VIDEO: J-20 Testing Turn Radius

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
The turn (radius) seems pretty good (short) to me as compared to many contemporary a/cs......what do u suggest?

Immanuel

Country flag
don't know seems like even the LCA mk1 could out turn this ugly bitch

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Its funny they do the turn right over residential areas and then go away, just a planned photo op, as if china has any real defence enthusiasts waiting for hours. Just payed clowns. :D

Canards and Delta wing plus powerful engine means good turn radius..

Immanuel

Country flag
Nah i doubt it would match the performance of the Rafale let alone the EF or even LCA mk-2. LCa mk-2 being inherently small should be the hardest to spot visually among all these birds. J-20 is just one ugly bird, possibly the ugliest fighter i have ever seen. Its big, noisy and I am pretty sure an easy target for something like the simple Stinger.

noob101

i have to say that I am impressed with the Chinese so far, can't wait to see how it performs in an air show... Interesting that the Chinese went for a delta wing configuration with twin tails.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
She starts the maneuver at 30s and peels out before completion at 56s. Give it another couple seconds to complete the turn for 28s turn rate. The radius seems to be at least a kilometre. 4th gen fighters can make the turn in 20s or less and within 500m. I think that qualifies it as a flying BRIC.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
She starts the maneuver at 30s and peels out before completion at 56s. Give it another couple seconds to complete the turn for 28s turn rate. The radius seems to be at least a kilometre. 4th gen fighters can make the turn in 20s or less and within 500m. I think that qualifies it as a flying BRIC.
To early to tell, they may not have opened the flight envelope completely on the FBW system yet...Moreover it finishes the circle in 28s. Which is not bad for a stealth aircraft, we need to wait and see what comes next.

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
This validates the assumption that J-20 isn't going to be dogfighting. It would be slaughtered in a knife fight. It is decent maneuverability for a strike bomber.

J20!

Country flag
I sincerely doubt this was a turning radius test. Such tests wouldn't be performed in public (which is what this basicaly is, in public). Stats like turning radius are highly classified, and considering this is the extremely secretive PLA, I'd bet this is just the PLAAF showing off. Plus, if she was performing extreme high G turns, we'd probably see the vortices.

PS. I love how the pilot just turns up the power and dissappears at the end of the video.

p2prada

This is just a prototype. It has much to do before we see it's entire flight envelope is open.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Here's the F-22 turn radius:

Last edited by a moderator:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
And here's how a 4.5 gen Su30MKI does its turning...

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
PAK FA can make the turn in 22s ...

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
17.5 s is very tight, 3 seconds less than the F22. This is probably the advantage of 3DV. The Pakfa also did not produce wing vortices. ;)

Last edited:

debasree

Country flag
its ugly ,and its too early 2 say that it is as good as mki or lca

J20!

Country flag
its ugly ,and its too early 2 say that it is as good as mki or lca
LCA? MKI?! Are you high? The LCA is a LIGHT fighter first and foremost, and the MKI for all its maneuverability is still 4th gen, and has one of the largest RCS's of modern fighters. By virtue of being a stealth fighter, the J20 is superior to anything in both the Indian and chinese inventories, I know you'll try and deny it and there'll be huge ridiculous debate, so look 5th and 4th gen fighters up before hand and lets skip the denial phase.

PS. Compare the LCA with its counter part: the JF17, not a heavy, twin engined stealth fighter. *shaking head*

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles