Vicious attempt by Indian media to defame Jadavpur University

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Peter, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Peter

Peter Senior Member Senior Member

The Indian media is well known for its over sensationalization and cheap publicity stunts. A very crude example of this is in the various biased news articles which the so called fifth pillar of democracy publishes daily. The Indian media has now descended to even greater depths of absurdity and vile yellow journalism by trying to defame Jadavpur University and portray it as an anti national institution.

Anyway here is what really happened in the rally according to my friends.(I was not there in the rally. I never am.)

The guy bellow is Shounak Mukherji who was in the rally.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    HariPrasad-1 likes this.
  3. Peter

[​IMG]

Here is the official stand of JU on these matter. As usual Indian media rides high on nationalism and less on ground realities.

4. Peter

One of my JU batch-mates who is in fetsu has clarified his stance on this issue.

We decided in GB, we're not going to shout any "pro-Afjal" or "anti-India" slogan.

The common decision of the rally goers was not to have such slogan.

2 protesters among 500 had slogans for 5 minutes in the rally which lasted for 1:30 hours.

Media showed only those 5 minutes. Despite that, press was called immediately, where the organizers' stand was once again made clear.

Still the media will try to defame our University, as they have always tried to do so.

We'll fight this yellow journalism, everyone being united. Gathering tomorrow, 1:30pm.

5. Peter

From one of my friends.

আবার অপপ্রচার ও চক্রান্তের লক্ষ্য যাদবপুর: প্রতিবাদী জমায়েত ও সাংবাদিক সম্মেলন

আমরা তিন পড়ুয়া, সৈকত, শৌনক, প্রিয়স্মিতা আজ বিকেল ৫-টায় যাদবপুর বিশ্ববিদ্যালয় ওয়ার্ল্ড ভিউ চত্বর থেকে একটি মশাল মিছিল ডেকেছিলাম। ইভেন্টের বিবরণী ফেসবুকে দেখলে বা মিছিলের মূল ব্যানার দেখলেই মিছিলের বক্তব্য দিনের আলোর মতো স্পষ্ট বুঝতে অসুবিধা হবার কথা নয়। এই বক্তব্য পড়ুয়াদের মধ্যে সর্বসম্মতভাবে গৃহীত এবং স্বভাবতই আজ মিছিলে প্রায় পাঁচশতাধিক পড়ুয়া এই বক্তব্যের ভিত্তিতেই মিছিলে যোগ দিয়েছেন এটাই স্বাভাবিক। এই সর্বসম্মত ‘সাধারণ ন্যূনতম()’ বক্তব্যের বাইরে নানা ব্যক্তি-পড়ুয়ার নানা মত থাকতেই পারে, তা এই মিছিলের সাথে সম্পর্কিত নয়।
    বিস্মিত হয়ে লক্ষ্য করলাম, কিছু গণমাধ্যম গণতন্ত্র ও সত্যের প্রতি দায়বদ্ধতা থেকে বিচ্ছিন্ন হয়ে মিছিল ও তার বক্তব্য সম্পর্কে মিছিল শেষ-হওয়ামাত্র বিভ্রান্তি সৃষ্টি করে ফেলছেন ও যাদবপুরের পড়ুয়াদের মতামত ও ভূমিকা সম্পর্কে সমাজে ভুল বার্তা দিচ্ছেন। যা ইচ্ছায় বা অনিচ্ছায় অপপ্রচারে পর্যবসিত হচ্ছে। কোনও বিচ্ছিন্ন ঘটনা দেখে মিছিলের ঘোষিত বক্তব্যের সাথে সামঞ্জস্যপূর্ণ হচ্ছে না বলে যদি তাদের মনে হয়েও থাকে, তবে তারা ইভেন্টের আহ্বায়কদের সাথে যোগাযোগ করতে পারতেন অবিশ্বাস্য ক্ষিপ্রতায় ‘সংবাদ’ প্রচারের আগে। সেটাই হতো তাদের সুনাম ও পরিচিতির সাথে মানানসই দায়িত্বপূর্ণ আচরণ।
    আজকের ইভেন্টের বক্তব্যের সাথে আমরা আবারও সহমত জ্ঞাপন করছি। গণমাধ্যমকে অনুরোধ করবো বিভ্রান্তি না ছড়িয়ে মিছিল-আহ্বানের বক্তব্যের ওপর ভিত্তি করতে। আজ ইতোমধ্যেই সংবাদমাধ্যমকে যথাসম্ভব আমাদের বক্তব্য আমরা জানাচ্ছি।
    আবারও জমায়েত ডাকা হচ্ছে সর্বসমক্ষে আরেকবার দৃঢ় প্রত্যয়ের সাথে নিজেদের বক্তব্য জানিয়ে দিতে ও গণমাধ্যমের কাছে প্রকাশ্য সাংবাদিক সম্মেলনে সেই অবস্থান সজোরে জানাতে। আন্দোলনের যাদবপুর তার প্রতিবাদী চরিত্রে অটল থাকবে। কোনও হুমকী, চক্রান্ত, মিথ্যাচার, বিভ্রান্তির কাছে সে মাথা নত করবে না।
    আজকের মতোই আবার এসো আগামীকাল, প্রতিবাদে হয়ে ওঠো নির্ভীক জ্বলন্ত মশাল...

Shounak, Saikat and Priyasmita , three of us students of Jadavpur University called a torch rally 16.2.2016 evening from World view. If you look at the event description or whatever was written in the main banner, everything will become clear as daylight . The odd 500 students who joined the rally participated based on that common consensus . People still may have anything to say beyond this common consensus but that isn't related with this particular protest RALLY. What was shocking to us is that the media after the rally, portrayed a picture completely deviating from the common consensus and spirit of the Rally and whether you want it or not its getting broadcast repeatedly. If they really found discrepancies in certain slogans from Rally and the official Statement , then they should have immediately contacted the organisers of the event instead of indulging in Half truths. That would have reflected their commitment towards presenting unbiased reporting. Again we are endorsing the official statement of protest rally of 16.2.2016. We strongly urge the Media to focus on this official statement of the rally instead of circulating 'aberrations'. In the meantime we have already reached as many media houses possible with our statement. Yet again we are calling a PRESS MEET TO SOLEMNLY STATE the common consensus of the rally infront of everyone with the same conviction with which the 500 students participated in the rally. DATE : 17.2.2016 TIME :1.30 P.M. VENUE : JADAVPUR UNIVERSITY GATE 4 !!! WE REQUEST EVERY STUDENT TO BE PRESENT THERE.
    SHARE WIDELY

6. Peter

[​IMG] ]

From the FB wall of a friend.

7. Peter

8. Peter

Anyway here is another comment from a friend who disapproves of the incident. I reproduce his comment here.

I study in an institute,

Where nobody cares when students looses interest in studies because of the average education system,
    Where nobody cares when girl's toilets remain closed years after years,
    Where nobody cares when my senior research scholars are not paid enough to sustain,
    Where nobody cares when teachers teach from cheat-sheet, :biggrin2::nono:
    Where nobody cares when it comes to development of the university,
    Where nobody cares when we have to fight to get just 200 computers for a recruitment drive,
    Where nobody cares when an independent good-for-all Linux Users Group fights to get official stamp as an independent society even after an year.
    Where nobody cares for results not being published even after 6 months of the exam!

But...

Everybody cares, when some JNU people gets punishment.
    Again everybody cares, when some support them.

What to say about this pro-anti Union fight!!!
    I know nothing of this JNU-ABVP case, but seriously some people in JU cannot take its decision based on a GB of 30 people.

You must answer tomorrow. Be there. Tomorrow. 1:30. Play-ground, JU. For questions and answers

9. Peter

....................................................................................

10. Rowdy

Rowdy Co ja kurwa czytam! Senior Member

Leftists are leftists... they deserve no mercy .... as russian general said about the bombing in Syria ... "We can't differentiate between shades of Shit "..... Fuck these leftist goons ...

11. hit&run

hit&run Elite Member Elite Member

Thanks, for tagging me. Can you please tell me why JU students are protesting at all. Also your video shows those students are calling for breaking different states from Union of India.

Dovah, TrueSpirit2 and maomao like this.
  12. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

@Peter,

I know many people in Jadavpur University, and quite a few outfits. Many of these outfits were frothing in the mouth eagerly waiting for the collapse of the Buddhadeb Bhattacharya government. You know and I know, some of these outfits are Naxalite sympathizers. Why are they shouting Afzal Guru's name? Where were they when the Naxalites tried to assassinate Buddahdeb Bhatacharya?

It is because of these elements, Jadavpur University gets a bad name, and the RSS scumbags get the opportunity to carry out their vicious propaganda against CPI and CPI(M). You cannot clap with one hand.

Don't fall for these. A University should be a place to study, not a place to engage in politics. Everything has a limit.

BTW, why are you blaming the media? Most of the media has given a balanced coverage of this issue. Please read a bit.

SANITY, TrueSpirit2, G10 and 2 others like this.
  13. pmaitra

The person in the beginning says he called for "Azadi" from the atrocities of the Modi Government. He spoke against breaking the Union of India. Later on, a bunch of people were speaking is support of Guru/Geelani. The person in the beginning says he does not agree with separatism.

hit&run likes this.
  14. pmaitra

@Peter, if you don't mind a bit of unsolicited advice, I ask you to focus on your studies and stay away from activism. Even if a group of students are protesting against the goverrnment, you cannot control who will join the group and start giving slogans against the country. When this happens, the entire group gets a bad name. I think JU should stick to giving press releases, or strictly coordinate who participates. In any event, you should stay out of this.

SANITY, TrueSpirit2, Peter and 3 others like this.
  15. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

They did say azadi chhin ke lenge. They're saying state sponsored murder of ROHITH VEMULA and afzal guru's punishment was a conspiracy. I'm not sure why only leftist are involved in such activities.

parijataka, TrueSpirit2, G10 and 3 others like this.
  16. AbRaj

AbRaj Regular Member

trust me on that, given suitable environment and time this tag line would be dropped in no time
    These scums are kangaroosi ideologue who don't belong to any nation, for them religion and cast is the tool of Vote bank manipulation
    They survives on illiteracy and joblessness
    They took the whole credit for independence of India while all their contribution in greater scheme of events that leads to Independence of India and several other countries are next to insignificant

17. Krusty

Krusty Regular Member

+1

I'm not sure ALL of them protesting have the same ideology. I have been in petty strikes in my coll too and there were a good number of people there just for the kicks/cutting classes and more importantly, threatened to join by the leaders of the protests. It may not be the case in JNU, but one can only speculate how big a crowd would remain if the ones who aren't really interested just left..

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    TrueSpirit2 likes this.
  18. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

Sir, this doesn't look like some official letter duly signed by authorities. This letter says we think Kanhaiya is falsely charged for sedition. It says they condemn the thrashing of these antinational elements in court by RW goons, it was lawyers who did this and rightly so because these idiots thought that they can do anything in Public domain like they do in JNU and could get away with everything like they have the luxury in JNU. You can't challenge and badmouth and shout antiindia slogans in someone's own backyard.

19. pmaitra

Not all. Please read the press release. It clearly condemns pro-Pakistan slogans.

20. pmaitra

There are way too many outfits, and frankly, I don't even know what percentage are on what side.

21. pmaitra

I just translated what I heard. I don't know this guy.