Vietnam People's Army Pictures

sandeepdg

An Australian jungle warfare expert, forget his name, was quoted as saying the Brits and Aussies learned to fight in the jungle, the Americans just tried to destroy it. I think that is true.
Well, I hope they got their bloody lesson in Vietnam.

We can't shoot the people we send to Congress, much as we would like.:lol:
Well, Americans love to lead by example. You should at least try :)

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
For American, It is hard to accept "VC kicked US asses"... Just: "We withdraw in honor". But, withdraw in a battle = honor? To me, there's no honor in a battle when we retreat...
The question is :"Why did US have to withdraw?"
I watch a lot of US documentary films (on National Graphic Channel and Discovery - ah, many people say that there's no freedom in informations, news in VN, but I can watch US channel freely, on cable TV, which founded by State TV, LOL)... In these films, the reason was just American anti-war protests!
But no one asked why did American make anti-war protest? Because they all loved peace?
So in 2003, some huge protest anti-war against Iraq happened, with million people... Why do US soldiers still stay in Iraq?
Actualy, this is the answer:
From 1965-1972: US lost approximately 58.000 soldiers, 305.000 wounded, more than 10.000 aircrafts lost... That means one year US lost 8.300 soldiers, 43.000 wounded, 1.400 aircrafts lost.
I bet, if Iraqi insurgents or Taliban kill just 1.500 US soldiers per year, US will withdraw immediately. But they could not do that.
Our Vice President Nguyen Thi Binh wrote a letter to South Vietnam Nation Liberation Front while she was in Paris, attending Paris Agreement 1972:" Our victory in negotiation based on your victory in battlefield. The more casualties enemy has, the more favorable terms we have"...
You notice, all this discussion began because I just suggested your elite soldiers cross concertina wire with ladders.:lol:

I will mention two other off-topic issues (and I do like your photos which are the purpose of the thread).

"Anti-war" protestors in the US are mostly extreme leftists/anarchists who don't care about peace, just to bring down USG. You see them on Wall Street today.

Also, actually in reply to something sandeepdg said, the original doctrine for US Special Forces, if I remember correctly, was to support guerrillas/indigenous forces. I do not see that being the case in VN.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Well, I hope they got their bloody lesson in Vietnam.

Well, Americans love to lead by example. You should at least try :)
Sir Robert Thompson was the Australian who made the remark about Americans in the jungle.

The US Army does try to learn from the past. It has a Center for Lessons Learned, in fact.

Center for Army Lessons Learned

However, I once read a letter from a State Department person there who strongly advised against US Army going into Somalia. Sadly, the lesson had to be learned again. :-(

coccafedang

This vehicle looks pretty rough and tough, Kunal. Is it Vietnamese ? Shed some light on this.
Yeap, this is an Israeli made RAM-2000, VN put on a PKM 7,62mm and DKSh 12,7mm. This belong to Ministry of Public Security, special force.

coccafedang

You notice, all this discussion began because I just suggested your elite soldiers cross concertina wire with ladders.:lol:

I will mention two other off-topic issues (and I do like your photos which are the purpose of the thread).

"Anti-war" protestors in the US are mostly extreme leftists/anarchists who don't care about peace, just to bring down USG. You see them on Wall Street today.

Also, actually in reply to something sandeepdg said, the original doctrine for US Special Forces, if I remember correctly, was to support guerrillas/indigenous forces. I do not see that being the case in VN.
Again, I tell you do not compare Daccong to US SEAL or Russian Spetznat or UK SAS... You know, to all rich countries, their soldiers always travel by APCs, IFVs, choppers, so they can bring a lot of equipments, that makes them heavy, but they don't care, they do not travel on foot.
But with VN, even now, soldiers must travel to battlefield on foot. With a infantry, they can move on trucks. But with Daccong, their way of fighting is just "secret, sudden attack" with minimum force, minimum weapon but reach maximum results. "Come with no sound or image, leave without signs". So bring a ladder is not allowed (because Daccong can pass through the fence without ladder or they can be a "ladder".

Due to development of high tech weapon, VN daccong now is being trained to against those weapon with very simple ways... For example: if enemy has thermal binocular, or Infrared observing equipments, Daccong has a cream that can hide their body's temperature, If they met a electric wired fence, they just need a rubber carpet...
Daccong is just well -equiped in anti-terrorist missions...

SPIEZ

Country flag
Again, I tell you do not compare Daccong to US SEAL or Russian Spetznat or UK SAS... You know, to all rich countries, their soldiers always travel by APCs, IFVs, choppers, so they can bring a lot of equipments, that makes them heavy, but they don't care, they do not travel on foot.
But with VN, even now, soldiers must travel to battlefield on foot. With a infantry, they can move on trucks. But with Daccong, their way of fighting is just "secret, sudden attack" with minimum force, minimum weapon but reach maximum results. "Come with no sound or image, leave without signs". So bring a ladder is not allowed (because Daccong can pass through the fence without ladder or they can be a "ladder".

Due to development of high tech weapon, VN daccong now is being trained to against those weapon with very simple ways... For example: if enemy has thermal binocular, or Infrared observing equipments, Daccong has a cream that can hide their body's temperature, If they met a electric wired fence, they just need a rubber carpet...
Daccong is just well -equiped in anti-terrorist missions...
Or you could just use mud to cover you up. Its a good insulator prevents IR detection. What about missile attacks ???
what in that case ?

sandeepdg

The original doctrine for US Special Forces, if I remember correctly, was to support guerrillas/indigenous forces. I do not see that being the case in VN.
Nope. US special forces doctrine is quite vast. It includes unconventional warfare, foreign internal defense, special reconnaissance, direct action, hostage rescue, and counter-terrorism. And also, search and rescue (CSAR), security assistance, peacekeeping, humanitarian assistance, humanitarian demining, counter-proliferation, psychological operations, manhunts, and counter-drug operations.

Whereas guerrilla warfare is just an irregular warfare technique, that can be used by all regular and special forces. Only the US special forces during Vietnam war had such capabilities to fight an irregular war, not the regular infantry troops. Whereas, the entire VC fought primarily in irregular warfare, since they were technologically handicapped. It was a good strategy, transform your shortcomings into your advantage.

A suggested read: http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB63/doc3.pdf

W.G.Ewald

Professional
I did say original doctrine. Your reference is 1988, after several years of the evolution of that doctrine.

coccafedang

T-55 M3 is a prototype..

==========

Some upgrades of T-55M3:
- Introduced by Israeli, base on Magach-7 (upgrade version of M-48) success
- New turret (in US/NATO design)
- New gun : L7 105mm, new bullet (SABOT and HEAT)
- Upgrade of transmission, communication system
- new ERA
- New fire control system, targeting system stability
- .... (still classified)
As expected, all 1100 MBT T-54/55 will be upgraded from 2011 to 2015!

SPIEZ

Country flag
Pretty good light armored car. IA can very well use these for its requirements. I think this could also be good enough for what Kunal was talking about in the IA's IFV thread.
I had thought about the same thing too! But i doubt whether it can hold a MGS. Although transportation troops would become easy.
Also many would argue that .50 HMG or a RPG can rip it to shreds.

However there are many Indian designs in this field. If something similar is developed hope to see it from the Indian indigenous design.

coccafedang

You can not require more from a light armored car... So surely .50 cal and RPG can rip it. That's why this LAC RAM-2000 was just equiped to Public Security Force, for anti-terrorist mission...
(Someone can wonder if terrorist has RPG, this is impossible. In VN, personel owned "hot weapon" is restricted, and weapon is controlled very well)

SPIEZ

Country flag
You can not require more from a light armored car... So surely .50 cal and RPG can rip it. That's why this LAC RAM-2000 was just equiped to Public Security Force, for anti-terrorist mission...
(Someone can wonder if terrorist has RPG, this is impossible. In VN, weapon is controlled very well)
We were running off-topic, Sorry! But Indian terrorist or insurgents, from those in Kashmir to Maoists use RPGs, IEDS that blow up MPVs etc ....

Now my question cocco, how do you people handle aerial warfare? Nowadays with loads of cruise missiles which were used in Gulf war to Operation enduring freedom, or whatever the latest war name the US have come up. What in such cases of aerial and cruise missile attack ?

coccafedang

Yes, SEAD is our concern... For many years, VN AA system become backward, with 100mm,57mm,37mm,23mm,12,7mm AA gun which made from WW2... S-75, S-125 was too old, from VN war...
Knowing that, in recent years, VN start modernize its AA system... These are some of new equipments:
- Su-30MK2, use as mini-AWACS for Anti-Aircraft mission and Anti-Ship...

- Mig-21 (upgraded to MiG-21bis) and Su-27 use as interceptors:

- Backbone of the AA missile system, superstars S-300PMU1+++ (different to Chinese PMU1, PMU2), S-400 in order...

- Latest version of S-125: S-125TM Pechora:

- For low flying target as cruise missile:
ZSU-23-4 Shilka upgraded (Radar, fire control, some has SA-18 Grouse)

Small AA gun like ZSU-23 will be complete automatic, like this (indigenous upgrade):

VN made SA-18

And the most important part in VN AA system, Radar, with a lot of new modern systems as:3D radar...
Belorrusian RM

Nebo-UE

Kochulga

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles