Viability of a new article 370-compliant city in J&K for ex-servicemen

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Article-370, as Subramanian Swamy puts it, can be abolished at a stroke of the President's pen (through an ordinance). Even if it is kept intact, India agreed to maintain the religious demographics of J&K. Those demographics were affected when separatist groups backed by Pakistan, drove Hindus, Kashmiri Pandits, away from the valley, into either southern (Jammu region), or to elsewhere in the country, in what is the biggest internal displacement in independent India. The solution to that is not by undertaking a potentially dangerous repatriation of Kashmiri Pandits, but other Hindus. In compliance with "maintenance of religious demographics," India can repopulate J&K with Hindus. Swamy suggested that the armed forces could make the state a place for ex-servicemen to retire, but I want to take that idea further.

Tens of thousands of ex-servicemen can't stream into the current towns and cities of J&K, and strain their rickety civic infrastructure, so how about building a brand new city in the valley, by tapping into PPPs? The said city should be constructed to perfectly blend in with the environment there, be strategically located along the Jammu-Baramulla broad-gauge rail line, and should be a planned city, with modern conveniences. It could house not just an economy run entirely by ex-servicemen and their descendants, but also develop into a tourist and commercial destination. Ex-servicemen should be allowed to conceal-carry small-arms, and law-and-order must be maintained not just through the rule-of-law, but also the armed population.

Today's Avantipur is an ideal reference point. It's well within the valley, has an air force station (could be developed into a civilian airport), a railway station along the developing Jammu-Baramulla line, has several historic Hindu sites, and a relatively plain terrain.

Discuss.

Last edited:

parijataka

Country flag
Re: Viability of a new article 370-compliant city in J&K for ex-servic

How about building such a city for the displaced Kashmiri Pandits driven out by Islamic terror ? Along with the ex servicemen - I believe even now Kashmiri Pandits who are settled back in Kashmir are being intimidated by Kashmiri Muslims.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag

The problem is that Kashmiri Pandits were expelled in a very ad-hoc manner, with no documentation. It was an exodus. Picking them out of the mainstream, and sending them back to the valley could be difficult (scope for malpractice).

pankaj nema

Country flag

I would first prefer better facilities for our existing troops both Army and paramilitary like
CRPF .

What has been happening in the last few months is that the Locals start protesting
outside a particular CRPF camp and the state government orders that camp to be
shifted

Our CRPF forces have to lead a nomadic life as a result

pankaj nema

Country flag

Such a housing colony of ex servicemen would be a perfect target for fidayeen attacks

Such a residential colony would have to be protected by hundreds of CRPF men

And if one such fidayeen attack becomes successful it would cause many casualties
of senior citizens causing a lot of GLEE to the separatists and a lot of heart ache
for the rest of India

pankaj nema

Country flag

The entire LAND in Jammu and Kashmir has enormous military significance

In future we will have to construct MORE bases and weapons depots for
storing sufficient Arms and ammunition including BIG items like missiles
Tanks and ICVs for LADAKH front Artilerry guns and MBRL s
like Smerch as well as Heli pads for Apaches and Chinooks

The TWO front war has to fought along the LOC and the LAC simultaneously

During war time many additional divisions ie thousands of troops
will pour in from their peace time locations

So land must be used in the most judicious manner considering future likely scenarios

The forests of J and K will give a a good natural cover both for
our troops and weapons away from the Prying EYES of the Chinese Satellites

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

If ex servicemen are inducted into J&K, that would be contrary to Article 370.

drkrn

The problem is that Kashmiri Pandits were expelled in a very ad-hoc manner, with no documentation. It was an exodus. Picking them out of the mainstream, and sending them back to the valley could be difficult (scope for malpractice).
so be it,we need to maintain political balance against hurriat

drkrn

The entire LAND in Jammu and Kashmir has enormous military significance

In future we will have to construct MORE bases and weapons depots for
storing sufficient Arms and ammunition including BIG items like missiles
Tanks and ICVs for LADAKH front Artilerry guns and MBRL s
like Smerch as well as Heli pads for Apaches and Chinooks

The TWO front war has to fought along the LOC and the LAC simultaneously

During war time many additional divisions ie thousands of troops
will pour in from their peace time locations

So land must be used in the most judicious manner considering future likely scenarios

The forests of J and K will give a a good natural cover both for
our troops and weapons away from the Prying EYES of the Chinese Satellites
road connectivity in J&K is limited( for transport) ,chinese satellites face less difficulty to pick up military units

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag

Ironic how we have to observe all special reservations in that state while Kashmiri Muslims and Muslims in general keep demanding for more and more in rest of the country.

Speaks volumes about what will happen with appeasement if it continues.

Scrap ARTICLE 370. Enforce the scrapping if needed.

It is a threat to national peace. Pandering to such a thankless community and keeping KPs and Buddhists out of the valley just because those Arab-wannabes think that the state belongs to someone from Arabian desert.

No way.

bennedose

If ex servicemen are inducted into J&K, that would be contrary to Article 370.
I personally dislike the idea of filling up any iffy frontier area with retired servicemen based on sweeteners like free land etc. Servicemen too are citizens who have a right to retire into peaceful areas or areas of their choice and not be "led into temptation" to go set up house in some totally new and with unrpedictable political fallout and no guarantee of longterm stability.

I fully support Subramanyam Swamy's idea but the settlers have to be Indian who are not specifically selected from a group retired servicemen.

The Pakistan army actually did encourage ex servicemen to settle in frontier areas with the ulterior motive that they would be on the frontline should there be war. That sounds unfair to me.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

I personally dislike the idea of filling up any iffy frontier area with retired servicemen based on sweeteners like free land etc. Servicemen too are citizens who have a right to retire into peaceful areas or areas of their choice and not be "led into temptation" to go set up house in some totally new and with unrpedictable political fallout and no guarantee of longterm stability.

I fully support Subramanyam Swamy's idea but the settlers have to be Indian who are not specifically selected from a group retired servicemen.

The Pakistan army actually did encourage ex servicemen to settle in frontier areas with the ulterior motive that they would be on the frontline should there be war. That sounds unfair to me.

I agree with what you have said.

However, there are ex servicemen, who are marginal farmers or abjectly poor.

They might be attracted.

I think that Mr Swamy wanted ex servicemen as settlers, since they are trained in warfare and would not bolt at the first sound of a rifle shot. :)

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

I agree with what you have said.

However, there are ex servicemen, who are marginal farmers or abjectly poor.

They might be attracted.

I think that Mr Swamy wanted ex servicemen as settlers, since they are trained in warfare and would not bolt at the first sound of a rifle shot. :)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles