Vegetarians live longer than meat-eaters: study

parijataka

Country flag
Strange that in India being vegetarian is considered backward while in the West vegetarianism is considered elite and something that the liberal lefties espouse!

Vegetarians live longer than meat-eaters: study

It might be time to replace chicken with veggies!

According to a new study, vegetarians - especially men - have a longer lifespan than those who eat meat.

Researchers from the Loma Linda University in California found that vegetarian Adventist men live to an average of 83.3 years and vegetarian women 85.7 years - 9.5 and 6.1 years, respectively, longer than other Californians, the Huffington Post reported.

In the '70s and '80s, a series of studies from the university, which has tracked tens of thousands of Seventh-day Adventists since 1958, were the first to show that vegetarians live longer than meat eaters.

Seventh-day Adventists have long been known as advocates of a vegetarian diet.

The new research presented at Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics' 2012 Food & Nutrition Conference & Expo is halfway into completion and includes 96,000 people from the US and Canada.

Principal investigator Gary E Fraser revealed that the new study found that vegans are, on average, 13 kilogrammes lighter than meat eaters and five units lighter on the Body Mass Index (BMI) scale than meat-eaters.

Vegetarians and vegans are also less insulin resistant than meat-eaters.

Lean people are also more likely to exercise regularly, eat plants, and avoid cigarettes than overweight people, suggesting that numerous factors are boosting the overall health of these participants.

Pesco-vegetarians and semi-vegetarians who limit animal products, but still eat meat once a week or so, have "intermediate protection" against lifestyle diseases, Fraser claimed.

The study whose population is 25 per cent African-American and half vegetarian found that obesity cuts an African-American's life span by 6.2 per cent, and across races, the protective qualities of fat in seniors was not seen.

Previous studies have found past about age 85, people who are obese have a lower risk of dying than normal-weight peers.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Good.

I shall tell the airlines and hotels to earmark me for 'Jain' meals, whatever that means!

lcatejas

Its very true in India .... Minister long live coz they are eating farming fields and jungles ...

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Reminds me of the old joke about married men living longer than single men.

"They don't really live longer; it just seems that way."

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
This study is flawed.

Vegetarians on an average live longer in western countries because they embrace the whole healthy lifestyle. They are more likely to eat healthy, take supplements, exercise, smoke and drink less. (I can find a relevant study if anyone needs).

In India people are vegetarian due to societal or religious reasons and they don't embrace a healthy lifestyle as a whole.

Japan is one of the healthiest countries, they are not vegetarians.

prahladh

Respected Member
If this is an observational study then I wont take it seriously. If there is any scientific evidence then its something to think about.

parijataka

Country flag
This study is flawed.

Vegetarians on an average live longer in western countries because they embrace the whole healthy lifestyle. They are more likely to eat healthy, take supplements, exercise, smoke and drink less. (I can find a relevant study if anyone needs).

In India people are vegetarian due to societal or religious reasons and they don't embrace a healthy lifestyle as a whole.

Japan is one of the healthiest countries, they are not vegetarians.
Agree. What I have a problem is when people say it is `progressive` to eat meat.

Patriot

Country flag
Whatever one eats, at the end it boils down to healthy balanced lifestyle & good nutrition. These kind of studies are more like propagandist in nature.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
I think it has more to do with lifestyle than food.
Then it also depends on the food of the area. Meaning, the veg or non-veg of a partuclar area will not be the same as the other.
For example, ancient cow domesticators like the Indians and Europeans don't have lot of lactose intolerance issues with their cows.
But the US, Africa etc have high lactose intolerance.

Regards,
Virendra

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I think it has more to do with lifestyle than food.
Then it also depends on the food of the area. Meaning, the veg or non-veg of a partuclar area will not be the same as the other.
For example, ancient cow domesticators like the Indians and Europeans don't have lot of lactose intolerance issues with their cows.
But the US, Africa etc have high lactose intolerance.

Regards,
Virendra
Atleast a third or more of North Indian population is lactose intolerant, and this number increases from north to south, it is estimated that over half of South Indians are lactose intolerant.

Americans have largely european ancestry, and Europeans are the least lactose intolerant group.

RedDragon

How many Indians are Vegetarians? Who know the percentage? most of the Indians I meet in the USA are Vegetarians.

chase

Tihar Jail
Banned
How many Indians are Vegetarians? Who know the percentage? most of the Indians I meet in the USA are Vegetarians.
I am not sure but i think it is somewhere near 30%.By Indians here i mean the hindus because the muslims are not veggies

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Indian Vegetarian food, Specially in Punjab :D --->>

Allu ke paratha

+

Cup of ghee

+

Cup milk cream

-----
-----

You take Allu ke paratha and dip in the cup of ghee or malayi and put into your mouth, A big guy eats upto 15 paratha, this is morning breakfast.. :D

In Punjab you will find highest number of diabetics patients..

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
^^ goes to prove my point. Indian Vegetarians have not embraced a healthy lifestyle.

Illusive

Country flag
not to forget how much salt is added to these foods........i think vegetarian food of south India is healthier :rolleyes:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
True, But the amount consumed is a lot & same in Bengal..

Another is adding of ghee into every thing from rise to dal..

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
^ Fats and Proteins are not unhealthy, refined carbs are bad !

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles