers who've lost it.
In those corridors the very mindset and culture itself is "don't care till shit hits my personal fan" ... whatever happened to the much needed aggression and instinct.

Regards,
Virendra

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
I have noticed that some of members start mud slinging and get side tracked from the title of the topic. I would welcome critical analysis of the topic in discussion and for and against arguments. Try to keep your personal hatred for others out of this forum.

Galaxy

Country flag
Vietnam asks for BrahMos, Warships and Pilot Training for Sukhoi 30MKK from India

Vietnam ask's for BrahMos , Warships and pilot training for Sukhoi 30MKK from India

November 10, 2011

Vietnam's request for military assistance from India, primarily in the naval field, has put South Block in a quandary, said official sources.On the one hand, India would like to pay back Vietnam for its assistance in consistently bolstering its case at multilateral fora such as the Association of South East Asian Nations (Asean), and on the other, it would not want to irk China as the plea has come shortly after exchanges between Beijing and New Delhi over Oil & Natural Gas Commission Videsh (ONGC Videsh) prospecting for oil and gas in a portion of South China Sea claimed by both China and Vietnam.

Vietnam President Troun Tan Sang made the request in four fields — submarine training, conversion training for its pilots to fly Sukhoi-30, modernisation of a strategic port and transfer of medium-sized warships.

In fact, the sources said, the Vietnam President overlooked protocol to meet senior Indian officials and ensured the timing of their commercial flight was revised to accommodate the unscheduled meeting. Vietnam had asked India to transfer Brahmos cruise missiles and offer its small civil nuclear plants for selection.

India would be comfortable with providing conversion training for Sukhois as it has completed a similar exercise with Malaysia, another South-East Asian country. Meeting the other three demands needed considerable deliberation, said the sources, as India was not keen to put a spanner in ties with China with which it is shortly slated to sign an agreement to douse tensions by taking care of eye-ball-to-eyeball confrontations between military patrols in certain pockets of the line of actual control (LAC).

In particular, India will have to think hard about Vietnam's request to transfer 1,000 to 1,500 tonne vessels to sanitise Vietnam's long coast line and upgrade the Nha Trang port, located near the critical Cam Ranh Bay, especially after the alleged warning by the Chinese navy to an Indian warship that had left this port after a visit in July.

According to the report submitted by the Navy, INS Airavat left the place quickly after a caller, identifying himself as the "Chinese Navy," warned that "you are entering Chinese waters." The Navy has claimed that its men on the warship did not spot any aircraft or ship from where the call had come. It also claimed not to have worked out the coordinates from where the call originated. Indian diplomats said the incident was a "non-event."

Diplomats here said India would have to factor in two factors — though it had the right to develop ties in its near neighbourhood, it should not be done in a manner that derailed ties with China, especially at a time when the Special Representatives on the border issue were due to meet and Beijing's support wasrequired for entry into the Nuclear Suppliers' Group.

A.V.

why do they want brahmos when they have longer range missiles ?

Secondly training is good and can be done providing armaments sale needs to be done covertly

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
why do they want brahmos when they have longer range missiles ?

Secondly training is good and can be done providing armaments sale needs to be done covertly
Speed. What you and we created, has redefined the method of missile warfare. If Vietnamese could use this on their ships and offshore silos, PLAN would not be in a good shape in a conflict. The point is not range but invulnerability to counter attacks. BrahMos in the present military world can take on anything thrown at it.

There was this fine explosive powder that was supposed to be around 5-10 times more devastating than standard TNT ... can't recollect its name; it is there in Panchastra thread. If we can put that sort of weaponized stuff in a weapon like BrahMos warhead, Vietnam would be in for a big windfall gain. I wish Modi replaces this government soon and we give all this to them. We need a friend against the Red Dragon.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles